Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving letters for person that no longer lives here

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster! I suppose I'm pretty annoyed about this issue!

I've been renting this apartment for a year now, and the previous tennant was a customer of a particular television service. Every month a letter arrives addressed to him asking hime to become a "blah" customer again.
    I usually throw them back in the post with a "no longer at this address" note on the envelope.

About 5-6 weeks ago, I decided to ring "blah" to ask them to stop sending the letters as Mr. John X no longer lives here. They assured me it would stop. Today I got another one and rang back again, now trhey cannot stop the letters as they have no account number for Mr John X. They advised me to open the letter to find an account number which I was very reluctant to do, but all the envelope contained was a generic promotional newsletter with no account number.

I informed them that I would be writing to our Department of Environment regarding the letters, my argument being that if I was a total lout and dumped rubbish illegally Mr John X's name might be sullied... .

So what I'm asking is:
    a) does anyone else have a similar complaint?
    b) has anyone had any success in cancelling these letters?
    c) any other advice! (bar get a life, I do realise that it is only a letter, but thousands of theses must be sent every month to people who don't even open them! :o)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If it's UPC, yes I've had the same problem with them. It's infuriating!

Any other company I've returned post to from previous occupants have got the hint after say 3 returns. UPC are relentless though. I ended up tearing stips out of someone after my second call was ignored, and I'm not the type to tear strips out of anyone. Getting angry seemed to work though and we don't get post for the previous occupant from them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Hi Das Kitty,

Its Sky that I have the problem with at the moment! I didn't know if it would be ok to put the name up! (But there, I've said it now! :D)

I had a similar problem with UPC but they told me that because they had put "The Resident" as the addressee that they did not have to stop sending their letters. Some of these companies are unbelieveable! There seems to be nobody in charge and plenty of them to shirk responsibility to another department.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I once moved into an apartment where UPC started sending letters addressed to 'The Resident' looking for payment of the previous tenant's bill. Not only would they not stop sending them, they wouldn't give me a service until the previous tenant's account had been paid. Bunch of muppets.

Well the way I see it is that those two particular companies (Sky and UPC) will never get my custom! It surprises me as to how inept they can be in dealing with a tiny query! Going to write that letter to the Dept of Environment tonight! :D

PS Das Kitty and MOH, I can't formally thank you for your posts as I am a new user, but thanks a million for your replies, it helps to know that I'm not the only one that is bothered by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster! I suppose I'm pretty annoyed about this issue!

I've been renting this apartment for a year now, and the previous tennant was a customer of a particular television service. Every month a letter arrives addressed to him asking hime to become a "blah" customer again.
    I usually throw them back in the post with a "no longer at this address" note on the envelope.

About 5-6 weeks ago, I decided to ring "blah" to ask them to stop sending the letters as Mr. John X no longer lives here. They assured me it would stop. Today I got another one and rang back again, now trhey cannot stop the letters as they have no account number for Mr John X. They advised me to open the letter to find an account number which I was very reluctant to do, but all the envelope contained was a generic promotional newsletter with no account number.

I informed them that I would be writing to our Department of Environment regarding the letters, my argument being that if I was a total lout and dumped rubbish illegally Mr John X's name might be sullied... .

So what I'm asking is:
    a) does anyone else have a similar complaint?
    b) has anyone had any success in cancelling these letters?
    c) any other advice! (bar get a life, I do realise that it is only a letter, but thousands of theses must be sent every month to people who don't even open them! :o)

How do you know what the letters say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

uriah wrote: »
    How do you know what the letters say?

Certain promotional material from that company says very clearly on the envelope that it contains an invitation to rejoin the company.

Thanks Research Will,

Uriah, on the Sky letters its says on the outside envelope things like "John, we have great deals, come back to enjoy them" or this months one says: "there's so much more to come back and enjoy John" and on the back of the envelope it says something like: exclusive offers to bring sky back into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If the dear Resident letters piss you off, there is usually a freepost envelope inside, fill it with all the crap around the place and send it back to them, that works as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

We get these all the time for about four different previous tenants. I just chuck them in the nearest public bin, unopened. Perhaps I'm very socially reckless, but... I don't care. I'm not paying to dump them, and I'm sure as hell not storing them. Into the bin they go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Burning them comes in handy on these cold nights ;) I've been getting the same post from the same companies for nearly 2 yrs despite having the post straight back to them on countless occasions.

So SKY\UPC\random banks & institutions, keep sending me lots of paper for the fire this winter :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement