Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

One thing that is starting to grate on me though is the absolute negativity surrounding the Town Centre (mainly on Bray Open Forum). As expected there looks to be a further delay in opening but people don't even want to give it a chance to be successful based on the comments I've read.

Those guys/gals will complain about anything e.g. 30 apartments announced for the seafront, guy complains cause he can't bring up his family of 4-5 people up in the apartments therefore everyone else must suffer. Even if someone got a letter stating the council has come into some money and decided to give every resident of Bray €1,000 you'd still have some shitehawk complaining there.

Also a lot of them talk through their hoop and like to pretend they know how things work but wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a Philips and Flat-head screwdriver but could solve the delays themselves in their sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

One thing that is starting to grate on me though is the absolute negativity surrounding the Town Centre (mainly on Bray Open Forum). As expected there looks to be a further delay in opening but people don't even want to give it a chance to be successful based on the comments I've read.

Yep - like those people who live here and call Bray a kip.... you know, if I don't like living somewhere, I move.

You have to remember that the Bray Open Forum attracts those with a lot of time on their hands, coupled with stupidity and a lack of a clue of how things work.

So the person who thinks the Stella will fail because she can't afford to bring a family of 6 doesn't realise that there are plenty of people in and around Bray who travel weekly to DL or Dundrum to go to the movies and can't wait for it to open.

The surfers who were out enjoying safe waves were lambasted because people don't understand that the small waves in Bray are not the same as the massive storm waves on the west coast.

Sure look at the ongoing criticism of the Summerfest when it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'm looking forward to having a cinema in walking distance myself and not having to drive to DL to see a film.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, I think the cinema will be a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hilarious. People moaning about people moaning.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Hilarious. People moaning about people moaning.

says the person moaning about people trying to make a living selling coffee ;). In fairness, there's moaning and there's Bray Open Forum moaning, they're so polar opposite it's hilarious :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to having a cinema in walking distance myself and not having to drive to DL to see a film.

I heard a rumour Stella have pulled out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Not sure who started this rumour but I'd be very surprised if that was the case. The company who own the centre, also own the building contractors and Stella cinemas (and a lot more besides).

The contractor's website lists Stella and Elephant & Castle (another of their businesses) as tenants.

http://oakmount.ie/portfolio/bray-town-centre-bray/

I heard a rumour Stella have pulled out :confused:

Yes.
    Thats an unsubstantiated rumour alright

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

zoobizoo wrote: »
    So the person who thinks the Stella will fail because she can't afford to bring a family of 6 doesn't realise that there are plenty of people in and around Bray who travel weekly to DL or Dundrum to go to the movies and can't wait for it to open.

LOL - I was literally just about to quote this person who assumed it would fail because she couldn't afford to take her family of 6. Bray Open Forums is gas. People with too much time on their hands, abusing people/constant moaning from behind their screens about literally anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LOL - I was literally just about to quote this person who assumed it would fail because she couldn't afford to take her family of 6. Bray Open Forums is gas. People with too much time on their hands, abusing people/constant moaning from behind their screens about literally anything.

she was assuming it would be the same price as the Stella in Rathmines, which is substantially more expensive than the likes of Dundrum and Dun Laoghaire because it offers a theatre-style experience with food and booze etc.

AFAIK the Bray cinema will have one screen like that but the others will be standard cinemas, presumably at standard prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Yes, but despite (or because of) all that it can be tremendously entertaining :D

New creperie just opened on Bray Main Street.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

New creperie just opened on Bray Main Street.

Was in there for the opening...food was delicious. .although it was free....😊

Was in there for the opening...food was delicious. .although it was free....😊

The food is lovely. They need a few service and decor improvements.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Looking forward to trying out that crepe place!

Another pharmacy (Pure Pharmacy) has opened in one of the units beside Ulster Bank. Also a sign up in the former Mix'd saying they are reopening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 DankeyKang

The food is lovely. They need a few service and decor improvements.

Agreed, food great but other improvements needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

1 in 8 shop units in Bray are now empty, what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

vriesmays wrote: »
    1 in 8 shop units in Bray are now empty, what's going on.

Well in the case of a certain design/print shop/bookshop that was on the main st. the landlord wanted to double the rent so they decided to close up shop.

Now the property is empty and will be for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Well in the case of a certain design/print shop/bookshop that was on the main st. the landlord wanted to double the rent so they decided to close up shop.

And then they bought Dubray!

• Advertisement

Wheres the source of that story? Never heard it before

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Cerco wrote: »

Pretty sure Joey is looking for a source that the landlord wanted to double the rent and not that Eason's (who own Read's) bought Dubray as that's public knowledge.

Yeah where is the source that Reads landlord wanted to double the rent?

It looks like unsubstantiated gossip to be honest

The manager posted on facebook and never mentioned it.

Hi All.

It is with great regret that Reads will be leaving Bray in October.
    We will miss the support from local customers and businesses alike we have had for the last 5 years.
    This is simply a commercial decision due to the very high costs of rent, rates and increasing insurance costs.
    Our decision was made a little easier due to the new online store we will be launching soon
    This is a wonderful new site specially designed for ease of use and with a huge selection of products.
    You can purchase online with massive savings and get your purchases delivered to your door, so there will still be no need to pay high prices for books, stationery and printing elsewhere.
    Over the next few months we will be launching a new loyalty scheme plus regular special offers for you to avail of.

Thanks again to everyone in Bray and surrounding areas and we hope you will still shop with Reads.

Reads Management

Terry Pratchet

It looks like unsubstantiated gossip to be honest

The manager posted on facebook and never mentioned it.

Hi All.

It is with great regret that Reads will be leaving Bray in October.
    We will miss the support from local customers and businesses alike we have had for the last 5 years.
    This is simply a commercial decision due to the very high costs of rent, rates and increasing insurance costs.
    Our decision was made a little easier due to the new online store we will be launching soon
    This is a wonderful new site specially designed for ease of use and with a huge selection of products.
    You can purchase online with massive savings and get your purchases delivered to your door, so there will still be no need to pay high prices for books, stationery and printing elsewhere.
    Over the next few months we will be launching a new loyalty scheme plus regular special offers for you to avail of.

Thanks again to everyone in Bray and surrounding areas and we hope you will still shop with Reads.

Reads Management

Not gonna be able to try out a nice pen on a teeny tiny piece of paper online, though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The manager did make reference to the "very high costs of rent".

Not gonna be able to try out a nice pen on a teeny tiny piece of paper online, though.

On the bright side maybe at last we'll have somewhere where we can get some food or a coffee ......:rolleyes:

BTW...anyone know whats happening in Ardmore studios..??...lot of clearing out of buildings and sets....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Getting ready for the new Ben Affleck movie shoot maybe?

Getting ready for the new Ben Affleck movie shoot maybe?

I'm hoping theyre not selling off land for yet more apartments....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement