Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Longboat

Options
  • 28-11-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

The Viking Longboat that is being built in Waterford will be featured in 'The Only Viking in the Village' on RTÉ One on Tuesday November 29th at 10:15pm and Tuesday December 6th at 10:40pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes I saw that advertised, must remember to watch it. The longboat 'has been' built though rather than a work in progress :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

looksee wrote: »
    Yes I saw that advertised, must remember to watch it. The longboat 'has been' built though rather than a work in progress :D

Should be a good watch, any idea what they are actually going to do with the boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

it's going to go into the new museum i think

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

south wrote: »
    it's going to go into the new museum i think
    are they going to sail it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Heard Neil Delemere on Beat FM last week talking about this. The show sounds interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

dunphy3 wrote: »
    are they going to sail it down.
    yousing it to bring sata to waterford???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It was put on the river over the last couple of days, it will be bringing santa to Waterford on Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Was this built in the kilcohan industrial estate ? I saw it coming out on the back of a truck last week! Totally didn't expect to see that on the road, it looked lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Did I hear the long boat is brining Santa Claus up the river on Friday Afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

thomasm wrote: »
    Did I hear the long boat is brining Santa Claus up the river on Friday Afternoon

Yeah, arriving at 3pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I think it's eventual destination is behind Reginalds tower near the Guinness building they are knocking at the moment, it is going on permanent display there, in a small laneway that is going to be constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I think it's eventual destination is behind Reginalds tower near the Guinness building they are knocking at the moment,

Reginalds tower near the Guinness Building?? These two places are at opposite ends of the quay. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

iseegirls wrote: »
    Reginalds tower near the Guinness Building?? These two places are at opposite ends of the quay. :confused:

It is supposed to go in place of This Building next to Reginalds Tower. They are in the process of demolishing this building at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Always thought that building looked awful next to Reginald's Tower. Good to see it being removed now. Should be nice when they do that area up. Anyone got a link to plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

iseegirls wrote: »

It's an age thing Guinness's were the original owners of that building in the seventies.!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

fricatus wrote: »
    Always thought that building looked awful next to Reginald's Tower. Good to see it being removed now. Should be nice when they do that area up. Anyone got a link to plans?

Not specifically that area, but have a look at:
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/Part8-06-12.doc

I can't find it now, but if you Google or search within this forum for a pdf for the Viking Triangle which shows what they have planned for that area. I posted the link in another thread a while back so it should show up in Boards search results.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

He is on his way :D photo thanks to Hifive.

530908_2624089779137_303929704_n1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackfrostwins

What is wrong with this picture?1 You can see Ferrybank(Killkenny).2The Long boat is in fact a short boat.3 Santa nor the crew are not wearing lifejackets-Rubber rings4The oars are not in sync5That strange building from Full metal jacket(Battle for Heu) is in the background.6The mast is crooked7 This may be staged.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

She is 40 foot long and was built by a FAS team using authentic archived plans, they even went as far as making their own nails for the build. The guy at the tiller is wearing a life jacket but it's hard to tell if the crew are, as for SANTA he doesn't need one :D

001-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

What is wrong with this picture?1 You can see Ferrybank(Killkenny).2The Long boat is in fact a short boat.3 Santa nor the crew are not wearing lifejackets-Rubber rings4The oars are not in sync5That strange building from Full metal jacket(Battle for Heu) is in the background.6The mast is crooked7 This may be staged.

Actually they may all be wearing the inflatable type of lifejacket under their clothes, its hard to tell.

The mast is deliberately raked - this gives a better sailing performance and takes pressure from the steering oar under sail.

As for the length of the longship it is true that it is not very long but they weren't all 75 ft long. The Waterford one is likely to have been built to fit into the space available for display.

Calling it a longboat by the way is incorrect. Longboats are vessels carried aboard sailing ships to act as a tender or small cargo transporter. Longships are Viking craft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

From what I heard on the radio, the Vikings used to travel across oceans in the much larger longboats and once an area to set up their camp was found they would come ashore and dismantle the longship. Using the wood from this, they would construct smaller versions (like the one built by the FAS team) and explore the rivers and estuaries further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

The crew were wearing navy inflatables.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackfrostwins

Had a few pints in Jordans last night then I climbed into the boat. She's a smooth looking ride,now if you could only fit an outboard onto it you'd be sucking diesel. Seriously though there is probably a business in producing them to sell plus it would be a great tourist draw to see it being done. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Anyone dare to guess how long it will remain untouched by vandalisim in the run up to christmas with all the prtys and mayhem that will ensue?

I think it is a bad idea leaving it outside reginalds tower unguarded at nightime, thats just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Well let's see how it goes. Wouldn't it be a great if it still looked the same this time next year?

It's a fairly open space there so you'd need to be a fairly brazen grafittier (that's not a word is it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Bards wrote: »
    Anyone dare to guess how long it will remain untouched by vandalisim in the run up to christmas with all the prtys and mayhem that will ensue?

I think it is a bad idea leaving it outside reginalds tower unguarded at nightime, thats just my 2c

Hate to be a bearer of bad news, but the boat got damaged last night:mad:

What a shame is it bad. If you had an idea that it would get damaged over the Christmas where it was moored I'm sure the owners or local authorities must have shared the same idea and just decided to leave it there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

how much damage was done ? easily fixable?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

i was one of the vikings on the day, helped santa, who was actually one of the irish navy lads.. all the crew on board the ship were navy and none of the lads who built the boat through the fas course were allowed in the water with her because of insurance reasons.. We greeted santa when he got off the ship..

The navy of course had thin flotation gear, it looked like a climbing harness but went over the head..
    When santa got to the grotto under the medieval museum the place was closed down for a while, few photographers were let in and once they were finished the real santa took his place and the grotto opened.

The ship was christened Vedrarfjord after the old citys name.
    It was built by the good lads in Fado
    The used traditional methods to cut, shape and join the wood. they forged the nails and put it all together to spec.

Its beautiful.

• Advertisement

Thats a shame none of the guy's that built the boat got a chance to go on her, I build boats and insure them when I take them out on the water for not a lot of money and I don't need a navy guy on board as I'm sure I know more about the boat than they do. If the guys that built the boat were left in charge of her I'm sure she would not have been left in a position where she could be vandalised as they would have pride in their work and want to look after her. Have any of the navy guys or santa been down to check on her ?

Advertisement