Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

SF TD and Councillors have put up facebook updates on Bray Central

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

to save people from going looking for it

John Brady TD:

Had a meeting today with the developers of Bray Central and got a tour of the new Centre.

An important milestone was passed this week for the center as it passed the planning verification process. Over the last few months planning control and the developers where engaged in this process and now complete things will hopefully move forward quickly.

The 2 restaurants are fully fitted out and hopefully over the next couple of weeks there will be positive movement there.

The fitting out of the 6 screen cinema is also progressing well.

Now that the verification process is done, that will allow the process of the contracts with the tenants that are lined up to be progressed and signed.

I think many will be happy with the 2 possible main anchor tenants that had been awaiting the verification process to be concluded. Other tenants are also lined up for other units.

I know there has been a lot of frustration with the pace of the Florentine Centre saga which has gone on now for over 20 years, I have been very vocal over the years about the entire debacle.

I hope we are finally starting to see the light at the end of this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I can only see posting from John Brady on FB.

Can't find anything from any Councillors though.

Either way it seems positive but I don't get what this "verification process" is and it still seems very vague to me.

Funny how people are replying to him too saying that the place will never open and it's all lies despite Brady posting photos of fully fitted out Elephant & Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

In fairness, they said it would open in May. Now it's nearly September and they're telling Brady it will open "soon" and that the anchor tenants are still a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I work in the construction industry and work on large scale projects. I've never heard of a building having to pass the 'planning verification process' before. I have been involved in pre-construction works for planning but never came across it after the building had been constructed.

• Advertisement

Well I got the impression that Brady knows who they are but can't say.

I know it has been delayed and people will be sceptical but there's been a lot of factors over the years but it's obvious now it's very close and for people to say it will never happen and it's all lies is baseless nonsense in my opinion.

Of course its baseless nonsense. Its standard social media commentary; conspiracy, making stuff up and abusing politicians

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Bray People has report this week. Not much in it apart from Press Up restaurants and car park opening within weeks.

Still no update on anchors which I still find bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

A guy on BOF who seems to always be very confidently defending the build, has stated that all the retail units have now been signed for by tenants and they are not "starbucks or €2 shops".... I guess thats a good sign, right?

No. Never believe rumours on BOF. 🤣. Sure they tried to put up all sorts extreme racist scurrlious material about 3 years ago that was completely fabricated and untrue.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Councillors updated with "There is no update" at last council meeting.

I still find it very odd that it's taking so long to finalise "legal technicalities" makes me think they still don't have any anchors as there's nothing new or groundbreaking about what they are offering that would make their contracts more complicated than other shop tenancies completed.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

Its a p*ss take at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I see the wine shop on the Main Street has closed.

A pity but not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I would presume that the wine shop was a short term let. It looked like a pop-up shopfront. Pity to see it close as it's a prime location.

If you haven't tried Igufi on the Albert Walk, you really should.

Very good pizzas and nice salad. Have a beer and watch the world go by when you're waiting for a takeaway pizza.

They do a daily pasta special, a very good side salad and very nice tirimasu.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Lovely pizza and the staff are realy nice. They did up the price of their pizza's though when the changed opening hours. But still reasonable enough and would also recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Hmmm. Well it was a long pop up! I bought stuff there for last Christmas, so I want to say it's there a year.

Maybe they took a year lease renewable and looked into next year and said Nah!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭browne_rob5

They posted on Insta that they couldn't make that unit work for them financially so didn't renew. They said they are hoping to maintain a presence in Bray.

It must be difficult to sell enough wine to make a profit. Margin must be low enough when they are competing with off license and supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There's definitely a market for a quirky more refined wine shop in Bray, the location wasn't the best for a commuter coming home and picking up a bottle or two for the weekend. You ain't going to park in the church car park, walk down etc. much easier to pull into O'briens or Tesco.

I don't see how a shop on the main shopping street (allegedly) is a bad location for a shop.

However, a shop selling just wine is pretty niche and that's probably why it's gone.

If rent issue is true then I'm sure they could move in as new anchor in Bray Central.😀

• Advertisement

The location was great for awareness of the shop but not ideal for those who can't make it to the Main St during the week.

Bray Main St. between the hours of 10 and 5pm isn't full of affluent high end wine buyers. Although I never entered the shop so I'm not sure what there price points were.

The reason I mentioned Pop Up was because the signage didn't give the impression of a long term retailer.

I hadn't realised that they were part of a chain, albeit a small chain, of shops.

Hollands off license had been my go to place to buy craft beers. Jay was very knowledgeable and it's a pity there isn't something similar around.

Another vote for Igufi. Limited menu but what they have they do very well and it's one of the few reasonable places left when it comes to the wallet.

I believe rental properties in Bray are ridiculously expensive plus you also pay council rates

Terry Pratchet

Deleted

Link broken

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

The old €2 shop, which had been the original 'Bray Sports Centre' has been renovated and is now a new dental centre. Looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Bray Sports Centre - completely forgot about that place. That was quite a while ago! Good to see that building finally in use again.

Cllr Aoife Flynn Kennedys website has an update

Bray Central

We have all been waiting patiently for the opening of the new shopping centre and that wait is now coming even closer to an end. Firstly, there was a requirement on the developers to bring the building to practical completion, which means building of the shell and core. This is now done, and the Council issued practical completion certificates at the beginning of September.

This has now activated the next step which is the legal transfer of title over to the developer. The Council had retained an interest in the site as a precautionary measure in case there were any difficulties with the building being constructed. As this is now complete the legal title is being transferred over.

Once the legal title is complete the Developers can open the shopping centre within days and sign leases on any of the units. It is expected that the first units to open will be the restaurants and car park, as well as the main walkway through the centre itself. Wow Burger is already fully fitted out and ready to open its doors.

Now that we are at this stage the developers will shortly be in a position to announce all tenants. So when will this happen and who are they? This is the question on my mind and probably on the minds of most of the town.

The honest answer is we don’t know. There are legal and commercial issues at play here. It is the developer, not the Council who has the right to make these announcements, but it is worth noting that they have invested heavily into this project and are as eager as we are to see it open. I am patiently watching this space.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Pretty frustrating re Bray Central. Not sure why this process couldn't have been outlined more clearly earlier. First mention I've heard of legal transfer of the site being required. Wonder how long that takes. Hopefully will hit no legal speedbumps along the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

so literally no updates then?

• Advertisement

The update is above. Pretty much stating the title transfer from the council to the developer will be soon.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement