Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Letterkenny

• 28-11-2011 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am looking to get broadband into the house... However i don't want to have to get a phone line into the house. What options do i have?

I don't want mobile broadband, as i currently have it, and i feel its no good.

What about fibre optic broadband, what is it like, speed wise?

Can you suggest any providers?

In letterkenny (Mountain top)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Bedhead123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to get broadband into the house... However i don't want to have to get a phone line into the house. What options do i have?

I don't want mobile broadband, as i currently have it, and i feel its no good.

What about fibre optic broadband, what is it like, speed wise?

Can you suggest any providers?

In letterkenny (Mountain top)

Thanks

Your best bet is probably :NorthWest Electronics http://www.nwewn.com/

You have less than zero chance of getting Fibre optic broadband anywhere outside of the urban centres...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

A friend of mine is with NWE and even though it took them 4 weeks to install (the engineer who came out said they are flat out, not surprised when you look at the cost and quality of product, only €25pm for 10/2) he is delighted with it.

He also said don't go through the website, call them.

On a side note how can they provide such high download/upload speeds for such a low cost (they can supply 50/10 for less than what I am currently paying for 2/1)? Is it because they are getting their main connection from the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Just saw the eircom team and KN Networks lying down the fibre from the exchange to the mountain top cabinet, i went over and ask them wat they were doing and they confirmed this. But to when we can expect fibre broadband, who knows. The letterkenny council spent millions 4-5 years ago putting down fibre to link to the MAN but it isnt connect and is all dark. Hopefully with this fibre eircom are lying we can have fibre broadband by summer 2012. Also i have the digiweb metro, superb internet but download cap is really bad. and NWE has a six week waiting list so up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

GIMickey wrote: »
    Just saw the eircom team and KN Networks lying down the fibre from the exchange to the mountain top cabinet, i went over and ask them wat they were doing and they confirmed this. But to when we can expect fibre broadband, who knows. The letterkenny council spent millions 4-5 years ago putting down fibre to link to the MAN but it isnt connect and is all dark. Hopefully with this fibre eircom are lying we can have fibre broadband by summer 2012. Also i have the digiweb metro, superb internet but download cap is really bad. and NWE has a six week waiting list so up to you.

That's good news, it's about time letterkenny got some fibre broadband but it will prob only be available to a select few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Yea well so far i saw the lay fibre up the hospital road as far as mountain top. then yesterday i saw them go down the oatfield road and over to the IT. so more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ruskey

Does anyone know how far out of the town they are going with the fibre? If this is as good as it sounds it would be a shame to miss out on it

Advertisement