Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed term lease about to finish - periodic or part IV?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    In about 5 weeks my 1 year lease will be finished and I do not want to get in a new fixed term lease so as I understand it, I will now have a part IV agreement where I will typically have to give 43 days notice if I want to leave (if I have been there between 12 and 24 months in total say)>

However, I would rather only give a month's notice to be honest, even if this means the landlord can do the same. Is there anyway I can suggest a periodic i.e. month to month lease from now on? Any risks in this I may not have thought of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I'm glad to see that there is at least one intelligent tenant in the country - thinking about the type of lease he needs.

Yes, the part 4 lease gives you a slightly more secure agreement than a Periodic lease in that the landlord only has a few options should he require you to leave. Whereas, as you quite rightly say, 30 days notice (actually, a rent period which is usually a month) by either party and you can/have to be out.

If you want a Part 4 you should advise the landlord between 3 months and 1 month prior to the expiry of the lease, otherwise you could be liable for the landlord's expenses if he has already started to advertize for a new tenant

If you require a Part 4 lease, the landlord cannot refuse - though I don't know if he is obliged to give you a periodic lease.

Advertisement