Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What's wrong with the Cliff Path? Is it just blocked off like it was during Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a collapse of the path on the Greystones side that was blocked off for the last couple of years (though passable). More recently there have been rockslides and it's blocked at the Bray end as well (quite comprehensively fenced off from the look of the photos but I still see walkers coming off the Cliff Walk in Greystones so it must be passable).

The council have been trying to negotiate a new route with the land owner on the Greystones side but without success apparently. They don't appear keen on using CPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

More rockfall in addition to the path falling away at one point. Last time I was on it, they had extra gates in. One you could impale yourself on if you climbed over it and slipped. There are plenty of warnings, but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

I hop over the barrier every day.

Disgraceful that the council have decided just to block off one of the greatest amenities in the area rather than take swift action to make the rocks safe and clear the rubble.

It has been blocked since October, the job could be done in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Disgraceful that the council have taken action to protect people from major risk of landslides and subsidence?

Did you see the section that broke away last year? Instant death if you were on that whilst it happened.

What's more a disgrace is you ignoring official advice and hopping over the fence. Putting yourself at risk and then putting rescuers at risk if something happened.

What makes you think the closure doesn't apply to you?

• Advertisement

But that's the issue.. they have not taken any action apart from throwing up some completely ineffective barriers.

Action would be resolving the problem.

Ok. What action would you take to stop a cliff eroding and falling to the sea?

The barriers are telling people that the path is dangerous and closed. Should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

It's being completely ignored. Go down occasionally in the forlorn hope that it might be open again. My wife has mobility issues so we don't climb over the gate. But I couldn't believe my eyes last time. A couple with young kids went over. Passing a buggy over the fence!

The council really needs to get their finger out though. It's a tremendously valuable asset to the people of North wicklow. The walk brings in huge numbers of tourists. With it closed they will go elsewhere.

It's 5 months closed now and no sign of even parts of it reopening. Some regular updates on progress from the council with an estimate of when it might open would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, it's the almost total lack of information about what progress, if any, is being made with the necessary repairs that's the most annoying part of all this.

Has anybody actually seen the damage at the Bray end? How serious is it?

it's a lot more than 5 months at the Greystones end, more like 2 years. I'd imagine they're not going to repair the Bray end until they've sorted out the new route at the Greystones end, but they're taking their sweet time. If it was a road they'd CPO the land and get on with it.

• Advertisement

These comments about the "council must get their finger out" make me laugh.

This is not a question of repairing a broken path or wall. The issue is natural erosion and an entire cliff face breaking away.

There's a very strong chance that the path may never open again.

Fair enough, that's a possibility, but there's almost no information coming out about it, that's the main issue many of us have about it, just endless tweets and FB posts reminding us that it's closed, but no further updates. And let's face it, WCC isn't exactly renowned for their speed in dealing with things like this.

I still don't get what you expect them to do. There's clearly a major problem.

This is from the Bray page.

Cliff Walk

The walk is extremely dangerous and is closed until further notice

I think this a major geological project to examine and determine the issues and will take time and is not a normal council activity.

"I still don't get what you expect them to do. There's clearly a major problem"

I expect updates from them on social media regarding the state of play beyond "It's closed, don't use it.", is that too much to expect?

It is a small enough rockfall, easily removed and rockface made safe.

I have met numerous visitors who have travelled out from Dublin and further only to be met with a shoddy gate and a sign saying CLOSED.

It's not erosion, it's just natural rockfall that can easily be predicted and prevented with regular inspection.#

Bray CC needs to be proactive about protecting one of the most valuable amenity assets in the area, not just shove up a barrier anytime there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

There is erosion closer to the Greystones end where part of the pathway has collapsed!

that's what is causing the main delay in reopening, the path has to be moved inland, which involves buying some land.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Fully agree - it needs to be open ASAP. The town can't lose one of its biggest attractions for an indefinite length of time while the 'long term solution' is being slowly worked on. It needs to reopen before this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

No - I think they should do whatever engineering works they can to secure things on the current path until a longer term solution is in place. e.g. tension nets across the face of the cliff at the rockfall point, and bridge/scaffold the section near Greystones where the landslide happened. I will let the actual engineers figure it out. There will be loads of solutions that are within the law (i.e. not seizing land) but the danger is the Council will take the most risk-averse option available and the cliff walk will be closed for YEARS

• Advertisement

Should we maybe start a separate thread about the Cliff Walk as it was never a business?

Article is behind paywall but confirms that only 2 units remain and lineup includes Penneys,Sports Direct, Butler’s Chocolate Cafe, Holland & Barrett, UMI Falafel, Sally’s Hand Rolled Ice-cream, Press Up's Stella Cinema and Bert's Bowling.

Not sure if that line up had been confirmed elsewhere.

No doubt Penney's is the main jewel in the crown and the rest for me are just ok but that's just for me. Look forward to Butlers and the cinema opening.

Post edited by murpho999 on

I noticed a fit out team in Butlers this morning so thats good news, also one of the small units on the left hand side looks be be in fitout stage too. We're getting there... slowly but surely lol

Penneys, Sports Direct, Stella Cinema and Berts Bowl are due to be open in... Q4 before Christmas... Lol. Lets hope they are no more delays and we can finally start seeing some onsite action!

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklow/news/penneys-and-sports-direct-will-be-open-in-bray-central-in-time-for-christmas-2023-42400784.html

I actually read that as Q3 as it says “by Q4” but maybe I'm being too pedantic.😀

I can’t imagine the shop fit-outs will take that long once started.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My office is out beside The Square Tallaght, I haven't been in the office much this side of Christmas. I noticed yesterday that the WowBurger out there has closed down. If the cinema and bowling alley don't open this year In the town centre I can see the same happening to the WowBurger in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I assume they are hoping the monthly market will bring some business in

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

how is it taking so long to fit out the cinema, they were originally claiming it would open last summer, now it's planned to open over a year later than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Its now nearly April and nothing appears to be happening in and around the cinema or bowling alley. If you don't see any workmen there by lets say May, that cinema won't be open until Christmas. Would be very suprised to see it open by October at this stage even though the article states Q4.

• Advertisement

I think the cinema will only take a couple of months to complete as some work has been done already.

October is 6 months away so I do not see why it cannot happen. Just glad things are definitely happening and the Bray Open Forum kranks on Facebook will calling it a white elephant etc will be stopped.

Advertisement