Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty 2- Will there ever be another like it?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Its been quite a few years now since COD 2 was released. there have been ww2 games brought out in the mean time like COD 3 and World at War but none that gave me the same kind of thrill that COD2 did. although i enjoy the modern warfare series and realise that the ww2 concept for games has been overdone in some peoples minds, i cant bond with these games and enjoy them anywhere near as much as COD2 and MOH frontline. have we seen the end of big name and big budget ww2 based games? i would really like another proper ww2 game, especially based in europe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it's been done to death, to be honest. We'll probably see more eventually, but given the success of modern warfare games (as in, games about wars set in the present or near future, not just the actual COD: Modern Warfare games), that seems to be where the profit is for now, so we'll probably keep seeing more of them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Red Orchestra 2 came out not more than 2 months ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i have to say if i will have to play one more WW2 game i will bleed out of my arse and eyes...

its just like fashion.

remember there was a pure feckaton of WW2 games? anyone that could make 2 lines of code would make a WW2 game. It was fun, but then there is only that much you can do for WW2.

Now its modern warfare/mild futuristic season. I am a fan of modenr weaponary, so this season really makes me happy, but i bet it will get old like WW2 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

WW2 had its time in games, yearly COD and MoH releases tapped it dry though. I would love to see more stuff like The Saboteur, which was a great idea with some flaws, its a fantastic period of history and there's more to be done with it instead of endless fps games. It speaks volumes once COD went current with COD4 then went back to WW2 with World at War it wasnt as well recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

krudler wrote: »
    WW2 with World at War it wasnt as well recieved.
    Totally disagree ... This was my favorite Call of Duty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

World at War is fantastic. It was a pity about the hacking problem a while back but it's been fixed now thankfully.

I really hope Battlefield could do a WW2 expansion for BF3 much like the Vietnam extension for Bad Company 2. It would be fantastic!

As much as I love modern shooters too, there's just a nice simplicity to the WW2 ones and the history behind them. None of that which scope will I pick stuff either, just grabbing a Thompson or M1 Garand and going for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

WW2 was way over done, Medal of Honor used to be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Red Orchestra 2 came out not more than 2 months ago.....

Is red orchestra available on the 360?

Nope, PC only I'm afraid.
    Certain people on boards were raving about how amazing it was, I couldn't get into it personally though

I googled it and i think its coming out on xbox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought Call of Duty one was a far superior game to CoD 2. Liked how they were all historical missions and you were fighting alongside people that actually fought in those battles. CoD 2 just seemed to have run out of battles to reinact, particularly the really poor stalingrad missions, a highlight of the original. It was still a good game though, but didn't have the emotional impact of the first game.

I think WW2 was over done with shooters well before the original Call of Duty, CoD just showed that WW2 could be done well if you weren't lazy about it. However I don't want a straight up FPS again, something like Commandos would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Loved World at War and MoH: Frontline

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought MoH: Frontline was a very over rated game. The opening was impressive at the time but it's laughable now. I played it after MoH: Allied Assault on the PC which is a far better game and does the beach landing far better. Then Frontline dies on it's ass after a decent second level and the rest of the levels afterwards just aren't very good.

I quite liked the original MoH on the PS1, much better than goldeneye but I'm sure it hasn't aged well.

Didn't really like WaW, it was very uninspired and there was some really bad level design, like where the AI wouldn't push forward if there was one enemy left that they couldn't shoot.

BF:1943 was also very good. I think what I really love about those games are the much simpler weapons. No hi-tech assault rifles spamming 50 rounds a second with infrared scopes or heartbeat monitors. Running about with an M1 garand, 8 bullets per clip and maybe a rifle grenade attachment meant every shot counts and really adds to the gameplay i think.

Yep there's something about the WW2 weapons that I like. Really liked playing Day of Defeat because you had to choose between a pray and spray machine gun or a rifle which was deadly and accurate but if you missed you were ****ed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

WW2 = More satisifaction in kills with a bolt-action rifle :)

Im glad others are feeling the exact same as myself. Never actually played COD1 im afraid to say. I just remember playing cod2 on a gamestop hd screen when the 360 was released and being blown away!

Im glad others are feeling the exact same as myself. Never actually played COD1 im afraid to say. I just remember playing cod2 on a gamestop hd screen when the 360 was released and being blown away!

Your username doesn't at all give the impression that you had an interest in anything WW2 related ;)

Does my memory server me right...than in MOH or MOH Underground, in the multiplayer splitscreen...you could be a velociraptor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Miss good old WWII shooters tbh, RTCW + CoD:UO + CoD2 (By far my fav call of duty) were brilliant. Red Orchestra looks amazing tbh, would really love to have a good PC again to pop that bad boy in.

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    Your username doesn't at all give the impression that you had an interest in anything WW2 related ;)

You dont know the half of it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Much like the rest of gaming in general, the ww2 genre lacked originality and freshness - and like the rest of gaming, dev houses were too scared to furrow their own path, and instead copied a template. It was a 6 year conflict & yet the games industry insisted on almost exclusively covering the D-day landings & America's involvement in Normandy. In that respect, it's no wonder the genre ran out of steam & ideas - it only had one in the first place.

Call of Duty 2 is a good example of one of the few times the genre broke the mould & showed us a side of the conflict rarely covered: the war in the desert. The British campaign was fun, original but lacked none of the drama & intensity of Normandy. Elsewhere, you also got the odd gem like Hidden & Dangerous 2, which covering SAS operations, and was a fantastic (if rock-hard) game.

But the prevailing theory was that gamers simply wanted to blast Nazis in French towns, especially as the Johnny Douchebag demographic became more powerful in the market, the thinking I guess was that nobody would play a ww2 without the Yanks saving the day.

It's a shame because the war has a huge scope to tell compelling & dramatic stories if a dev house chose to branch out a little. Particularly the early years of the war & all those losses the allies suffered; with the fashion in games for emotional storytelling, a fantastic yarn could be made showing the bravery of those on the losing side of the battles. While yes, allowing you to blast Nazis along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Call of Duty:1776

Red coats v the yanks, all in formation,
    fire, step back, reload, step forward, fire, step back, reload. Hours of fun

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

krudler wrote: »
    WW2 had its time in games, yearly COD and MoH releases tapped it dry though. I would love to see more stuff like The Saboteur, which was a great idea with some flaws, its a fantastic period of history and there's more to be done with it instead of endless fps games. It speaks volumes once COD went current with COD4 then went back to WW2 with World at War it wasnt as well recieved.

Your right it wasn't well recieved at all,I enjoyed the single player though,fighting against the japs as the us army and then fighting the germans in berlin as the russians :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Does my memory server me right...than in MOH or MOH Underground, in the multiplayer splitscreen...you could be a velociraptor ?

Also a dog :)...those were the days when multiplayer was a fun addition to a shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

As mentioned before, the Commandos series is an excellent bunch of games. Think my favourite was the second, a good bit of variety in setting and fun gameplay/decent characters to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was only thinking the other day that if call of duty went back and did a HD remake of COD2 id actually go back and play it.......... /installs COD2

There was something about the simplicity of WW2 that did not carry over to the Modern Warfare series. Maybe it's a case of looking back with orse tinted glasses though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Miss the ol Medal of Honour games.

Jimmy Patterson vs....the Velociraptor :D:D:D:D

Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thought Call of Duty one was a far superior game to CoD 2. Liked how they were all historical missions and you were fighting alongside people that actually fought in those battles. CoD 2 just seemed to have run out of battles to reinact, particularly the really poor stalingrad missions, a highlight of the original. It was still a good game though, but didn't have the emotional impact of the first game.

I think WW2 was over done with shooters well before the original Call of Duty, CoD just showed that WW2 could be done well if you weren't lazy about it. However I don't want a straight up FPS again, something like Commandos would be great.

Yeah, 1 was much better than 2. In fact i gave up on 2 about halfway in, it just felt like a complete re-hash of 1, only worse. Think i got to the stalingrad missions, realised they were ****, and couldnt have been arsed.
    Also i think, tho i could be wrong, wasnt it the game that first used the respawning enemy crap?

Personally the only CoD games i ever enjoyed were CoD 1, and United Offensive. UO was amazing, esp for MP. MW1 is also a decent campaign with some great setpieces, but everything else is fairly mediocre/****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

thought Black Ops was class

Advertisement