Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭beachhead

Apparently there is a retailer about to sign up as the major anchor.

That's funny because the national media stated approx 2 years ago that none of the "major" retailers in the Republic were interested as it's too close to Dundrum.So,unless a sweetener is being given?

I agree. Something like they've done in Blackrock would be nice. Dunnes have strange offerings in this town. The grocery shop seems to pack an unbelievable amount of stock into a relatively small shop and the clothes shop, particularly the menswear, is like something caught in a timewarp. The clothes never seem to change

Min don't shop for clothes in Dunnes.It was run down to the minimum in Bray 20 years ago.Time travellers shud know that

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

beachhead wrote: »
    That's funny because the national media stated approx 2 years ago that none of the "major" retailers in the Republic were interested as it's too close to Dundrum.So,unless a sweetener is being given?

Where was this reported? never saw it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Been saying for years that Penneys would do very well, as their 'price point' (as they say on the telly..lol) is so low that it's the sort of place where you'd (well I'd) pop in for a quick look while passing and probably buy up to five items. Plus those who can't just nip into Dun Laoghaire or Dundrum would be glad of a Bray Penneys.

Ah well...

Been saying for years that Penneys would do very well, as their 'price point' (as they say on the telly..lol) is so low that it's the sort of place where you'd (well I'd) pop in for a quick look while passing and probably buy up to five items. Plus those who can't just nip into Dun Laoghaire or Dundrum would be glad of a Bray Penneys.

Ah well...

Its very much a class thing I think. Middle class people want a nice Dunnes Stores and working class people want Penneys for the prices.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,469 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Its very much a class thing I think. Middle class people want a nice Dunnes Stores and working class people want Penneys for the prices.

Don't agree with this at all as plenty of middle class people shop in Penneys.

It's hugely popular.

I just think Dunnes would be a better option.

Would be good to have both but I think another poster here pointed out that the unit sizes are too small for Penneys' requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I have heard from someone who may know, that it is pennys.
    Previously I had heard it was too small for pennys, so maybe I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Middle class over fiftys maybe . Penny's replicates trending fashion chung ones love it. Pennys would be great for the town

redmgar wrote: »
    I have heard from someone who may know, that it is pennys.
    Previously I had heard it was too small for pennys, so maybe I am wrong.

Yeah and I heard its not Penneys because they demanded a year or two rent free from Oakmount who said no. I dont believe the rumours about anything because there are constantly so many rumours flying around.

Terry Pratchet

Penneys and Dunnes said "no"years ago.Penneys because of Dun Laoire and Dundrum.Dunnes because of Cornelscourt-they were asked to close their 2 stores in Bray and move.If,either move in now it's because they are paid to with a special deal.They could be required to keep the place afloat/look presentable/alive/generate traffic.The retail environment has not improved since 1997 when this project was first proposed.A cinema was also mooted.Any comment on the viability of that?

• Advertisement

beachhead wrote: »
    Penneys and Dunnes said "no"years ago.Penneys because of Dun Laoire and Dundrum.Dunnes because of Cornelscourt-they were asked to close their 2 stores in Bray and move.If,either move in now it's because they are paid to with a special deal.They could be required to keep the place afloat/look presentable/alive/generate traffic.The retail environment has not improved since 1997 when this project was first proposed.A cinema was also mooted.Any comment on the viability of that?

How do people know these things about demands on Penneys and Dunnes from years ago and their responses to it?

Who asked Dunnes to move and to where?

As for a cinema, Bray had supported two cinemas in the 70s and then the Royal remained but lost out as it didn't modernise.

New Stella concept should do well in Bray but I'm curious as to what films they'll show in 5 screens. Will they be older films or will the big blockbusters be shown.

I hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do people know these things about demands on Penneys and Dunnes from years ago and their responses to it?

Who asked Dunnes to move and to where?

As for a cinema, Bray had supported two cinemas in the 70s and then the Royal remained but lost out as it didn't modernise.

New Stella concept should do well in Bray but I'm curious as to what films they'll show in 5 screens. Will they be older films or will the big blockbusters be shown.

I hope it works out.

Me too. Only 5 minutes from the main street so would love to have access to a cinema so close by.

murpho999 wrote: »

I know. Its all unsubstantiated rumour.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Middle class over fiftys maybe . Penny's replicates trending fashion chung ones love it. Pennys would be great for the town

I've got 4 months left in my fifties, and I'd like a Penneys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd like a Penney's too, not that I buy stuff there but it would finally put an end to the near 20 year old rumour that Penney's are coming to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Any update on this?

redmgar wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Nope. Level 5 lockdown meant construction work stopped.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Digiteer

The massive building site between Ballyogan and Stepaside is open and many working away all week.!!

Digiteer wrote: »
    The massive building site between Ballyogan and Stepaside is open and many working away all week.!!

The two apartment building sites in Bray (one at the train station and the other on the seafront still operating) too.

I'm not sure how they have managed to continue to operate, not that I'm complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I noticed that there was still work going on on a few sites for a while after the level 5 lockdown started, but they've all stopped now. I think some were allowed to continue until they reached a stage where they were weather proof and could be left. There's a social housing project near me that's been going on for years now, and even that seems to have ground to a halt.

• Advertisement

As the Council has signed a 25 year lease on the DART station apartments they are probably tecnhnically speaking deemed as social housing and therefore essentisl and allowed to stay open.

Thanks for update on that. I wasn't aware that the apartments would be council. I didn't see them advertised for sale so that answers the question.

As the Council has signed a 25 year lease on the DART station apartments they are probably tecnhnically speaking deemed as social housing and therefore essentisl and allowed to stay open.

OK, makes sense but how are they still working on apartments being built at old "Cois Farraige" site? That's a definitely a private development.

I have no idea.

Unless it falls under this from Level 5 restrictions.
    in relation to private homes that are practically complete and scheduled for habitation by 31 January 2021, including where snagging, and essential remediation work, such as pyrite works is nearing completion, works should continue to enable homeowners access their homes. Heating, water, broadband and electricity installation should also continue to enable homes be occupied

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Executive barber's up for sale.
    Is Tommy retiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Executive barber's up for sale.
    Is Tommy retiring?

Think he retired last year

Yes, retired last October.

Here's a nice article from the Bray People.

Only got to know Tommy the last 2/3 years or so. An absolute gent.

I'd tell the other half I'm going to get my haircut and she would say see you in 2 hours as Tommy would spend more time talking than cutting my hair.

I'm only new to Bray so was great listening to his stories on the history of the town.

Website brochure has been updated for Bray Central.

Seems to be some small food units added to the centre walkway and the original large awning, seating underneath and trees dotted around have been removed. Primarily now looking like one big food court. No anchor tenant mentioned yet.

https://braycentral.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Muji
    Tower Records
    Siopa Vino (although this looks to be generic)
    Dollard & Co

Two/Three of these are nice, Muji does lovely stationery, would be nice to have a good wine shop, Dollard & Co is a nice option for the odd fancy shop (say for a date night meal at home), Tower records though? Must be still a big vinyl boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

The kiosk things look weird. I can't seem there will be much demand for those - maybe a smoothie shop and coffee shop, but can't see what else they would be used for.

I wonder what will happen to the Bray Bowl after this. Surely there's no need for two bowling alleys 5 mins walk apart?

Advertisement