Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Had breakfast in The Martello yesterday, lunch in Dockyard and dinner in Ragazzi.

All very good.

Catalyst is the name of the new place opposite Dealz in the old Town Hall Bookshop.

Will be interesting to see how the new pizzeria in Pizzas and Cream will do.

Whats it called???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Whats it called???
    It's called the Old House Pizzeria now - they've been posting pictures on facebook in Bray Open Forum and it looks really nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Really want to try the new pizza place old house. However the way they announced it on BOF put me off. People asked what time they’re open to, and they were like “hmm maybe 10:30pm”. Others asked for a menu and their answer was “were only doing pizzas for now” I’m sorry but how can you open a pizza place without even a pizza menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Really want to try the new pizza place old house. However the way they announced it on BOF put me off. People asked what time they’re open to, and they were like “hmm maybe 10:30pm”. Others asked for a menu and their answer was “were only doing pizzas for now” I’m sorry but how can you open a pizza place without even a pizza menu.

The person commenting on BOF doesn't have English as a first language and that "maybe 10.30" was more "if people stay around later then we'll stay open later" / we'll wait and see how it goes. ..

Hours of restaurants change around in the opening months and for Italian places, they can stay open until the last customers leave - Carpe is a bit like that. That as the impression I got from the person posting.

I also took it that they only have pizzas for now - that was in response to someone looking for pasta. I'm sure they have a pizza menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I am guessing the person who owns it, or at least the person posting on Facebook, is from Romania.
    It does look like they are going to figure a few things out after they open, but that's fine, if they can get it right it deserves to be a success.
    The work they've done on the garden in particular is very nice, if we ever get some sun this year I will certainly try to eat out there.

One thing about it though - the old P&C serves american style pizzas with thick bases and lots of cheese, similar to what you'd get in a take away and this new place is going more for the continental style pizza like you'd get in Platform or Campo.

There's a Mizzoni a few doors down (with plenty of seating) serving the American style pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

fjon wrote: »
    I am guessing the person who owns it, or at least the person posting on Facebook, is from Romania.
    It does look like they are going to figure a few things out after they open, but that's fine, if they can get it right it deserves to be a success.
    The work they've done on the garden in particular is very nice, if we ever get some sun this year I will certainly try to eat out there.

One thing about it though - the old P&C serves american style pizzas with thick bases and lots of cheese, similar to what you'd get in a take away and this new place is going more for the continental style pizza like you'd get in Platform or Campo.

There's a Mizzoni a few doors down (with plenty of seating) serving the American style pizza.

I wouldn't mention P'N'C and Mizzoni in the same breath. It'd be like comparing the frozen patty Burger in a mobile Chipper Van to Box Burger for example. Both 'American Style Burgers' but.........

The point about the new place being a completely new Pizza place just in the old Pizza 'n' Cream premises needs repeating. Lots of people on the Bray Open Forum thinking its Pizza 'n' Cream re-opened with a new name under new management and going down expecting a Pizza 'n' Cream Pizza.

Like you say, its a continental Italian style Pizza they are doing which for some people who prefer that style will be better than Pizza 'n' Creams but for those expecting Pizza 'n' Creams Top Class American Style, expect to be disappointed. This is not a criticism of the new place, its just a matter of taste/preference.

Anyone tried Catalyst yet?

Just been. Nice spot, coffee is good like copper and straw. Sell a load of eco-friendly products like sprays and soaps, seed bombs as well (I think) along with some brew at home coffee gear. One downside is it’s cash only, they at least had a sign up so I knew to get cash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just been. Nice spot, coffee is good like copper and straw. Sell a load of eco-friendly products like sprays and soaps, seed bombs as well (I think) along with some brew at home coffee gear. One downside is it’s cash only, they at least had a sign up so I knew to get cash out.

Seems Bray is becoming hipster central

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Except hipsters don't use cash!

Looked that way yesterday.

I passed by a couple of times during the day and it was busy each time with younger hipper Bray heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

Crafters at the Arcade gift shop is re-opening under new management on Wednesday 3rd of July. Good news!

I was there. Not really my cup of tea to be honest - its more a sort of hipster green place that incidentally sells coffee and has almost no seating. I dont know if its a coffee shop or an environmental shop. Very confusing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Crafters at the Arcade gift shop is re-opening under new management on Wednesday 3rd of July. Good news!

Great news.

There is another business opening next door soon - I think its a takeaway

Terry Pratchet

I was there. Not really my cup of tea to be honest - its more a sort of hipster green place that incidentally sells coffee and has almost no seating. I dont know if its a coffee shop or an environmental shop. Very confusing.

Fair point, I rarely sit at a coffee shop so I didn’t really notice that (I was rushing about so only spotted stuff whilst waiting for my coffee).

I guess at least there’s other options on the Florence Road - Maison Moli’s, the small place beside Vance’s, Leonidas and Gourmet on the corner.

Fair point, I rarely sit at a coffee shop so I didn’t really notice that (I was rushing about so only spotted stuff whilst waiting for my coffee).

I guess at least there’s other options on the Florence Road - Maison Moli’s, the small place beside Vance’s, Leonidas and Gourmet on the corner.

Thats true. I like Maison Mollis. The rest irritate me. Leonidas feels like something out of the 1980s. The little coffee shop is too small and poky and Gourmet - rude staff, almost all food shived into a deep fryer.

Terry Pratchet

Thats true. I like Maison Mollis. The rest irritate me. Leonidas feels like something out of the 1980s. The little coffee shop is too small and poky and Gourmet - rude staff, almost all food shived into a deep fryer.

With the exception of maison moli I never said the options were any good :pac:

Do Leonidas serve food? I've seen the tables and chairs for coffee but have never noticed menus when I've been in buying chocolates.

A few closures in the town. The Hallmark Shop, The Knitting Dock and Reads are to close in October. A shame all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

A few closures in the town. The Hallmark Shop, The Knitting Dock and Reads are to close in October. A shame all round.

Big impact on Main Street given the proximity of Reads & Hallmark, together with reconstruction site opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anvils building is for sale with a big Prime Development Opportunity sign on it aswell, dont know if that means they're gone. Main Street not looking great atm.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Anvils building is for sale with a big Prime Development Opportunity sign on it aswell, dont know if that means they're gone. Main Street not looking great atm.

They say that they will move to a smaller premises in the town once their current premises is sold. Hope so.

Cerco wrote: »
    Big impact on Main Street given the proximity of Reads & Hallmark, together with reconstruction site opposite.

Apparently Hallmark closing is due to retirement. And **** reads their management left a super sour taste in my mouth when opening attacking two local bookstores with less than nice adverts/posters/plots.

Hope their staff can find jobs in better companies.

Does anyone know the current status of the Florentine centre? Will it be open this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Thargor wrote:
    Does anyone know the current status of the Florentine centre? Will it be open this year?

Spring 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Looks like the old Campo is about to reopen as Ripasso (they have an Instragram & Facebook page with some pictures).

Also, great to see the old Cash & Carry building finally gone. Has been an eyesore there for far too long.

Also, great to see the old Cash & Carry building finally gone. Has been an eyesore there for far too long.
    Whats going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats going in there?

70 Apartments in 4-6 storey and 3 retail units on groundfloor with 50 underground parking spaces

Calibos wrote: »
    70 Apartments in 4-6 storey and 3 retail units on groundfloor with 50 underground parking spaces

I love the people on Bray open forum morning about this. I’m in my 30’s and have only known this building as a grubby cash and carry and an awful eyesore for people getting off the dart.

Then they complain that it’s apartments going in, but will be the first complain when there’s no housing being built. Literally cannot win with some of them :D

Literally cannot win with some of them :D

That's Bray Open Forum for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also, in addition to the new development where the old c&c used to be, the whole area in front of the station is getting a revamp as a "transport interchange". Not before time either, that whole area had a distinctively grubby feel to it.

Advertisement