Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park and Ride

Options
  • 28-11-2011 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the Park and Ride running this Christmas?
    With all the roadworks going on around the city I think people would be more than willing to bus it into the city

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Two articles about it in the Advertiser last week ... and summary details in an easier-to-read format are here: http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.com/2011/11/galway-city-park-and-ride-christmas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

great stuff, only 2e to park all day. we parked up last xmas eve and it was such a reliefe not to be looking for a parking spot in city. we didnt do big shopping just for the last minute bits so we had no heavy bags with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

anyone know if car can be left overnight and collected next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

I wouldn't advise it as there is no overnight security there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Ah, Park n' Ride a sure sign Xmas is around the corner! :)

Actually I must bump up my what-was-it Parkn'Pee or PayasYouPee Thread on paying to use toilet, wherever it got to ..... It could do with some more lively discussion on the matter. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Used it every year, great service indeed.
    Kudos to those who organised it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The P&R service during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover was highly successful I believe.

I'm less familiar with the annual Christmas edition, but I would expect it to work as well.

Great idea. It needs to be a permanent fixture, servicing all sides of the city.

Anything that incentivises/facilitates not driving into the city is a good thing, IMO.

Failure to control rampant illegal parking, for example, just encourages motorists to drive as close as possible to their destination(s). I've seen the footpath outside Mill Street Garda Station clogged with illegal parked cars at the height of Operation Freeflow or whatever it's called.

P&R is an ideal win-win solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Last few riding days before christmas :p The P&R is having a positive effect on the traffic this year I find.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/23333-galway-city-park-ride-service-has-its-best-year-yet
    This year’s Christmas ‘park and ride’ service has had its most successful year since its inception seven years ago – at the weekend more than 4,000 people availed of it to go shopping in Galway City.

The figures should help improve Galway City Council’s longstanding push to establish a permanent facility to take more cars off the road.

Last weekend the service proved particularly popular, with 569 cars using it to ferry 2,256 passengers from Ballybrit Racecourse on Saturday and on Sunday there were 1,784 people hopping on the bus from 424 vehicles.

This represents a 32% and 80% increase on the same days last year respectively.

A survey carried out among passengers found 17% were from outside the county, namely from Mayo, Roscommon and Clare and the average number of people per vehicle was four, forking out just €2 regardless of the number of passengers.

Last year peak use was recorded on December 18 when 417 cars and 1,704 used the service.

There has been a year-on year increase in demand for the service.

The 2010 total for the service was 4,023 cars and 12,638 inbound passengers which marked a 25% increase on 2009.

In 2009 there was an 11% increase recorded on the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Was delighted to see a packed P&R bus heading back towards Ballybrit on Saturday evening - it's kinda worrying when you see them with only three people on 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The P&R service during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover was highly successful I believe.

I'm less familiar with the annual Christmas edition, but I would expect it to work as well.

Great idea. It needs to be a permanent fixture, servicing all sides of the city.

Anything that incentivises/facilitates not driving into the city is a good thing, IMO.

Failure to control rampant illegal parking, for example, just encourages motorists to drive as close as possible to their destination(s). I've seen the footpath outside Mill Street Garda Station clogged with illegal parked cars at the height of Operation Freeflow or whatever it's called.

P&R is an ideal win-win solution.

Bit surprised at myself agreeing with everything you say here! Must be the Christmas spirit :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Market it next year as
    Park & Roide*
    and see the numbers using the service swell.

*copyright snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

snubbleste wrote: »
    Roide[/I]
    ......swell.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Market it next year as
    Park & Roide*

*copyright snubbleste

Loike, we're not in foxrock, roish torquin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Market it next year as
    Park & Roide*

*copyright snubbleste

Too late!

The car park at Silver Strand took that title (unofficially) years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Can we just start an Official Dogging Thread?

Advertisement