Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a Kindle suitable for children?

• 28-11-2011 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

My daughter is 9 years old and really wants a kindle for Christmas.
    Ive had a look and there are a number of different types I'm not sure which 1 to purchase if any!! I'm not quiet sure will it keep her entertained yes she loves to read books but also loves playing games listening to music and watching movies. Is there anything out there that has all of these?I have been looking at the kindle Fire but it can only be purchased in the US!
    Please help:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I wouldnt get a Kindle Fire, they've been getting terrible reviews, and are said to be riddled with problems.

Personally, I'd go for the Kindle Keyboard. Its the cheapest, and has the best battery life. They're also quite sturdy.

You cant play games or anything like that on them, but if she reads a lot, she'll definitely get value out of it. There are hundreds of free books in the Kindle marketplace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's great if she knows how to get free books. You'd just have to be aware that your credit card would be associated with it and she could pretty much go online from the device and download 500 expensive books. You'd really have to trust her! I don't get asked for a password or anything, but I'm sure if you turned off One Click Buying she may have to put in a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lolabear

you could get her an ipod touch,
    she can play games listen to music and read books on that. and its not a phone so you dont have to worry about her getting expensive bills!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

An iPod Touch, although it has a lovely, screen is not suitable for reading books. The screen is too small, and too bright compared to a Kindle. iPad if anything, but they're very expensive.

As far as I know, the Kindle has an MP3 player which is handy. A Kindle Fire would add movie playback, but as a previous poster said, theyre not getting good reviews.

If a Kindle is what she wants, probably best to go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

An iPod Touch, although it has a lovely, screen is not suitable for reading books. The screen is too small, and too bright compared to a Kindle. iPad if anything, but they're very expensive.

As far as I know, the Kindle has an MP3 player which is handy. A Kindle Fire would add movie playback, but as a previous poster said, theyre not getting good reviews.

If a Kindle is what she wants, probably best to go with that.

I second that. Nothing with a backlight is really any good for reading on. If books are the main concern, something with an e-ink display will always win out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

dory wrote: »
    It's great if she knows how to get free books. You'd just have to be aware that your credit card would be associated with it and she could pretty much go online from the device and download 500 expensive books. You'd really have to trust her! I don't get asked for a password or anything, but I'm sure if you turned off One Click Buying she may have to put in a password.

Amazon sell gift vouchers online. Presumably these work with the Kindle store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cazatrel

Thanks everyone for the posts!
    I've looked in to the i pod touch but feel its too small a screen for reading.
    An i pad is far too expensive unfortunately:eek: but i came across a few alternatives could you please let me know what yee think....:D

http://www.epad.ie/about.html
    http://www.electrodirect.ie/computers/229-superpad-10-internet-tablet-10-wifi-usb-sd-android.html
    http://www.powercity.ie/?action=laptopbacker&pcode=501594

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kindle screens can break easily :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Indeed, I wouldn't have believed it but we put a new kindle display out and within hours it was cracked, probably from when some moron tried to squeeze the screen thinking it was touch responsive.

Doesn't make it a bad gift idea but make sure either you spend time with her for the first few hours using the device, or buy some kind of protection plan for it, which on things like kindles usually run about 15-20% the cost of the unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

also worth noting that the new kindle 4 has no headphone jack or speakers (the kindle keyboard and kindle touch definitely do though) so if you plan on her using it for music or audio books, that one won't be any good.

if your kindle display does break (and you didn't smash it on purpose) amazon will send you a quibble free replacement out the day you report it and give you 30 days to return the broken one. you can't say fairer than that imho.

also, any bugs/issues with the kindle fire will have been worked out well before it makes it to europe and even if they aren't, someone already has CM7 booting on it (in a limited fashion) so the first custom firmwares are probably only a few weeks away. :)

i hope so anyway, cos mine is about halfway over the atlantic at the moment. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement