Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I wouldnt say so

Agreed, Greystones which is a smaller town has two super valu’s

• Registered Users Posts: 28,470 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Two SuperValus in Bray will be no problem in my opinion, opposite ends of the town competing for different clients. Tesco is the one who they'll be going up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Would be very surprised if that site reaches PC by Feb/March and then fitted out by June. As someone that works in construction and lives near by I am constantly following progress and can't see it happening with the Xmas break and that coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if that site reaches PC by Feb/March and then fitted out by June. As someone that works in construction and lives near by I am constantly following progress and can't see it happening with the Xmas break and that coming up.

They also dont seem to have an anchor tenant yet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They also dont seem to have an anchor tenant yet

It has to be Dunnes Stores. The state of the present clothes and food market compared to all the others is remarkable.

It can be the only reason they haven't done any work on those stores. Every other one seems to have got an upgrade.

• Advertisement

It has to be Dunnes Stores. The state of the present clothes and food market compared to all the others is remarkable.

It can be the only reason they haven't done any work on those stores. Every other one seems to have got an upgrade.

Thats assuming they have an anchor!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

It would make sense, to me, to close both existing stores and combine them in a single store in the new centre.
    Their current food store is way below standard for a leading supermarket.

I dunno why people complain so much about Dunnes in Bray. Its ok not amazing, it does the job but like Bray doesnt need to be full of Avoca style shops.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I dunno why people complain so much about Dunnes in Bray. Its ok not amazing, it does the job but like Bray doesnt need to be full of Avoca style shops.

I'm with you on this one. It never ceases to amaze me how much they manage to stock in that shop, wobbly floor and all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Ah to be fair, both the food and clothes shops are caught in a time warp compared to the refurbished Dunnes elsewhere.

Bray doesn't need to be full of Avoca style shops but one or two wouldn't go astray.

• Advertisement

Pub on Vevay that used to be Old Court, Kelly's and recently Chrissy D's has relaunched today.

It's now a gastropub called MC's & Harvey. Part of the group that now contains Butler & Barry, Wild Goose, Ardmore & The Anchor.

Looks nice and here's their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hope it does well, that end of the Vevay has been crying out for something half-what decent for years.

Hope it does well, that end of the Vevay has been crying out for something half-what decent for years.

Agreed. Big shame that fire took out the vevay inn.

Terry Pratchet

Are the Duggans not rebuilding The Vevay Inn?

murpho999 wrote: »

That was a rumour 5 years ago, consideeing they have just built firefly I doubt it 5 year old rumours about the vevay are true

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

murpho999 wrote:
    Pub on Vevay that used to be Old Court, Kelly's and recently Chrissy D's has relaunched today.

Pity that you still have to push through a crowd of smokers standing in the doorway, enough to put me off going any further!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

According to John Brady’s Facebook Lidl are confirmed for the AO Smith site, opening spring 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

fjon wrote: »
    According to John Brady’s Facebook Lidl are confirmed for the AO Smith site, opening spring 2021

I always wonder where he gets the time to ring supermarkets to chat to them.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I always wonder where he gets the time to ring supermarkets to chat to them.

He has staff to do it haha.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post

My understanding is that the new owners of the site are at an impasse with the planning authorities. To allow for a new development, with accommodation or that it can only be reinstated as was? All said and done it is a shame to see it undeveloped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

So Lam's on the main street are no longer Apache they are Eskimo Pizza Bray. Got a text from them about an hour ago.

Peckham wrote: »
    Interesting. Just took a look at the planning application on Wicklow County Council website. It's from the Duggans alright, but plans don't have a bar downstairs just a basic coffee Dock by the looks of it.

The coffee shop part of this building is open now and trading as "One14".

Popped in for a coffee at the weekend. Was impressed with the quality of it (similar in taste style to Copper & Straw).

It's a very small premises though so very much a takeaway thing.

Good to see that building being put to use finally. Would be great to see something go into the premises on the other side of the graveyard (just up from Spoons) too.

The coffee shop part of this building is open now and trading as "One14".

Popped in for a coffee at the weekend. Was impressed with the quality of it (similar in taste style to Copper & Straw).

It's a very small premises though so very much a takeaway thing.

Good to see that building being put to use finally. Would be great to see something go into the premises on the other side of the graveyard (just up from Spoons) too.

Its bloody tiny. Very disappointed that the Main Street just got a coffee phone box (not a shop or a dock)

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its bloody tiny. Very disappointed that the Main Street just got a coffee phone box (not a shop or a dock)
    Just sit on the milk crate outside the door and balance your drink on the little box they've provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

Shoe Rack beside the church on the main street has a closing down sale sign up. Gutted.

Thargor wrote: »
    Just sit on the milk crate outside the door and balance your drink on the little box they've provided.

Nah. It's ok thanks. Just wasting space on Main Street.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was sarcasm lol. I don't understand Bray's constantly churning cafe culture at all, I see the place up at Ulster Bank is shuttered already, who could have predicted that? I often wonder if people who try these things are being wiped out or what's the story? Better off putting the money in an apartment and collecting rent forever instead, does this happen in every town?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thargor wrote: »
    It was sarcasm lol. I don't understand Bray's constantly churning cafe culture at all, I see the place up at Ulster Bank is shuttered already, who could have predicted that?

I commented on this before, every second establishment seems to be a coffee shop. It gets a bit tedious.
    Better off putting the money in an apartment and collecting rent forever instead, does this happen in every town?

I would rather different types of shops (part from mobile phone shops).

2011 wrote: »
    I commented on this before, every second establishment seems to be a coffee shop. It gets a bit tedious.

I would rather different types of shops (part from mobile phone shops).

I think Bray is just of it's time, sadly.

The shops we have struggle to stay afloat. I know a few people that use bricks and mortar shops to see items they're planning on buying online.

We're all guilty. If everyone buys online, who will these shops that people want, sell to?

All our main streets will be service st's.

Tatooists
    Hairdressers
    Accountants/solicitors
    Coffee shops
    Bookies
    Restaurants
    Pharmacy's
    Nail salons

Then the only shops left will be will be the charity shops.

• Advertisement

I don't really see the issue with having a small coffee dock like that in that premises. The building sat idle for long enough and could easily have opened with just the B&B element so the coffee dock is just an extra.

The general point though of whether Bray needed another coffee shop is fair though.

One thing that is starting to grate on me though is the absolute negativity surrounding the Town Centre (mainly on Bray Open Forum). As expected there looks to be a further delay in opening but people don't even want to give it a chance to be successful based on the comments I've read.

Advertisement