Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with bed in rented apartment

Options
  • 28-11-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have been having problems with my back lately which I think may be due to the bed in the apartment I rent. I wake up with a stiff/sore back most mornings and lately I have been having problems with my hip. Have been to doctor etc about it.

The bed is not in dreadful condition or anything, just not very supportive and sags very slightly in the middle (its also tiny, 4ft, it wasn't in the room when we went to view the place and I only realised how small it was after I moved in)

I asked my landlady if it would be possible for me to buy my own bed (ie have her remove the bed that is there) but she said I could only do that if I stored the existing bed in our hall. That's definitely not an option as it wouldn't fit (and would look ridiculous!)

Any thoughts? I doubt she is under any obligation to remove it, and I can understand why it is a pain for her, as if I leave I will take my bed with me, so its not like she can just get rid of the existing bed. Still, i'm worried about my back and don't want to keep sleeping on what is there.
    If my back gets any worse I will probably have to find somehwere to live where I can bring a bed of my own... which isn't ideal as I really like the apartment and get on well with my housemate.

Has anyone been in this situation? Have I a leg to stand on if I try and pressure the landlady?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Sounds like she is being unreasonable. Are you willing to leave the new bed behind when you move out? Would she comprise and pay half of the cost of the bed on the basis that you will leave the new one behind when you move out. Then the old bed could be brought to recycling centre.

Advertisement