Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health & Safety FETAC course?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Sorry,Im not sure if this is in the right forum...

Does anyone have any information on the FETAC Health & Safety Level 5 course?

Is it a decent course,is there jobs obtainable with the qualification?
    Does it carry any weight abroad? This is important for me as i am considering travelling in the next year or so.

I have no experience of this area but is an area i would like to train in.
    Im working fulltime at the minute so distance learning would be ideal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Barryd09

The FETAC course would be a useful introduction to the area of health & safety and the kinds of work involved in it but to be honest you might be better off looking at doing something more extensive if you want to work in this field long term. Many people in H&S these days have a third level qualification or are working towards one.
    A good starting point is the UCD cert: http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/16177%20UCD%20CertSHWW_1.pdf

This is offered on a part-time basis and is part of a progression structure to an overall degree. However since it is part-time there is a pretty hefty course fee attached to it.

There are also some providers offering NEBOSH courses which can be useful and provide good training but may not have the level of recognition required by some employers. However if you have comprehensive practical work experience or qualifications in a particular field then this qualification could be a useful supplement. http://www.cmi-ireland.com/Health_&_Safety_Diploma.html
    Again fees are applied to these courses.

Regarding the FETAC level 5 in H& S if you go ahead with it check whether its a full FETAC award or a single component award. A single component is generally one-eight of an overall Level 5 award so just make sure you know what you are getting.

Hope this helps.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Thanks for the information Parerclip!!

I need to look at all the courses & my options before taking anything on.

Thanks again!!

Advertisement