Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company Issue Leak

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I bought an apartment in a complex a number of years ago and got a letter from the management company recently in relation to my balcony.

Basically it states that the balconies were badly constructed and that as a result water is not draining away properly and leaking back into the building.

A surveyors report was attached outlining the issues and a schedule of works to be done. The letter states that as owners we are responsible for the repair work and payment was requested as soon as possible to enable work to begin.

Furthermore , if we did not decide to complete the repair work, we are to be held liable for water damage to the building and were asked to sign a letter to that effect.

Should it be the management company who pays for this work, out of the sinking fund, as I personally was not negligent with respect to the building of the balcony?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My understanding would be that the builder would be liable, or if the development has been fully transfered then it would be down to the management company.

Simply inform the management company that they (the company) are the property owner and are responsible for structural issues.

Yes, ultimately, all unit owners are liable for the costs, through the management fees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

We had a similar leaking issue, first with the balcony above us leaking into our apartment and then with our balcony leaking into the apartment below. It was down to the water not draining away too.

In neither case we were asked to pay for it, only asked if we could let the guys in to fix it. Unless you had made modifications to the balcony which could cause it then you shouldn't have to pay.

Advertisement