Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM's brands, MHz and DDRs

• 28-11-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi.

Just a quick question - does it matter if ram sticks are different brands and maybe different MHz? Would I still benefit from them?

I bought new rig and I have 4g DDR3, but I was thinking either getting my old ram, which is also DDR3 but different brand, or getting my roommates ram stick.

If i install my old ram I will have 8g DDR3. If I go with my roommates ram stick, which is 4g (1x stick), plus my new 4g (2x stick) I will also have one more slot for my old ram, so I can have 10g ram. Overkill?

My system

Mother - Asus P8Z68-v
    GFX - GTX560 Ti 1g GDDR5
    PSU - 600 w OCZ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Brands usually mix fine.

The most important thing to remember is that the RAM will run at the clock speed of the slowest stick.

You can do a search to see what is the max amount of ram per slot and in total.

10GB is total overkilll for most people. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dreadful

does clock speed affect performance much when i have 8g ddr3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dreadful wrote: »
    does clock speed affect performance much when i have 8g ddr3?
    That and CAS Latency timings.

Oh you're going to have so much fun :D

You might what to check your motherboard's manufacturer website for the list of supported memory types - speeds, timings etc. that are known good configurations.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dreadful

Alright, will do. Thank you very much guys =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Personally I'd rather have 4G in a dual channel config than 10 not. I very rarely reach the point that I would benefit from having more than 4G, but I'm always using the benefit of dual channel config (which is worth like ~5% iirc).

• Advertisement
Advertisement