Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Applied Computing??

• 28-11-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about this course?

Its a conversion course for people who dont have a computer background but want to get into the area.

I would like to become a programmer/software developer. Is this the right first step?

Thanks/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi Cordo,

There was a thread on this course previously so check it out here on UCC boards.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055932072

There are a couple of other threads on this course too. I did the course and answered the questions in the threads as best I could.

If you wish to ask me any further questions on the course don't hesitate to ask.

I will add a few links here of the other threads on the course:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71250072

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72790022

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66795230

Hope the threads be of some use and give you an idea of the course and be some bit informative about your query otherwise just ask away if you have any questions.

Doovdela

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Thanks guys. I had a look through the threads there and got some good info. I am currently working in finance but do a bit of mysql and stuff. Not mad about the finance part but enjoy problem solving, making things work better and more efficient, and interested in doing something where I can see tangible results. Thats how I've ended up interested in Computer Science.

Does that sound to you like I am on the right track?
    I assume to get to a high standard, I would need to do the HDip followed by a Masters in Computer Science. The Hdip alone could hardly compete with Graduates with a degree in Comp Science.

You'll fly through computer applications. There be a bit of cloud computing which include excel spreadsheets. The emphasis might have changed since I did the course as I was in the first year of it. What's covered in the module I say won't have changed much.

There is a database module too so say you do fine in the SQL coding part but you don't use access you be using a different programme to create your code but you will be learning about SQL Server the Web Technologies modules. It be very much a hands on programming as you be typing in the the exact code of the table and so on. No drop down menus unless you are using the MYSQL server feature!

There won't be any major finance side to the course though other than using logical thinking when it comes to systems organisation - circuit/logic design.

Ah good move. Good idea to blend IT and Finance like that. Even if you went down the BIS or consultancy route.

Though it could be a little harder to get stuck into an IT role specifically but you be very prominent for financial/IT consultancy roles in IT companies.

If you feel like Computer Science is the way to go for you I suggest to do the Hdip in applied computing technology otherwise there are other avenues you go down if you want keep more in line with finance but if you want to get out of it or change to a different angle ACT would be a good move. Give you an insight into various CS modules and give you a taster in multimedia and programming. You'll fly database I bet. Its quiet straight forward when you have it done before in your degree.

Ya that be about right, do the hdip first and if you feel CS is for you contintue on to the CS Masters. There are a few other masters you could look into if you still be interested after doing the Hdip you might think differently depends what you really want to do career wise. BIS, innovation for business performance, e-commerce, there is one with management accounting and information systems one not sure of the title, there is the CS masters and the software and mobile networking one can't remember the title but there are a few options open to you any ways. If you didn't want to do the CS Masters, I would recommend BIS or the Accounting information systems one as that has a work-placement module in it.

Going on track with CS definitely do the CS masters! There is a high standard to meet in the Java (object orientated software development) though. Its an optional subject but most students take it up quiet popular. The other option subject didn't go ahead as so many chose java and we all ended up having to do it. Both the Java and the other optional subject (IT management and vb.net combo) Java is 10 credits and IT management 5 credits and vb.net 5 credits all together made up into 10 credits.

Java wasn't my first choice I picked the other option but in a away I am glad I got to learn the java despite it being hard. You have to have the Java done in order to continue onto the CS Masters though and achieve 2nd class honours in the Java its either minimum 50% or 60% plus you need to get in your java in order to be eligible for the CS Masters.

If you have difficulty with the java I suggest get grinds!! Practice practice and its just a matter of sitting down and writing the code yourself to understand the flow of the code!

You'll do grand I say if you are into problem solving and good at it and enjoy it I say you will do very well with that part of course!

Best of luck with it OP

Advertisement