Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Print biz advice, t-shirts, mugs etc

Options
  • 28-11-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there, I am looking for advice into starting up a print business for tshirts, mugs ets.. in the north west. I have no experience so would like advice from experienced operators about the pitfalls, hidden costs and problems associated with this type of business or is it as simple as buying a package from someone like love cut and away you go.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

firstly ...create a business plan, research if there is a market for it in the area ....choose a place - for this kind of business I'd suggest you'll need plenty of footfall so in a shopping centre or near one should be best.

after that negotiate rent and find out what your overheads are - estimate ESB, Water, Rubbish collection .... stock, staff (if any), learn how to use your product and what it does - learn about various file types with photography and printing.

if you are still up for it and prepared to work hard ...Buy your equipment, rent your premises, advertise your business and hope customers come in.

Ensure you can survive for at least 12months - overheads (its usually recommended for 6months but if you have enough aside to cover the first year you should be capable of soaking up a loss)

Advertising is the key to most retail businesses - how will people know you exist unless you tell them .... how will they know you can do the job unless you tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I wouldnt be jumping into a retail just yet.

Golden rule is to try keep costs down as long as possible. Do you need a premises. can you work from home. Will you be selling to public - if yes then retail premises is needed.

However I'd imagine that a large amount of the business would be selling to businesses who use the tshirts and mugs for marketing. Therefore a retail unit is not used and your business may be web based.

I'd agree with PCphoto's advice of business plan and market research. find a way of being different that the rest of the providers out there. Be better than them or cheaper.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Stay clear of that game unless you have very little competition in a high footfall area. Remember that you are competing now with the likes of vistaprint and other web based solutions on a massive scale.

You are basing your business on the assumption that companies are spending money on marketing and branding. I'm sure you will get plenty orders, but will you get paid!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

You are basing your business on the assumption that companies are spending money on marketing and branding. I'm sure you will get plenty orders, but will you get paid!!??

I do think businesses are spending money on these things especially now that sales are not walking in the door.

I wouldnt worry about credit - simply don't give it. Most credit lines have dried up and most people don't expect credit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

I do think businesses are spending money on these things especially now that sales are not walking in the door.

I wouldnt worry about credit - simply don't give it. Most credit lines have dried up and most people don't expect credit.

i would think this is a good business to go into as marketing is needed now more than ever due to lack of sales, it is important to be competitive though and not expect to make a profit straight away

• Advertisement
Advertisement