Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Park in Limerick will host a Rugby League World Cup group match in 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

tippman1 wrote: »
    Good news for Limerick this morning:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/1128/rugbyleague.html

Another €10,000,000 for the city?

I said it over in the rugby league forum, it's great news for rugby league in Ireland, by raising the profile of the sport here.

It's good news for Thomond Park, because it will help further it's good name internationally.

It's okay news for Limerick, given that the attendance at the Ireland v France game held there recently only drew approximately 3000. I know it is a world cup game but we will need 2 teams with large home followings for it to bring any sort of money to the city. I reckon it will bring in less money to the city than a pro 12 game does.
    It would have been good news if they had secured a number of matches, but only one match won't be great for us, as fans following their teams over will base themselves in the UK and hop on a quick flight over for the day/weekend.

I'd estimate a very optimistic 16-18,000 in attendance, the majority of whom will travel just for the day of the match. If they get an Irish match that they're looking for it'll bring in very little by way of hotel rooms, restaurant bookings etc, as the Irish attending the match will head home afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'm suprised Thomond Park got it to be honest. If lets say for arguements sake its a match between New Zealand and Australia, I'm surprised they would have fans, most of whom will be based in the UK, being dragged over to Ireland for one game at even more of a cost than they had already expected.

If it's an Ireland game we will have to hope Ireland do well like they did the last time and there is some bit of buzz around it or there won't be many at it.

Pricing will also have to be very very reasonable to get a good crowd. 20euro maximum and 10euro for the cheapest might help get a crowd.

I would expect a maximum of 8,000 at this depending on teams, day/time and price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

from what I can see, we have England, Fiji and Australia in our pool. The match v England will hardly be moved from England (though it'd be great if it was) so hopefully it'll be the match v Australia. Genuinely think either of those games would get good crowds, can't see that many going to the Fiji game but you never know how it'll be marketed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good news, surely worth €10m to the city. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

bazz26 wrote: »
    Good news, surely worth €10m to the city. :)

Only if it sells out I think.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/578.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement