Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bray's traffic problem could be eased somewhat by changing the lights sequencing at Corke Abbey and Royal Corner as they cause all the problems.

Too many cars cause all the problems. The only solution is to force as many people out of them as possible. Whether they prefer them or not is immaterial. It's not just Corke Abbey and the Royal; with so many sets of traffic lights within such close proximity of each other, the Main Street can only take so many cars before you get the gridlock that we see every single day. The problem begins with the lights at the town hall, with traffic often backed up almost to the Church Rd junction. And then you've got Florence and Quinsborough Rd junctions within a stone's throw of each other. The town's just not built for the amount of cars trying to use it, and no amount of fiddling with traffic light sequencing will fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Too many cars cause all the problems. The only solution is to force as many people out of them as possible. Whether they prefer them or not is immaterial. It's not just Corke Abbey and the Royal; with so many sets of traffic lights within such close proximity of each other, the Main Street can only take so many cars before you get the gridlock that we see every single day. The problem begins with the lights at the town hall, with traffic often backed up almost to the Church Rd junction. And then you've got Florence and Quinsborough Rd junctions within a stone's throw of each other. The town's just not built for the amount of cars trying to use it, and no amount of fiddling with traffic light sequencing will fix that.

I didn't say they'd be totally fixed but eased somewhat. The lights slow the traffic down and are not smart or sequenced correctly.

I find once you get past the Royal that you can go up the town pretty easily and going the opposite direction by town hall not that bad.

I strongly believe the idea of forcing people out of cars and the lights, roads, and junctions need to be improved to change it.
    For example would around about at Corke Abbey aid traffic flow instead of lights as most of the traffic flows in and out of the town but get stuck to let less traffic out at Corke Abbey and Old Conna?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whats going on at Dickers?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Too many cars cause all the problems. The only solution is to force as many people out of them as possible.

Thats the eventual plan

https://wicklownews.net/2021/04/arklow-selected-as-wicklows-first-decarbonisation-zone/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Annasopra wrote: »
    Whats going on at Dickers?

They're selling 40 year old clock radios?

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    They're selling 40 year old clock radios?

It has scaffolding on the building

Terry Pratchet

Spoons being painted - looks like it is closing or changing hands

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Saw a sign on Eddie Rocket's saying it is opening again soon.

Spoons being painted - looks like it is closing or changing hands

Was a very odd place I found. Handpainted signs, bizarre opening hours (coffee shop often closed on Saturdays), closed doors and curtains on windows was not very inviting and an unimaginative menu.

It could be a great spot with large windows overlooking the river.

In fact I would love to see the riverside developed more with more businesses like cafes, bars and restaurants overlooking the river.

Agreed on spoons. I never got it. Everything seemed strange.

I hear the Bar formerly known as Clancys is reopening soon.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Agreed on spoons. I never got it. Everything seemed strange.

I hear the Bar formerly known as Clancys is reopening soon.

Is that on the Quinsborough Road beside the Asian restaurant? Seen some work going on in there the other day and what looked like an existing bar.

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Is that on the Quinsborough Road beside the Asian restaurant? Seen some work going on in there the other day and what looked like an existing bar.

Yep.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I have heard one of the builders of the new Bray town center has gone bust. Work seems to have stopped in the last two weeks. Thought it was just about to open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

I see east coast providers has opened on the boghall road ,behind the old courthouse.
    Was in there the other day getting cement and stone ,might be useful to any builders ,DIY people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I have heard one of the builders of the new Bray town center has gone bust. Work seems to have stopped in the last two weeks. Thought it was just about to open too.

Thought it was just Paddy Mc's Oakmount working on it. If he's gone then what does that mean for Press Up?

ittakestwo wrote: »

No work has started since the construction lock down has been lifted.

A councillor for the area was on Bray Open FB Forum stating that work is due to kick back off soon enough.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/bray-central-works-are-blighted-by-delays-40568393.html

Update in last week's Bray People.

A lot of people just seem to want this project to fall and rumours going around everywhere about bankruptcies and not being finished.
    Covid has certainly caused delays but this project is too far gone to shut down at this stage.
    Large company behind it so an individual builder going bust (if true) will not stop this now.

murpho999 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/bray-central-works-are-blighted-by-delays-40568393.html

Update in last week's Bray People.

A lot of people just seem to want this project to fall and rumours going around everywhere about bankruptcies and not being finished.
    Covid has certainly caused delays but this project is too far gone to shut down at this stage.
    Large company behind it so an individual builder going bust (if true) will not stop this now.

Thanks for the update. Yes, I was of the same opinion that the project is too near completion for the plug to be pulled.

Working in the construction industry myself and I'm well aware of the issues with finding skilled tradesmen throughout the country.

Hopefully it gets back on track soon enough.

On another note I see that new pub on Quinnsborough Road is ready to open. They obviously planned on indoor opening to kick off on the 5th of July.

So the rumours about bust builders are complete nonsense then.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Annasopra wrote:
    So the rumours about bust builders are complete nonsense then.

Like 90% of the ill-informed nonsense posted by "people in the know" on BOF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

So Maison Moli are taking over the food operation in Jim's?

That's what I heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Jim Doyle's on the seafront? They would be great. I did notice some work going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

It still looks like nothing has re-started on the shopping center... :/

Is there any word what will be filling the spaces up at the new Supervalue on the Southern Cross?

Went for a walk around the town and seafront yesterday evening, was great to see more places open and busy.

Not gonna lie, the lack of discussion, activity, updates on the Bray Town Centre is worrying at this point. Have we become so used to disappointment at that 20 year venture now that we no longer care? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the lack of discussion here is due to the ongoing death of boards technical difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I came on here to see if there was any mention of the opening date for Lidl on the Boghall Road - as a lot of progress has been made, and even today, Sunday, there are people working on the paving.

I'm guessing a lot of people have transferred their 'business' when it comes to such matters to BOF on the popular social media site.

To be honest I think all the silly season rumours arent worth discussing.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I see the Mexican place gone and flower cup expanded. Flower cup food is decent so its a good move.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement