Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

2011 wrote: »
    The manager did make reference to the "very high costs of rent".

They didnt say the rent doubled no. There is no substance to the claim other than someone said it here. There's no reliable source for the claim at all. As I said above I can only conclude it may be gossip given that it cant be reliably backed up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They didnt say the rent doubled no. There is no substance to the claim other than someone said it here. There's no reliable source for the claim at all. As I said above I can only conclude it may be gossip given that it cant be reliably backed up.

Agree completely, however the statement attributed to the manager made it clear that the “very high rent” was a factor.

2011 wrote: »
    Agree completely, however the statement attributed to the manager made it clear that the “very high rent” was a factor.

Yes. I am doubtful of the claim it was doubled or threatened to be doubled. I dont think a threatened 100% increase was made or there would be much more proof of it. Thats my point.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

I see Boston Donuts is opening up in Bray... Not entirely sure where abouts but it has just popped up on Facebook.

It's good to see that some of the empty locations might not be for much longer. Although no fear of me becoming addicted, in my own opinion, Boston Donuts are not my favourite, they're quite heavy.. but who am I to judge ;)

I never knew Notionz closed until I passed an empty shop the other day. Very sad. I expect some Bray businesses just might never reopen now.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It's good to see that some of the empty locations might not be for much longer.

It’s always good to see new businesses opening up but unfortunately I think we will see a lot more closing than opening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I never knew Notionz closed until I passed an empty shop the other day. Very sad. I expect some Bray businesses just might never reopen now.

It's gone a while actually. Pity though, as the staff were always very friendly and t was a good spot for a voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

They closed to to the building not being safe for them to trade in

"We are very sad to announce that we are closing our
    Notionz shop in Bray. Unfortunately due to structural issues with the building it is no longer fit to trade in and we have been left with no choice. It has been a really hard decision to make and we want to take this opportunity to say a HUGH THANKS to all our customers in Bray who have supported us since we opened in 2007.
    We are running a closing down sale at the moment so please call in with any Notionz vouchers or credit notes you may have, or alternatively they can be redeemed in our Notionz shops in Nutgrove shopping centre Rathfarnham or Millfield shopping centre Balbriggan. If you have any stock issues or any other queries you can contact us on sales@notionz.ie.
    So it’s good bye to Bray for the moment from
    Margaret and Ger"

Anyone want to take a guess as to how covid19 is going to affect the new Town centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone want to take a guess as to how covid19 is going to affect the new Town centre?

Supervalu up on the Southern Cross is going full steam ahead anyway, I pass it every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

I see insomnia and Lloyds pharmacist going in to the primary health care centre bizarre not to mention private practice carlton clinic...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Hi - slightly off topic but are any businesses in bray delivering cakes? have a birthday coming up
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Boston donuts - got a delivery yesterday - nom!

Cliffage wrote: »
    Hi - slightly off topic but are any businesses in bray delivering cakes? have a birthday coming up
    thanks

Keegans are open on Main Street

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I see the old Central Garage building up the Main Street getting kitted out to be Tres Amigos Mexican. Big enough a building, wonder if they'll be doing eat in? Weird time to be opening but would love a local Mexican that lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Some more coffee shop news (it has been quite a while!)

New coffee shop open on Meath Road near the hair dressers. Odd location, looks decent enough.

Catalyst are moving into the Ocean building. Not sure if it’s temporary, but that’s a massive building for just a coffee shop.

fjon wrote: »
    Some more coffee shop news (it has been quite a while!)

New coffee shop open on Meath Road near the hair dressers. Odd location, looks decent enough.

Catalyst are moving into the Ocean building. Not sure if it’s temporary, but that’s a massive building for just a coffee shop.

Prob just temporary I'd guess

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Looks like Lifestyle Sports have closed shop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tippex wrote: »
    Looks like Lifestyle Sports have closed shop too.
    Do you mean lockdown or they're gone for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Wouldn't surprise me if it was gone for good :-(
    There was less and less stock every time I went in recently. There is so little footfall on the main street really.
    Most people were going in for click and collect or head to Carrickmines. Maybe they are planning to reopen in the Town Centre but I fear the whole centre is starting to look like a white elephant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,469 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How can you say the new centre is looking like a white elephant when it is still being built and nothing is confirmed yet?

Lifestyle Sports would hardly be a massive indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

murpho999 wrote: »
    How can you say the new centre is looking like a white elephant when it is still being built and nothing is confirmed yet?

Lifestyle Sports would hardly be a massive indicator.

I want it to succeed as much as the next person. But frankly I'm a bit concerned. There is still no anchor confirmed.

We have seen Allen, Connollys, shoe zone, shoe rack, Notionz, Reads, Wigoders close down in the last 2 years alone. (I've even probably forgotten a few)

There are 10+ empty units on the main street. The majority of the main street/ Bray is pharmacies, charity shops and shops selling very low price goods (tiger, dealz, Claire's, various Euro shops- one of which even closed)
    Some of these have been empty for years (e.g old ESB shop/ Bank of Scotland, old Abracadabra)

Anvil is on the way out, if Lifestyle goes that is another one.
    Why would a retailer decide to open in the centre when the Main St can't hack it. If people don't shop in Bray now why would they start? The fact that more shops have shut since building has started (you'd think the centre opening would attract more nearby retail also) is concerning.

I have lived in Bray all my life but I am worried.
    I have walked down the Main St on a Saturday and the footfall is minimal. Covid has hit jobs and businesses now as well.

The centre has been delayed time and again (and that is before we get into the whole Florentine debacle)

The previous cinema died, everyone went to Dundrum.

Carrickmines sold a corner site there at the roundabout a few years ago and there are plans to develop a shopping centre to rival Dundrum. They have parking, Bray does not and has a terrible traffic problem on Main St and Vevay.

Other regens such as Dun Laoghaire have failed with 2 empty S.C.s there.

I sound like a doom merchant. Everything points to potential failure. That is why it looks like a white elephant to me. My heart wishes that I am 100% wrong. My head says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Something else that concerns me is that despite other sites reopening, the old Value Center Cash & Carry site opposite the Train Station hasn't as far as I can see. Are we going to go from a decrepit derelict old cash and carry for 2 decades to a half built concrete shell of an apartment complex for the next 2 decades?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Calibos wrote: »
    Something else that concerns me is that despite other sites reopening, the old Value Center Cash & Carry site opposite the Train Station hasn't as far as I can see. Are we going to go from a decrepit derelict old cash and carry for 2 decades to a half built concrete shell of an apartment complex for the next 2 decades?

Some sites have yet to open as they need to prepare the site for COVID 19 safety measures. If you can't satisfy these measures you cannot open. That site looks fairly compact. The main contractor may not have been able to put the measures in place.

In saying that, the apartment site on the seafront has reopened which is similar in size. Workers have been on that site since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Some sites have yet to open as they need to prepare the site for COVID 19 safety measures. If you can't satisfy these measures you cannot open. That site looks fairly compact. The main contractor may not have been able to put the measures in place.

In saying that, the apartment site on the seafront has reopened which is similar in size. Workers have been on that site since last week.

Could be delays in getting materials too. We’re building an extension at the moment and there are delays getting steel beams we need as the supplier isn’t at 100% capacity due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fox233

Anyone know if Forno on the Albert Walk is still open? I walked past about 5/6 weeks ago and they were serving pizza / treats through the window. Passed it again today and the shopfront logo appears to have been painted over. The shutter was halfway up with the lights off inside but the menu still hanging on the window.

I'm dying to try their pizza which I hear is tasty and looks very reasonable. Anyone know what the story is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

fox233 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Forno on the Albert Walk is still open? I walked past about 5/6 weeks ago and they were serving pizza / treats through the window. Passed it again today and the shopfront logo appears to have been painted over. The shutter was halfway up with the lights off inside but the menu still hanging on the window.

I'm dying to try their pizza which I hear is tasty and looks very reasonable. Anyone know what the story is ?

I've been getting coffees there for the last few weeks but not sure if they're doing pizza at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Had the Pizza out of Forno a few times. €6.50 for a nine inch pizza, bargain, plus they are very tasty.

Would recommend. Was there on Monday so still operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Had the Pizza out of Forno a few times. €6.50 for a nine inch pizza, bargain, plus they are very tasty.

Would recommend. Was there on Monday so still operating.

Lovely lads too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Another coffee place now opened up the Arcade - Contemporary Coffee Co.

I actually like that we have a decent number of good coffee outlets now and not just a bunch of chains (I know we have Costa & Starbucks).

Also noticed that Fleurtique have moved to a bigger premises nextdoor to the old one and launched a party supplies section to the shop too.

Advertisement