Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Survival Knife [Read Mod post #175]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Hibrion wrote: »
    Should we vote on the one or two knife thing guys?

Yeah probably a good idea.
    • One knife
    • Two Knife set
    • Combination Tool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

grapeape wrote: »
    My reasons for this is if the SHTF and i see someone walking towards me with a 12" mini sword on his belt he is gonna find himself looking down the wrong end of a double barrel You could hide it on or in your pack but that takes longer to get to it

Jeez lad.. you're really preparing for the worst aren't you :eek:

Better keep a few of these on stand by ;)

http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-00-Z-MAX

davymoore wrote: »
    Yeah probably a good idea.
    • One knife
    • Two Knife set
    • Combination Tool

My thinking exactly. I'll send off a PM to one of our mods and ask that this be put up for one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Jeez lad.. you're really preparing for the worst aren't you :eek:

Better keep a few of these on stand by ;)

http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-00-Z-MAX
    The man asked the question lol if the SHTF in Sean Connery's words "no point bringing a knife to a gun fight" :D

I'm only messin with you. Although, I should clarify this is NOT what we mean by a combination tool ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r105/10456kaj/RonNewtonPistolBowie.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm only messin with you. Although, I should clarify this is NOT what we mean by a combination tool ;)

:( Spoil sport :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I would be a bit worried about trusting my survival on a hollow axe TBH.

What ways are there to strengthen it?

Nothing wrong with hollow axes.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking

life time warranty, mainly sold to the USA until now due to their popularity. Had to import mine from California

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Be a cool divers knife that.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Nah! This is a combo tool!:D:Dawesome_knife.jpg

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Sorry, just saw your posts, Davy.

Should we vote on the one or two knife thing guys?

I think the woodlore is a popular knife because it is what it is and it gives you the potential, with basic knowledge, to make what you will need in a survival situation.

That, and Ray Mears uses it and he's on the TV!! But seriously, I respect Ray a lot. You don't se any copies of the Bear Grills survival knife floating around, do you?

Proably,because as you said its Ray Mears,and the knife is a work of art and functional,but noting spectacular.
    Bear Gryllis knives are all Gerber made.And proably the Chinese havent got around to making the copies yet.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Walter Pugman

Those Bear Grylls knives arent supposed to be much use going buy some of the reviews online, and would you really want to carry somthing associated to that tit:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thinking a one piece of steel with a simple blade shape on one end and on the other a scraper type/axe blade grind on the other. Mid point is the grip for holding it.Drill a few holes in it at strategic places so it can be lashed into a split stick,broom handle,shovel handle,etc and you have a workable hatchet/tomahawk. On the knife end maybe a gut hook style grove to cut rope,belts,gut,makeshift fish spear?
    Its the only way at the moment that I see how you could build a one piece utility knife without compromising its one piece strenghth integrity.
    Look grizzly if you worked for a knife company that idea would ha e been a runner

D'OH!!:(.Well, that shows one thing.Either I should get a job as a knife designer as great minds think alike;),or I can sub conciously retain huge amounts of useless info,as I must have seen that months ago when I was on the website,and bring it to the forefront when needed.
    So nothing original there,back to the drawing board.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I can't decide on the latest poll at the moment, need to think on it for a day. I like the idea of two knifes, would it be too bulky? It would also have to be secure; so the small one doesn't fall out, or get caught up in things. Though I guess Davy would take care of those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I cannot decide either, while my thoughts have always been for two knife set a combination tool has me really intrigued.

I will vote on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

There used to be a combo knife/axe/hammer survival tool, lemme take a look?

The ATAX http://www.survival.com/atax.htm

the-ATAX.jpg

Designed by Ron Hood, late of "Hood's Wood's", who also lately designed the Hoodlum. Much more like it!

buck-hood-hoodlum-cat3648.jpg
    davymoore wrote:
    What I would be more interested in is seeing if we could come up with a tool that incorporates two knives/ Blades but is just one single tool.
    What about something like a SOG Revolver, a larger weight forward blade one side/smaller Izula style blade the other. Lock it with a solid pin like the ER Rao?

sog_revolver_seal.jpg

For a one and only SHTF TEOTWAWKI I want a Bussekin type knife, but people all over the world use the Kukri/E-Nep/Golok/Parang for everything. I guess one knife must be a big one and adapt to it to do the smaller jobs.

I like the blade shape of the E-Nep or Condor Boomslang, make it in a forgiving carbon steel like 01 or D2, give it a convex edge for damage limitation.

414scopy.jpg

CN24411HCM.jpg
    Bear Gryllis knives are all Gerber made.And proably the Chinese havent got around to making the copies yet
    The original Bear Gryll's knife was a Bayley, and the Chinese liked those!

http://www.bayleyknife.com/site/index.aspx
    There are Copies of my Bear Grylls knife being listed on ebay and otherwise sold on the internet, I would like to state that most are mass produced knock offs/ fakes that are in no way connected with or authorised by bayleyknife, which is and always will be work by my own hand. Out of interest I made less then 100 of my S4 survival knives showing Bears logo on the leatherwork or blades, any for sale will be pre-owned and usually sell for a premium.

I am being asked, so here’s how to help spot the fakes,
    • Basic tubes holding on the handle slabs
    • Lateral grind marks showing across the blade
    • Flat sided handle slabs
    • Square looking guard
    • Thin leather sheath
    • Side grill/scoops look gouged into the handle slab
    DSC09937.jpg

Hibrion wrote:
    I'm waiting on a custom 9 1/2 ich bowie at the moment, but that is for a very specific purpose.

I saw that thread on BB, James Wood is building me a large Bagwell style bowie at the minute :D
    Grizzly45 wrote:
    Thinking a one piece of steel with a simple blade shape on one end and on the other a scraper type/axe blade grind on the other. Mid point is the grip for holding it.Drill a few holes in it at strategic places so it can be lashed into a split stick,broom handle,shovel handle,etc and you have a workable hatchet/tomahawk. On the knife end maybe a gut hook style grove to cut rope,belts,gut,makeshift fish spear?
    Have you seen the Eco Hawk? Sounds a lot like your idea as well, very handy to have.

gear02.JPG

The longer I play with knives the more the "Nessmuk Trio" makes a lot of sense, if not those exact tools then versions of that type of tool would be good. Everyone's preferences are different. Like these with a smaller penknife like a Victorinox or Leatherman Ti. :D

reevefox31758ua.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Great thread so far, some eye opening designs out there! Speaking only for myself, I don't need an axe of any description, having used the baton method to the extent that I feel comfortable processing wood that way.

Give it a solid single piece blade without holes, hinges, or hollows that I can literally hang off of when I'm climbing a rock face or sheer slope, and make it tough enough so I can carve up me dinner directly afterwards. If you need to carry more stuff tie it under the pommel or utilise your pockets.

A solid pommel and I'm going to hold it in a variety of different ways so no finger grooves. For example look at the classic mora or kukri, or the ka-bar; all have similar pommels/handles even if they have very different blade configurations. It may not be tacticool but its stood the test of time across a variety of different cultures. If there are finger grooves you're penalising yourself for all but one grip. This kind of handle I would not use:

2979e8e97ffa587a328028efcbfe.jpg

I do use a double knife combo myself with the smaller blade for fine work, a folder is the preference for the smaller one though since its unlikely I'll need to use it for the same brute strength applications as the main blade.

All imho of course.

• Advertisement

Thread is coming along nicely now. When I was talking about the Bear Grill's knife, I meant you don't see any custom knife makers trying to copy it. You do with the woodlore and I think it's because of it's simplicity that it is popular. It's a knife, not a saw, not an axe, not anything else. It's a knife that will do what you need while in the wilderness.

A good question might be what people see as a survival setting?

Many people are talking about SHTF situations, urban environments, etc.

So, a side question: what environment so see this knife/ tool (since we don't know what we're making yet) being used in?

Thats the hard "how long is a piece of string" Question.
    As you really dont know what survival situation you will end up in either.
    Would a small Ray Mears knife be much good if you had to maybe help cut somone out of a car wreck via the roof.Or would a Tops Amageddon style blade be any good for taking out a splinter from your finger?[Yes with a lot of practise and nerves:):eek:].I just see it as a relatively big blade or set of big/small blades that might to cope with anything from cutting your steak to you being able to use it as an anchor while you climb down a cliff face.:eek:
    A toughie!

Well this could be the firs tof many tough questions ;)

Realistically, we can't build something that will do everything, certainly not cut open a car roof and then perform surgery before carving a spoon after which you have a splinter and need to take it out.

But if we try and think of the type/types of environment we think this knife will be used in, it really will aid in the design process.

For example: do you see it as a wilderness survival knife, something that you would bring hiking, camping, hunting, etc. or as something to use in a SHTF situation which could include urban areas also?

I saw that thread on BB, James Wood is building me a large Bagwell style bowie at the minute :D

Nice to see another BB user on here. It's a brilliant forum. I'd like to see that when it's done. The Bagwell's have a noce classic look to them.

I'm really looking forward to getting my bowie. It should be done in the next couple of weeks, I hope. Davy? haha

I'd like a large J. Neilson or Russ Andrews damascus bowie at some stage for my next custom piece. I like their style. Something with a looong swedge and about 12 inches for the blade :cool:

Thread is coming along nicely now. When I was talking about the Bear Grill's knife, I meant you don't see any custom knife makers trying to copy it. You do with the woodlore and I think it's because of it's simplicity that it is popular. It's a knife, not a saw, not an axe, not anything else. It's a knife that will do what you need while in the wilderness.

A good question might be what people see as a survival setting?

Many people are talking about SHTF situations, urban environments, etc.

So, a side question: what environment so see this knife/ tool (since we don't know what we're making yet) being used in?

For me I'd be using it in an urban area which is why I think 2 is better as id have the small one on my belt in urban area until I get out of the city and can put a larger knife on my belt so not to get any unwanted attention

For me I'd be using it in an urban area which is why I think 2 is better as id have the small one on my belt in urban area until I get out of the city and can put a larger knife on my belt so not to get any unwanted attention

Are you actually using it in the urban area? If not what's the point of the smaller blade?

Are you actually using it in the urban area? If not what's the point of the smaller blade?

Well in a SHTF situation id like a small fixed knife that could be carried covertly for use quickly rather than a lager one that would draw attention. Used for scavenging rope tarp prying general use really rather than a folder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Right I have cast my vote, I went with two knives in the end. At the end of the day I do not want the compromise you get with a multi tool.

I do however have a bit of a soft spot for the "Crovel".

Crovel-544x348px.jpg

Its kind of a enhanced Chinese army issue spade with some interesting features namely the pry bar, probably one of the most important tools for urban survival.

krissovo wrote: »
    Right I have cast my vote, I went with two knives in the end. At the end of the day I do not want the compromise you get with a multi tool.

I do however have a bit of a soft spot for the "Crovel".

Crovel-544x348px.jpg

Its kind of a enhanced Chinese army issue spade with some interesting features namely the pry bar, probably one of the most important tools for urban survival.

That is deadly do you know where they can be bought ?

• Advertisement

Looks really uncomfortable to use with the crowbar head in the way.

Advertisement