Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Santa prezzie for 9 yr old daughter-Laptop

• 28-11-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi
    Have no clue what type of laptop to get her. She is on the internet generally playing moshi monsters, you tube music, bin weevil etc etc . Any tips. can you get laptops with child protection built in ??

help:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Personally, I would say a net book or something small rather than a big laptop 'cause she is so young.

You can get parental controls set up on the computer, depending on where you buy they may do it for you, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

My boyfriend works in I.T if you want I could ask him and see what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

A laptop for a 9 year old? I thought this kind of nonsense had disappeared with the demise of the "Tiger". Far too young to get that sort of present, will she be getting an Iphone 4 from one of her other relatives? When she gets a few years older then getting her own computer, to help with her education & social networking stuff would be an ok idea. Till then she shouldn't be allowed more than an hour or so a day on a shared computer, the rest of her spare time be spent out playing & reading, building her young imagination instead of being tethered to a screen.
    She's not even old enough to be on Facebook at this stage. Scrap the laptop idea & get her some toys & a couple of good books. She'll be grateful to you in later years for helping to make her a more healthy & rounded individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Custardpi wrote: »
    A laptop for a 9 year old? I thought this kind of nonsense had disappeared with the demise of the "Tiger". Far too young to get that sort of present, will she be getting an Iphone 4 from one of her other relatives? When she gets a few years older then getting her own computer, to help with her education & social networking stuff would be an ok idea. Till then she shouldn't be allowed more than an hour or so a day on a shared computer, the rest of her spare time be spent out playing & reading, building her young imagination instead of being tethered to a screen.
    She's not even old enough to be on Facebook at this stage. Scrap the laptop idea & get her some toys & a couple of good books. She'll be grateful to you in later years for helping to make her a more healthy & rounded individual.

Totally agree. Absolutely ridiculous getting a 9 year old a laptop !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Plentyofice

Cusardpi and reeta. Thanks for your feedback. She will be using it for educational purposes as they are using one in school now as well. She is not allowed on the computer at home for more than an hour at a time and that is on weekends. Weekday logons are for homework studies monitored by a parent.
    I really don't want to hear your opinions on whether I should or shouldn't buy her a laptop. That wasn't the question I asked in the forum. If you can't offer any advice on my query then don't voice your opinion. ;)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

A laptop for a 9 year-old??? Is this a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Are you tied to Microsoft Windows? If not I believe there are a few Linux distributions aimed at children/education. You could get one of the small samsung netbooks and install the software on it.

I am on my mobile, but can check later if you'd like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Weekday logons are for homework studies monitored by a parent.

Ahh come on now... What homework is a 9 year old doing that requires time on the internet...??

I too think that this is OTT..

We're obviously Ireland's new poor as we rarely go out don't smoke and couldn't afford to by our 9YO a laptop or netbook, nor would I want to.

Hi
    Have no clue what type of laptop to get her. She is on the internet generally playing moshi monsters, you tube music, bin weevil etc etc . Any tips. can you get laptops with child protection built in ??

help
    Cusardpi and reeta. Thanks for your feedback. She will be using it for educational purposes as they are using one in school now as well. She is not allowed on the computer at home for more than an hour at a time and that is on weekends. Weekday logons are for homework studies monitored by a parent.

So she currently uses the internet to play games but she will be using it for educational purposes. Hmmm! Start as you mean to go on, I say!

If you really NEED to get your daughter a laptop, I suggest you get her a second-hand one and only allow her access to educational sites that will help her with her homework. To be honest, though, I cannot see her NEEDING a laptop just because they will be using one in school.

bbam wrote: »
    Ahh come on now... What homework is a 9 year old doing that requires time on the internet...??

I too think that this is OTT..

We're obviously Ireland's new poor as we rarely go out don't smoke and couldn't afford to by our 9YO a laptop or netbook, nor would I want to.

Well said. If I wanted to contribute to my child's education, I'd buy him or her some books instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Your best bet is to supervise the kid's internet time. They'll eventually figure out how to get around any parental control software.

To everyone else, this isn't the parenting forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys this isn't the Parenting Forum so please kindly back off the OPs parenting skills.
    The OP is asking about a laptop for their 9 year old, if you don't agree, fine - don't reply. Or you can express in a helpful way what might be a better alternative without the undertones. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

You can get a free version of Norton family protection from their website. I installed this recently and it is very effective. You can login from any computer and see what they have been doing. Blocks im, social networking if you wish as well as all the usual.

Then if you can, you can lock safe search on google and theres also a function on you-tube to do the same.

I suggest you get your child a second-hand laptop, have a look at the buy and sell website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Loads of parents over on rollercoaster.ie were buying the easypad junior tablet for their kids, seems pretty good and I think it has a 2 year warranty, prices vary I think from about €140 to €170. Do you think something like that might be a better option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

im geting my 2 sons 13 and 11 a notebook each as i think this would be good to get them started on and then work up to a laptop.

Advertisement