Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To ACA or not to ACA, that is the question

Options
  • 28-11-2011 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

So I'm faced with a dilemma at the moment (albeit, a good one!)

I have 2 job offers for technology consulting roles, both in big 4 firms. One is offering approx 30k without the aca exams, the other is offering 22.5k with the aca exams.

Do I accept the lower wage for the next 3 and a half years, along with evening and weekend lectures to become a qualified chartered accountant, even though I have no intention of going into practice

or

Do I go for the 30k job, that would entail your basic 40hour week without the possibility of becoming a chartered accountant? There is the chance to do CIMA exams in this position but does that hold the same value on your CV in the long run as an ACA qualification would???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Wouldnt bother with it tbh, not worth the hassle, just do acca at your own pace if you really want the accounting qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

If you don't want to be an accountant, don't do them. Forget about 'value' on your cv and think about what vocation you want for the rest of your life. Having ACA may not have any value on your cv if you hate accounting! Congrats on the offers by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

From what I have heard, ACA is soul destroying if you aren't into it. People I know are literally counting the days til it's over.

Also, if you fail, many companies will get rid of you straight away. I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To be honest OP, if you don't want to go down the accounting road best not to do the exams unless you really want to to progress in your career and just for the sake of having on your CV to enhance career prospects but to be honest work experience is a lot more important at the moment than just professional certs.

It be great to have on paper but work experience wins out in the end of the day and after college that is what you be aiming for. Congrats on your offers. Go with the one where you get more work experience in that will benefit your career. You can do the ACCA exams on the side in your own time if you can take up a job without having to do the exams for a while unless its a major requirement in a role you would need to do the exams based on that if its part of the job requirement that you do it as part of your job.

If you don't want to go down the Accounting route then best to go with the option of doing the CIMA best off all round based on what your interests, career aspirations and career path you want to follow and what you are good at too. Go with the job offer that is more suited to you.

You have answered your question really, you have no intention to go into accounting practice so best off to leave it at that and maybe do so at a later date if you feel you might like to go down that road. Keep as many options open, its great that you got two job offers but I would say don't bother with the accounting exams if you feel you don't want to go down that path. Its not worth the hassle unless you really really want to do the exams/become a chartered accountant.

The technology sector is the place to be and getting the opportunity to get an offer as an IT Consultant be great. Best of luck with it, good luck with your decision and all the best with your career!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 twitbookedin

Thanks for all your input guys. The main reason I am considering the job with the ACA's is that it appears to me that the majority of CEO's have this qualification and it seems to be a prerequisite for most positions on the high end of the organisational structure in most companies. I came across a figure from the Chartered Institute that states that 67% of CEO's of the top FTSE 100 are ACA qualified...is this all hyperbole on the Institute's behalf or do you think there is actually merit in this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement