Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How soon to replace guinea pig

• 28-11-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

One of my guineas died this morning no idea why its only a baby really, they very spoilt and were running around making as much noise as ever last night, i got up this morning and it was gone :(:(

I was wondering about getting another but have no real idea of how soon to do this and if theres a correct way to do it. The guinea left is only about 8mnths old and already seems distressed and missing her mate. :(

Any suggestions please as i hate to see her upset and my poor pup is whining with her in distress.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sorry to hear about your guinea pig, did you get her from a pet shop?

I would first make sure that the remaining guinea pig is ok health wise then you should introduce another female or neutered male (I take it your remaining piggy is a female) you need to keep an eye on them to make sure they are getting along but generally they will be greatful of the company. Ensure you get the guinea pig from a reliable source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Thanks for your reply Sigma, No we took them off someone who'd got them from a petshop when they were babies and were going to let them free because they were too noisy:eek::mad: They've been so much fun and we've loved the noises lol

I've checked Hazel over this morning and she seems to be fine, eating and drinking well just a bit upset. Where would i get another one from if not a petshop? Would i be looking for another young one?

The fact they came from a pet shop origionally could mean that the little pig had some underlying health issues or was too inbred etc. so don't blame yourself but do keep an eye on your other little one and if not already there's no harm in having an experienced guinea vet just give her a health check just in casey.

You could try the irish rabbit club ie they might know of a responsible guinea pig breeder. Also try contacting some rescues in your area some animal rescues will take in guineas as well.

Thanks Sigma, i've been in touch with a couple of rescues and they don't have anything at the moment but i'll give it until thursday to see as i'd really rather rescue. I also contacted a breeder and she has a couple of litters if i can't find one through a rescue.

My girl was checked at the vets and he said not the best specimen he ever seen due to fact has probably had a lot of inbreeding but generally in good health, nice weight and shiny coat. So hopefully doing right by her.

In a way it's good that no rescues have guinea pigs at the moment might mean that people are finally starting to look after their piggies a bit better, don't feel bad if you have to go to a responsible breeder at least you will have a healthy pig to keep your little girl company. Post some pigtures if you can, never enough guinea pig pigtures on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Please post pic's, I miss having piggies:(

They are so smart, they answer when you talk to them, and you learn their language, we had one that loved dandelions and would go nuts and nearly burst your eardrums if he saw you with them.
    He also loved a bath and chirped all the time in the basin when being washed.

I'll upload some tomorrow and your right you get used to the noises, even my 18yr old son said he missed the noise. When my mom stays with her dog we put the piggies upstairs in his room for safety and they 'll be chirping away he'll tell them "Be quiet i'm going to bed" put a treat in and they are silent for the night. My little dog sits and whines at them and they come and rub noses with her so brave and funny.

I'm just hoping a new one will settle and be ok.

Advertisement