Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Survival Knife [Read Mod post #175]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

You'll find the carbon mora much easier to sharpen. What are you using to sharpen it btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Hibrion wrote: »
    You'll find the carbon mora much easier to sharpen. What are you using to sharpen it btw?
    I was given a naniwa diamond water sharping stone years ago and still use it I have to look at a smaller one to bring with me when out and about as this is too big

Try a falkniven DC4 for a field stone. I find it great.

Try a falkniven DC4 for a field stone. I find it great.
    Cheers ill have a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭coolbreeze01

hi all have being watching this thread closely, think its a great project.

the best way i can think of to get both into one knife is to have like an sds system so you have changeable blades to go into one handle, but i guess thats like two knives as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Ok here is my first effort:o I am no artist so I apologize in advance.

Description: Full tang main blade, small blade hiding in main handle (no handle on small blade), pommel on hinge.

knifep.jpg

Second effort:

Description: As "Knife 1" but small blade handle is incorporated and forms part of the main handle. Held in place by pommel.

knife2.jpg

3rd Effort:

Description: As "Knife 2" but small blade extends into recess of main blade.

knife3.jpg

Its a tough ask to design, what do we compromise on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thinking a one piece of steel with a simple blade shape on one end and on the other a scraper type/axe blade grind on the other. Mid point is the grip for holding it.Drill a few holes in it at strategic places so it can be lashed into a split stick,broom handle,shovel handle,etc and you have a workable hatchet/tomahawk. On the knife end maybe a gut hook style grove to cut rope,belts,gut,makeshift fish spear?
    Its the only way at the moment that I see how you could build a one piece utility knife without compromising its one piece strenghth integrity.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thinking a one piece of steel with a simple blade shape on one end and on the other a scraper type/axe blade grind on the other. Mid point is the grip for holding it.Drill a few holes in it at strategic places so it can be lashed into a split stick,broom handle,shovel handle,etc and you have a workable hatchet/tomahawk. On the knife end maybe a gut hook style grove to cut rope,belts,gut,makeshift fish spear?
    Its the only way at the moment that I see how you could build a one piece utility knife without compromising its one piece strenghth integrity.

Fantastic concept and really thinking out side the box. It could be a challenge to handle safely but with a few tweaks you could be onto something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

something like that exists i've seen it

cant find it tho

Tigger wrote: »

cant find it tho
    Yeah Ive seen it too it was some sort of throwing axe if I remember right

I was thinking of something like this http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/TO101/tops-knives-tom-brown-tracker-fixed
    but with the handle flat at the back to be used as a hammer with a skinning blade in the handle like Krissovo said. Make the back of the main blade a saw so it will be an 1) An Axe 2) A Saw 3) A Carving Blade 4) A Skinning Blade And a groove in the top of the blade for a fire steel that may also be intergrated into the handle or on the sheath if need be

Tigger wrote: »

cant find it tho

I think these are what I was thinking about Tigger
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/ON9428G/ontario-ranger-series-xtreme-rescue-18-inch
    OR
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CN4012TRT/condor-tool-

grapeape wrote: »

i've seen two knives tht fit together at 90' to hammer and chop i'm frustrated that i cant find an image

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Some good ideas getting through there lads, keep em coming

I have to say, for me this is moving away from something I'd be comfortable with as my one and only survival knife.
    That being said I'm happy to give my input and guide discussion for the benefit of those that want a combo style thing like this.

Might I sugest that, instead of having a hinged pommel you could go for one which is threaded in place and permanently attached to the smaller knife. It might be more secure if people want something for hammering and bashing.

Here's an idea that was leppin around in my poor head, it's a kind of russian doll idea

concept.gif

I have to say, for me this is moving away from something I'd be comfortable with as my one and only survival knife.
    That being said I'm happy to give my input and guide discussion for the benefit of those that want a combo style thing like this.

Might I sugest that, instead of having a hinged pommel you could go for one which is threaded in place and permanently attached to the smaller knife. It might be more secure if people want something for hammering and bashing.

i agree
    to me the if i had to pick a knife concept is fading

but

this is a process

davymoore wrote: »
    Here's an idea that was leppin around in my poor head, it's a kind of russian doll idea

concept.gif

this exists
    you can see it here

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/survival-equipment-and-knives/gator-combo-axe-knife

I would be a bit worried about trusting my survival on a hollow axe TBH.

What ways are there to strengthen it?

• Advertisement

i think that when you poll it it will be gone :)

Yeah Tigger I suppose you are right. My apologies. It was about "A" knife and we are probably getting way off track.

It was just with a few guys saying that you would ultimately need two knives, one large, one small to tackle all tasks for survival. I thought then about building a combo tool to do all duties.

So .... back on track...... If you had to pick just one knife,

How big/small would it have to be ? What blade shape? Why ?

What would you like to be carrying when the S**T hits the fan ?

I have the bigger one with the saw in the handle to be honest ive only used the saw at home but ive used the axe lots of times and its grand holds a good edge easy to sharpen the handle is like a polymer feels great in saying that its never got stuck far enough into a tree or log that ive had to but major pressure to get it out

Yeah Tigger I suppose you are right. My apologies. It was about "A" knife and we are probably getting way off track.

It was just with a few guys saying that you would ultimately need two knives, one large, one small to tackle all tasks for survival. I thought then about building a combo tool to do all duties.

i love it when a knife maker talks shtf to me

8 inch blade heavy squared off pommel, blade weight gently curved to the front decent carbon stainless 6mm construction and a tip that will penetrate but not break with not break being the most important

Why is the "woodlore" so popular ?

I'm waiting to see what sort of ideas emerge from this discussion before we have another poll.. simply because as of right now I havn't a clue what to put into a poll :O

cos the fat bloke reccomends an axe as well
    this design is ultimate
    if an axe is needed as well we'd be fucked

I'm waiting to see what sort of ideas emerge from this discussion before we have another poll.. simply because as of right now I havn't a clue what to put into a poll :O

blue sky thinking
    its all the rage

Sorry, just saw your posts, Davy.

Should we vote on the one or two knife thing guys?

I think the woodlore is a popular knife because it is what it is and it gives you the potential, with basic knowledge, to make what you will need in a survival situation.

That, and Ray Mears uses it and he's on the TV!! But seriously, I respect Ray a lot. You don't se any copies of the Bear Grills survival knife floating around, do you?

• Advertisement

Id mostly like something on the lines of the mora knife for sharpness and size only full thang and a little thicker blade or the med tom brown tracker style as both are very useful and eazy to hide on your belt My reasons for this is if the SHTF and i see someone walking towards me with a 12" mini sword on his belt he is gonna find himself looking down the wrong end of a double barrel You could hide it on or in your pack but that takes longer to get to it

Advertisement