Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me build a gaming PC! €1000 - €1500

Options
  • 28-11-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Sup all!

I'm looking to get a kickass gaming PC built for myself.

Unfortunately I am not particularly knowledgable when it comes to the range of hardware available, so any advice that you guys can offer would be grand.

The price range that I am looking at is €1000 to an absolute max of €1500. I am expecting to pay around the €1200-€1300 range.

My buying philosophy is to have gear that is as upgradable as possible. I tend to buy high in order to get a computer that will last as long as possible, and have a backbone that allows me to add upgraded parts without losing performance over time.

I already have a great monitor, as well as keyboard, mouse, speakers and earphones, DVD-drive, so it's just the actual system itself that I need.

So what I need is...

Processor: A very good one that will last a long time. I understand that they don't need to be upgraded often, so the better I get now the longer it will last. I hear that those i5 2500k are really good bang for your buck, but I'm happy to go for something a bit more expensive if it means I can go longer without having to upgrade. I definately want to stick with Intel though. Also note: I don't overclock things unless it comes overclocked out the box. I am to scared to get into overclocking because I don't feel that I know enough about hardware to do it intelligently or safely.

RAM: I am looking at about 8gb of DDR3. I don't know anything about different Hz or different brands. I've been stuck with 2gb of DDR2 for too long now...so I'm happy to fork out extra to have high quality RAM to spare.

Motherboard: I suppose that this is where upgradability becomes a factor. I need something that looks forward, and won't choke components. Something ready for next-gen stuff. Don't want to land up with a situation like I had before where I got an awesome graphics card but it turned out my motherboard didn't have PCI-Express 2, so it was eternally choked.

HDs: I've been reading a bit about SSD drives, and it seems that a lot of people use them exclusively for their OS, and then have a HDD for their storage and game installs etc. Is that a good way to go? Maybe a 120gig SSD for the OS/Office/Browsers etc, and a good 1Tb HDD for everything else? What brand should I be looking at, and what specs on the different drives? I don't want to land up with an HDD that slows everything down because it has a slow read time.

Graphics Card: Seeing as this is going to be a gaming PC, a good graphics card is obviously a must. I prefer Nvidea over Radeon. I'm looking for something high-end that can handle the latest games (e.g. BF3) on max graphics, but not so high-end where the price goes through the roof, like they tend to do. I need something that has high specs, and proven to be stable. Having an HDMI slot as well would be nice, as my monitor has an HDMI slot that has remained unused for far too long.

Powersupply: I don't know what wattage is really needed here. Obviously depends on the other parts. I have an Odin 800w in my current PC (told you I don't know what I'm doing), but I don't know if it's worth trying to reuse it rather than get a new one. I hear that brand is quite important with PSU as a lot of PCs blow up from bad brands?

Case: Dust resistant + good flow + USB ports on the front, top and back. I'm quite care-free about the case. As long as it looks good, doesn't rattle, and has space for a decent amount of USB ports, it's all gravy!

Cooling: I have no idea if cooling is even required, but if it is...then I have no idea what to look for. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to cooling tech.

So ya...assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

Greylor wrote: »
    Processor: I hear that those i5 2500k are really good bang for your buck, but I'm happy to go for something a bit more expensive if it means I can go longer without having to upgrade.

The i5-2500k is all you need for games (right now) so it's a good choice. However if your definitely not going to overclock then keep in mind that the K processors are the unlocked versions and you could save money by going for a 2400. But I'd recommend getting an i5-2500k or i7-2600k because when you realise how easy it is to overclock them you might regret it!
    RAM: I am looking at about 8gb of DDR3. I don't know anything about different Hz or different brands. I've been stuck with 2gb of DDR2 for too long now...so I'm happy to fork out extra to have high quality RAM to spare.

8GB of DDR3 is fairly cheap anyway. You can get a good kit for 35-45e. Just watch out for the ones with large heatsinks because they might not fit depending on the CPU cooler you get.
    Motherboard: I suppose that this is where upgradability becomes a factor. I need something that looks forward, and won't choke components. Something ready for next-gen stuff. Don't want to land up with a situation like I had before where I got an awesome graphics card but it turned out my motherboard didn't have PCI-Express 2, so it was eternally choked.

Look out for the Z68 Gen3 motherboards, they support multiple graphics cards if needed and will also be compatible with the next Ivy Bridge line of processors from Intel, although you might not need or want to upgrade to those. All the major brands have good Z68 boards, like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte..
    HDs: I've been reading a bit about SSD drives, and it seems that a lot of people use them exclusively for their OS, and then have a HDD for their storage and game installs etc. Is that a good way to go? Maybe a 120gig SSD for the OS/Office/Browsers etc, and a good 1Tb HDD for everything else? What brand should I be looking at, and what specs on the different drives? I don't want to land up with an HDD that slows everything down because it has a slow read time.

SSD's are magic. System boots and shuts down in seconds, programs launch instantaneously :) Definitely worth it if you can afford them. Larger hard drives are really expensive at the moment though because of floods in Thailand, so you're looking at paying 2 or 3 times the usual price for a 1TB drive.

Graphics Card: Seeing as this is going to be a gaming PC, a good graphics card is obviously a must. I prefer Nvidea over Radeon. I'm looking for something high-end that can handle the latest games (e.g. BF3) on max graphics, but not so high-end where the price goes through the roof, like they tend to do. I need something that has high specs, and proven to be stable. Having an HDMI slot as well would be nice, as my monitor has an HDMI slot that has remained unused for far too long.

With your budget I'd go for a GTX570 or a Radeon 6970.
    Lower down the GTX560 Ti and Radeon 6950 are great value for money.
    That's if you're buying right now, new Radeon HD7000 series rumnoured for end 2011, while the new Geforce are still a while away.

Powersupply: I don't know what wattage is really needed here. Obviously depends on the other parts. I have an Odin 800w in my current PC (told you I don't know what I'm doing), but I don't know if it's worth trying to reuse it rather than get a new one. I hear that brand is quite important with PSU as a lot of PCs blow up from bad brands?

You could reuse it if you want, but 800W is way more power than you need for just a processor and a single card + 2 HDD's.

Cooling: I have no idea if cooling is even required, but if it is...then I have no idea what to look for. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to cooling tech.

There are plenty of different options out there. If you're definitely not going to overclock, the CPU cooler that comes with the processor should be fine. If not there are plenty of aftermarket ones that will keep your CPU nice and cool :D

I don't know how to use the basket script but I'm sure someone will make one up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

Bump for great gaming justice!

I went onto that German website that everyone seems to be using, but the selection of items is massive! So many different options for the same thing! I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at. It also asked for some stuff I wasn't expecting...like heat paste.

But ya, based on what MikeNine said, I'm looking at the following:
    Processor: i7-2600k
    RAM: 8gig or 12gig DDR3
    Motherboard: A good Z68 Gen3 board
    Harddrives: 1xSSD for OS and 1x 1 or 1.5tb HDD
    Graphics Card: GTX570 or GTX580
    Case: Whatever can house everything, with space to spare for upgrades and additions.
    Powersupply: Not sure. 550watt enough? 600? 800?
    Cooling: Whatever is required to make the rest work without blowing up.

Any kind soul able to point me to the specific pieces themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Meant to get back to your first post, sorry. Forgot about ya. :P

You're right in essentials in almost all of what you said - and yeah, HWVS isn't easy to get around unless you know what you're looking for. Here's a build to look over.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,269.62 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9|€35.69
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€188.78
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€97.91
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€55.19
    Palit Geforce GTX580 1536MB, PCI-Express|€404.58
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€173.24
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€135.00
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Titanium Grey|€91.69
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Series - 600 Watt|€87.54

I've given you an i5 2500K, and a very good CPU cooler, perfect for overclocking*. I've also given you a 128GB SSD for your OS, and browsers, media players, etc. whatever you want to put on it. There's a perfectly upgradable Z68 board there too, as well as a GTX 580 graphics card, and an extremely good (and quiet!) PSU to handle all that and then some.

*You owe it to yourself to look into this. If you want, I can walk you through OCing your processor. I'm talking 4.4GHz in about five minutes here. It's just so bloody easy with these new processors there's no reason not to.

You, sir, are a freaking legend. Thank you very much!

I have a couple of questions...
    1) Would it improve performance if I got 12gigs of the same RAM rather than the 8gb? The price difference seems negligable, and if it improves performance then w00t!

2) I read some reviews of that mobo and the only negative point that people have about it is that it only has one proper slot for the graphics card, which means no dual-cards at all. Will that be a problem in the future?

3) As for overclocking, I'll take your word for it that it is easy and safe to do. I just dont want to burn anything out, or radically reduce the lifespan of the hardware. Based on the selection of items that you've chosen (I've read reviews of every piece now :P) I trust that you know what you're talking about.

1) No. Simple as. ;)

2) Not if you don't want to run more than one GPU. (I should mention that if you are, you'll want to get a more powerful PSU now, as the 600W I specced won't cope with a second 580.)

3) There are a bunch of reviews out there. If you need help with it, I can point you to some particularly good ones, or walk you through it. If you really don't want to bother, you can remove the H60 from the build; the stock cooler will be fine (though it won't be particularly quiet).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Here's what I'd get with the info you've given me.

Total build cost: €1,280.59 + €30 shipping
    NZXT Phantom Big Tower - Black , ATX, ohne Netzteil €134.55
    Palit Geforce GTX 570, 1280MB, PCI-Express €276.63
    WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5") €169.00
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €95.54
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9 €39.77
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €188.78
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156 €67.99
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €159.11
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 Watt €149.22

Stuff I changed:

smaller ssd, you'll only have a game or two at a time on here and your OS. It's not meant for storage. the 1TB caviar black is a high performance hdd and will serve you well.

Swopped the 580 for a 570 for a few reasons

-the price/performance jump isnt worth the price at all and thats IF you're even making use of the extra power of the 580, unless you're running massive resolutions, you wont be.
    -If after 1-2 years the 570 isnt keeping up with games, it's easy to buy another 570 and sli it for an affordable upgrade. This is cheaper an more affordable than sli'ing the 580's.
    -a totally new set of gpu hardware is set to drop in the next 6 months, slapping down that much money now on a 580 isnt the best choice.

The mobo supports sli and is gen 3, which will support ivybridge if you plan to upgrade.

Swopped from the h60 to the nh-14d, it's near silent and has better cooling.

The psu is overkill but gives you tons of overhead for future upgrades like sli. You'll have it for years to come.

If you want to spend the whole 1500, you can bump up the graphics card(go with the 570), cpu (to the i7) or the bigger sdd. But if you want the best bang for buck system within that budget, I think this is quite a solid choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would stick with the 120gb SSD as I have one and it is very easy to go over 64gb with only Windows, 1 game and office installed
    the Caviar Black is nice but maybe not the best time to buy one as I have a 2tb which cost nearly the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Check this 2TB drive which is cheaper
    Amazon seems to be the place to get hard-drives at the moment. Like this 2TB HD for £99 (€116)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST2000DL003-Barracuda-3-5-inch-5900RPM/dp/B004C0WVP6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322683961&sr=8-5

Check this 2TB drive which is cheaper

That's a caviar green, more suited twoards storage than everyday use. With the budget he has listed, the hdd price spike is almost a non-issue.

I'd go with the 1tb caviar black, unless you're storing tons of tv shows and movies, it'll take a long time to fill. a terrabyte is a LOT of storage space and the caviar black is high performance which is what you want in a nice high end machine like this.

Just my two cents ;)

a terrabyte is a LOT of storage space and the caviar black is high performance which is what you want in a nice high end machine like this.

Pffft. I filled a 2TB drive in less than a year, and that was being conservative. As is, I'm going to need another 3TB ASAP (stupid HDD price increases). Depends a lot on the user. I know people that get by with one 500GB drive, which I think is just nuts. (As is, I'm using 6TB).

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Pffft. I filled a 2TB drive in less than a year, and that was being conservative. As is, I'm going to need another 3TB ASAP (stupid HDD price increases). Depends a lot on the user. I know people that get by with one 500GB drive, which I think is just nuts. (As is, I'm using 6TB).

Tell me about it :P I used to have 3.5tb of data stored on 1x 2tb, 1x 1tb and 1x 500gig.

Then the 1tb drive died on me...and then a couple of months ago the 2tb died on me, leaving me with only the 500gig drive I'm using now, and it drives me nuts having so little space.

Lost most of my stuff :(

But ya, I reckon I'll probably get the caviar black 1tb HDD and the 120gig SSD.

Gonnna have to sit down on the weekend and come to a decision :)

I've a 500gig drive here that I'm comfortable with and have been using for the last few years.

I've a collection of music that's about 70 gigs, a 200 gig video/movie tv show collection and then the other 130 gigs is windows and various programs and other **** and I've about 100 gigs of free space left. the most I've ever had was about 450 gigs full.

So I'd be the complete opposite end of the spectrum to you. I dont get what you have that'd need that much storage!

Tell me about it :P I used to have 3.5tb of data stored on 1x 2tb, 1x 1tb and 1x 500gig.

Then the 1tb drive died on me...and then a couple of months ago the 2tb died on me, leaving me with only the 500gig drive I'm using now, and it drives me nuts having so little space.

Lost most of my stuff :(

But ya, I reckon I'll probably get the caviar black 1tb HDD and the 120gig SSD.

Gonnna have to sit down on the weekend and come to a decision :)

Let us know what you decide, if you've any more questions....we're all here like!

I'm trying to put together the build on that website but that 120gig SSD doesn't show up on the search :( Any ideas? Is another piece blocking it or something?

Also, how do I link a build from that site onto the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I'm trying to put together the build on that website but that 120gig SSD doesn't show up on the search :( Any ideas? Is another piece blocking it or something?

Also, how do I link a build from that site onto the forum?

It's 128 GB. Here's some linkage.

Right...based on what everyone has been saying, this is what I came up with as a sort of "ultimate solution."

With that setup I can see 2, maybe 3, places where I could potentially save a bit though, and input would be appreciated...

1) Replace the Extreme4 mobo with the Pro3. That's a 62.22 saving. My thinking behind putting in the Pro3 instead of the Extreme4 is that I don't plan on getting or using dual cards. I prefer single card setups (personal preference based on absolutely no experiance :P)

2) Maybe bring the power supply down to the 600 watt Cooler Master Pro. Thats another 61.21 saved.

3) I plan on going to all the local computer companies and seeing if they will beat the price from hardwareversand. Remember that I have an 800watt OdinGT in my current computer. If I could use that PSU for the new computer, thats a whopping 145.86 off.

So, if I were to replace the Extreme4 with the Pro3, and then use my own PSU, I could knock roughly 200.00 off the cost of this beast!

Thoughts?

Right...based on what everyone has been saying, this is what I came up with as a sort of "ultimate solution."

With that setup I can see 2, maybe 3, places where I could potentially save a bit though, and input would be appreciated...

1) Replace the Extreme4 mobo with the Pro3. That's a 62.22 saving. My thinking behind putting in the Pro3 instead of the Extreme4 is that I don't plan on getting or using dual cards. I prefer single card setups (personal preference based on absolutely no experiance :P)

2) Maybe bring the power supply down to the 600 watt Cooler Master Pro. Thats another 61.21 saved.

3) I plan on going to all the local computer companies and seeing if they will beat the price from hardwareversand. Remember that I have an 800watt OdinGT in my current computer. If I could use that PSU for the new computer, thats a whopping 145.86 off.

So, if I were to replace the Extreme4 with the Pro3, and then use my own PSU, I could knock roughly 200.00 off the cost of this beast!

Thoughts?

Unless you're running at 2560x1600, the 580 is overkill, you dont need it and probably wont use the extra horsepower. At that tier of card the price/performance ratio is crap too.

So stick with the Extreme4 and get the 570, and then dual 570 when its time to upgrade again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

or go with a radeon 6970

So stick with the Extreme4 and get the 570, and then dual 570 when its time to upgrade again?

Yeah, building a PC is hard, everyone (including me....oh how it affects me) suffers what I call "tech greed" where you buy way more than you need and it's pretty wasteful.

The new Ati cards come out in January, so along with the 580 being way overkill for what you need, they'll be kinda obsolete in a few months or so. by the time you reach a point where you need to upgrade in a year or two, they'll be a whole new line-up to choose from.

If you go with the 570 and plan to SLI in future. That setup will destroy ANYTHING you throw at it, the power of the higher end cards is immense, especially at this bracket!

You don't have to take my advice btw, it's your money so make your own decision, this is just how I'd look at it in your shoes ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, building a PC is hard, everyone (including me....oh how it affects me) suffers what I call "tech greed" where you buy way more than you need and it's pretty wasteful.

The new Ati cards come out in January, so along with the 580 being way overkill for what you need, they'll be kinda obsolete in a few months or so. by the time you reach a point where you need to upgrade in a year or two, they'll be a whole new line-up to choose from.

If you go with the 570 and plan to SLI in future. That setup will destroy ANYTHING you throw at it, the power of the higher end cards is immense, especially at this bracket!

You don't have to take my advice btw, it's your money so make your own decision, this is just how I'd look at it in your shoes ;)

Makes sense.

Plus I make a bigger saving swapping the 580 for the 570 than swapping the Extreme4 for the Pro3.

Regarding the ATI cards...I was under the impression that ATI cards and NVidea cards need different motherboards. Am I wrong?

Also, is there a reason that you recommended the Phantom case? Does it have some advantage over the Fractal Design one?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Makes sense.

Plus I make a bigger saving swapping the 580 for the 570 than swapping the Extreme4 for the Pro3.

Regarding the ATI cards...I was under the impression that ATI cards and NVidea cards need different motherboards. Am I wrong?

Also, is there a reason that you recommended the Phantom case? Does it have some advantage over the Fractal Design one?

ATI and NVidea cards use the same connections. They all use PCI so there is no need to change mobo. The only thing you might want is a motherboard that's compatiable with PCI 3.0 unless you're planning on using Crossfire than it's not so much of an issue.

Makes sense.

Not particularly, the phantom has tons of room, fan controllers, looks cool and has a ton of space for extra fans on top of like the 7 you get with it. It's a nice case!

Same functionality over though in the grand scheme, buy what you like best!

Also, the phantom is full tower while the r3, is a mid tower, phantoms a lot bigger.

Here's something that might throw a spanner in the works....

I'm currently sporting a GTX280 graphics card. It's been choked by my other components since the day I bought it, so it's never really been able to stretch its legs, and I've never been able to see what it's truly capable of.

Even though it's only a DX10 card, would it be able to handle current games at max settings, or is it already obsolete?

If it could, it opens up the option of dropping buying a graphics card all together, and then simply getting a new one at the end of it's lifespan (like end of 2012 or so?) when the new generation of cards are out.

And seeing as screen resoultion appears to be a factor for cards, I run everything at 1920x1200.

No. A 280 is less than half the power of a 580.

And is DX10.

No. A 280 is less than half the power of a 580.

And is DX10.

Straight, to the point.

Good man :D

Sorry about that. It was a great card in its day, but a GTX 285 SLI setup gives about the same results as a 480, so a 280 to a 580... well it wouldn't do very well.

You could certainly keep it as a stop-gap card, if there was stuff you really wanted to upgrade, but I don't see anything in your build that's worth temporarily sacrificing the 580.

Sorry about that. It was a great card in its day, but a GTX 285 SLI setup gives about the same results as a 480, so a 280 to a 580... well it wouldn't do very well.

You could certainly keep it as a stop-gap card, if there was stuff you really wanted to upgrade, but I don't see anything in your build that's worth temporarily sacrificing the 580.

No no...I wasn't being snide. Direct to the point is a good thing.

I reckon I'll do what you're saying and keep it as a backup card in case something goes kaboom on me.

I've gone ahead and ordered the computer from a local store. I'm paying a fair amount more for going local, but I want people on hand for support, and it serves a dual purpose of building a supplier relationship (long story, but has to do with my job).

There are only 2 parts that we have a problem with getting before the end of the week (which basically means before next year):

The Big Phantom tower and the Caviar Black HDD.

So my requests are:
    1) The guy is busy looking up an alternative performance drive, but do you guys have any alternatives to suggest? It needs to be a performance drive as it will have most, if not all, of my games on it.

2) He's said that he can get his hands on anything, specifically cases, that can be found on the dabs.ie website. I need to know what cases would be proper alernatives to the Big Phantom tower that can be seen on the dabs.ie site. I would prefer a full tower to a medium or mini.

I basically have until tomorrow to figure out the workarounds otherwise I may land up having to wait until the new year (would suck...bad).

EDIT: He sent me the following links to choose stuff from...
    Cases:
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,cases--cooling-and-power,cases/11145-351080000-40730000
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,cases--cooling-and-power,cases/11145-351370000

HDDs:
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,hard-drives,internal-hard-drives/11154-42730000-56330000-52450000

• Advertisement

One case that I like very much:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/fractal-design-define-r3-titanium-grey-mid-tower-usb-3-0-case-7TM7.html?src=3

Bigger, similar case:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/fractal-design-define-xl-titanium-grey-tower-usb-3-0-7TMF.html?src=3

And another lovely one:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-600t-mesh-graphite-series-mid-tower-gaming-case-7TN0.html?src=3

As for hard drives, you have a Z68 board, so you could use SRT. This uses a small SSD as a cache to speed up a larger drive. It won't cache everything - only what you use most, but it'll learn over time, and get better - but what it does cache will be much faster than any performance mechanical drive.

1TB drive:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-1tb-spinpoint-f3-7200rpm-sata-3gb-s-32mb-65QC.html?q=1tb%20samsung&src=16

Small SSD:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-64gb-m4-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7GL0.html?refs=56350000&src=3

A bit slower, but cheaper:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-60gb-vertex-plus-series-sata-3gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7P0S.html?refs=56350000&src=3

Hope that helps.

Advertisement