Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Living in the Past

• 28-11-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

Right, so I love movies and books set in the wilderness, mountains, etc, so I figured I would love to go and live in the mountains in Canada for a couple of weeks, not sure exactly how one would go about this, but it seems interesting as bejaysus to me! I went to a Bon Iver show and the support act that night spoke about going up to Canada and being airlifted into some remote part where the polar bears cross the river before the ice melts in between winter and spring,

Just wondering if anyone has such experience or has had similar thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I take it you haven't seen Into the Wild?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

Haha, I love Into the Wild, ah I am not talking about a Kamakazee mission, I am talking living in a cabin for a couple of weeks with maybe a town 10 / 20 miles away, ya know? I just wanna go up there and take photos, draw, play music and relax! Dunno, I've never heard of anyone doing it, but I love the idea of this, I have read Jack London's books, and seen Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford and love Bear Grylls and Grizzly Adams and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You mean something like this?

Ah perfect!! I absolutely love it, ya tagging along, wonderfulname? haha be some craic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

bobbaggio wrote: »
    Right, so I love movies and books set in the wilderness, mountains, etc, so I figured I would love to go and live in the mountains in Canada for a couple of weeks, not sure exactly how one would go about this, but it seems interesting as bejaysus to me! I went to a Bon Iver show and the support act that night spoke about going up to Canada and being airlifted into some remote part where the polar bears cross the river before the ice melts in between winter and spring,

Just wondering if anyone has such experience or has had similar thoughts?
    I had the opportunity to do something similar in Canada donkeys' years ago.
    I didn't do it and regret it, to this day.
    Life is short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Vigilant Citizen

Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NizB0v6tjMk

This kind of thing really appeals to me too. Like what the op says, that would be my idea of heaven. Imagine just heading up to somewhere like that for a week or two, miles from civilization, no phone or internet or anybody to bother you.

Pity Ireland is so small, I doubt theres anywhere like this here, or maybe Im wrong?

I just watched the first few minutes of this, I'll sit down and watch it properly later but this looks perfect! Yeah i wonder is there anywhere on the Aran islands? I am going to Canada to visit my friends during the summer, I might feck off for a few days and try something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Vigilant Citizen

The arran islands would be too small id say. Maybe somewhere like the wicklow mountains or somewhere like that

Advertisement