Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Indeed. And I actually think its a relatively good idea to have apartments at Bray Central.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Any links to support that? Doesn't look like what the owners have applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Butler cafe opening in the shopping centre

While all business is welcomed, there is already a sports shop, health shop and chocolate cafe on Bray main street or just off it. Now all being replicated with bigger versions in the shopping centre. Not sure what was to be expected but not a whole lot to excite.

• Advertisement

One of the sunday papers reports Penneys and sports direct

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Couldn't think of a more depressing pairing than those 2 tbh, so grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't agree with all of this.

Penneys was always favoured and many people wanted it, judging by comments here and on Bray Open Forum. So I think it's something that will add to the town and should be welcomed as Penneys are now one of the largest clothes retailers in the world.

Sports Direct, on the other hand, is grim as you state. Shop sells second rate brands at knock down prices, horrible shop front design, horrible boss etc not a fan.

However, people have to accept that Bray Central is not a shopping centre or a retail park. It's not Dundrum nor Carrickmines. It's effectively a new street with less footfall than other places so it's going to attract lesser brands/shops.

I think they've done well to get Penneys. Also, I think Butlers is a good addition they normally have nice shops and coffee, with great chocolate.

I really don't know what shops people are expecting as people just complain about what is going in and don't say what they would like.

Are people expecting Brown Thomas, Zara and H&M to be there?

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

So true! What are people expecting to open up on Bray Main Street? Gucci? Prada? We saw the uproar when the cinema was announced to be Stella… “the ticket prices will be crazy I’m not going”.. don’t go.. nobody cares… also don’t shop on the shops that do open if you don’t like them… simple!

80% of the comments about Bray Town Centre are painfully negative and repetitive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

I have to disagree with you on the sports shop bit (actually not sure if I'm agreeing or disagreeing.

Lifestyle in bray is a horrendous shop to go into. Now it is a depressing shop to go into with the lack of selection. They are a sports clothing shop, nothing more. I don't expect sports direct to be any better. The days of Bray sports are well and truly gone, unfortunately.

For all their sins I would much prefer sports direct in there than an empty store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

Somebody has also mentioned a EuroSpar occupying a shop!

Not Gucci no. Personally, I would have liked to see Dunnes Stores going in with extended range of homeware and clothing. Their shop on the main street does very well so I think a larger unit could have easily supported this.

I would imagine this would have had more universal appeal than another sports shop (albeit a better one than Lifestyle).

I dont think that was ever going to happen because they own their premises on Main Street and wouldnt want to close it to pay rent to developer.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you dont like SportsDirect for ethical reasons then you should really hate Pennys/Primark, the absolute definition of the modern evil sweatshop disposable clothing humanitarian and environmental horrorshow, so yes I stand by my grim assessment.

I would rather go to work in a towel than shop there but last Winter my mother asked me to go in and get a furry water bottle for her that she wanted, looking at it after I bought it I found it had been made in Myanmar! It was like they were admitting that the conventional South East Asian sweatshop operations werent horrible enough for them.

Post edited by Thargor on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Dunnes were looking for 5 years rent free apparently.

My thoughts on Penneys: "made for kids, by kids". Not a place I shop in but it will draw in a lot of people.

Butlers too is a draw and a brand name. I've heard a few people excited about it, people who'd normally avoid Sterbuxks and support independents. They'll go to both now.

People hark back to a time when the Main Street had More retail outlets rather than services but when exactly was that. I was heading into Dublin in the early 90s to get clothes - Mr Ts had probably shut and Allen's hadn't much choice compared to The Ilac Centre and Grafton St.

Shops have closed. Shops have opened. There's a certain life cycle in all business. The main street doesn't have very many empty premises. Nor does Florence Road and Quinsboro Road doesn't have so many empty units either.

Looking forward to seeing how the Town Centre or Bray Central turns out.

One Dame Lane the jewellery pop up shop is closing down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

I’m not sure what’s going on here, but it’s in the window of one of the street facing units of bray town centre… a sticker on the window says “Gleesons Department Store” (I can’t turn the picture around)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

There was an events team there today and it looked like they were installing a window display... tbh it looks like its just a fake display to brighten up the space and for it not to look like an empty space

The 40 winks hotel seems to just be run by the Palm itself now. An advertisement for it popped up on my Instagram recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

The 'Gleason's department store' apparently is for a film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I noticed that one of the street facing shops (not sure if it was Gleason's) today had Butler's signs all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No,Gleason’s is the opposite side. Really not sure what’s going on there.

I see Butlers have Bray store on their website and opening in Spring. Strange that they have nothing on Bray Central on their website

https://www.butlerschocolates.com/en/bray

Post edited by murpho999 on

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Did box burger reopen ?

They started filming this morning - must have been about 30 crew there. Nice bit of a buzz around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Advertisement