Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average cost of living in Melbourne

Options
  • 28-11-2011 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for a little guidance, I am wondering how much the average cost of living in Melbourne is for a month, I know it will vary depending on area etc but I dont know where I will be staying also I wont be spending on extras such as drinking etc
    My brother is over there and was hit by a car on sunday so he is in hospital at the moment, I am trying to get over asap but I realise that due to the extent of his injuries I may be over there for up to 3 months and I was just looking for a baseline cost of living per month so I have some idea what i am trying to plan for, any help is gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

careymary wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking for a little guidance, I am wondering how much the average cost of living in Melbourne is for a month, I know it will vary depending on area etc but I dont know where I will be staying also I wont be spending on extras such as drinking etc
    My brother is over there and was hit by a car on sunday so he is in hospital at the moment, I am trying to get over asap but I realise that due to the extent of his injuries I may be over there for up to 3 months and I was just looking for a baseline cost of living per month so I have some idea what i am trying to plan for, any help is gratefully appreciated!

ive only just arrived, a week in now but i took out 300 dollars to cover me for the weekend as i dont have a bank card yet. i went boozing for a few hours on sunday hut not for long but the 300 dollars was gone fairly quick. eating out taxi trains phone credit it goes quick. sorry about your situation but it is expensive out here if your not earning the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

By far your biggest cost will be accommodation so where you say will determine a lot. If someone can put you up you can get by on very little. If you need to sort you own have a look at hostelworld.com and gumtree.com.au to give you an idea of cost of hostels/short term rents.

Food costs are slightly higher than Ireland but not much in it. If you are going back and forth to hospital a lot then get yourself a weekly or monthly metcard ticket as it works out way cheaper than buying individual tickets, think it's about $30/110 for weekly/monthly for zone1. Most of the major hospitals are in zone1 and all are really well connected by public transport.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What hospital is he in? Plus I hope he is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Thanks for the replies, he is in The Alfred hospital, he is still sedated and in ICU, so time will tell, am sending my positive thoughts until I get there! Fingers crossed!

Right so now we now where he is.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?rlz=1C1CHKB_en-GBAU420AU420&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=alfred+hospital&fb=1&gl=au&hq=alfred+hospital&hnear=0x6ad642af0f11fd81:0x5045675218ce7e0,Melbourne+VIC&cid=0,0,1082084875368947536&ei=chHUTsyUB8XxmAWDqd14&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CAkQ_BI

I dont live anywhere near there. However its is pretty much on the border of the Irish district of St Kilda. Lads if anyone knows of decent spots to live around the Alfred on tram lines or train access.

Lets hear the suggestions coming in.

Casey what day are you landing?

• Advertisement

I'm getting in on Tues night, so I have a week to organise, thanks so much for your help, it means so much!

Do you mean Nov 29 or dec 6?

Zambia wrote: »
    Do you mean Nov 29 or dec 6?
    Sorry I meant Dec 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

http://www.hotelclaremont.com/ in south yarra is about 20 mins walk from the Alfred. It's good value, clean and quiet, I'm sure you dont want to be in party hostel so might suit.

http://www.darlingtowers.com.au/ do short term rentals in same area and can be good value if staying a month or two.

I stayed in both of above and often walked over to the Alfred, it's an easy walk.

The 72 tram stops right outside as well and that will get you into the city in about 15 mins. It runs from Melbourne Uni right down Swanston St so staying anywhere on that route would give you easy access as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

LORDS LODGE hostel is right across from the alfred and they do private rooms for 360 a week which isnt bad compared to a week in a hotel. and its not too crazy a hostel most people there have jobs and have been in the hostel for months. http://www.lordslodge.com.au/Room-Rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?rlz=1T4EGLC_en___AU330&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=melbourne+irish+australian+welfare+bureau&fb=1&gl=au&hq=irish+australian+welfare+bureau&hnear=0x6ad642af0f11fd81:0x5045675218ce7e0,Melbourne+VIC&cid=12733109821769311196

The Australian Irish Welfare Bureau might be able to help you out here. The woman who runs it Marian O'Hagan should be able to provide you with any assistance, you should definitly give her a call if your unsure about anythin. Office doesn't open on Wednesdays but every other day should be fine.

Thanks to everyone for their help, I got sorted with somewhere to stay, my brothers boss has apparently organised it for me, which is fantastic, one less thing to worry about!
    My brother is doing well and they are going to be taking him off sedation soon so thats all very positive, its a long road for him but its all going well so far!

Advertisement