Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was Mr.Bean an alien.

• 28-11-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

A friend and I were recently talking about our old childhood memories. We mentioned many TV series that shaped our childhood and eventually we came to Mister Bean. The following conversation took place.

Me: "Yea, it's still funny to this day"
    He: "True, I'll have my kids watch it"
    Me: "It's a shame they had to finish the series, he never got home"
    He: "O_o"
    Me: "....yea he was an Alien trying to get home"
    He: "eh...Are we talking about the same series?"
    Me: "Yeah, I thought everyone knew that, go see the intro credits again, he falls out of a spaceship and is trying to get back, that's why he's so weird."

The Discussion went on but I always thought it was the unmentioned subtext to the whole series. So did anyone else think the same.....

Here's the intro so you can see again and get nastalgic for a while.

Inb4 "You're an Alien"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You are an alien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm not sure if Bean was alien or not, but I hope I'm not on my own here thinking he was more than just a bit of a creep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've never once heard anyone mention he could be an alien!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No, he was just intellectually disabled. And we shouldn't laugh at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

The Cartoon series was great, he had many more wacky adventures.
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I thought it was obvious that he was an alien. :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Does that mean his full name is Mr. Hugh Mann Bean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Luckily he never did anything remotely humourous, so we're safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I thought it was why his alien body was messing with the TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:eek: It all makes sense now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nanu feckin nanu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Mr. Bean = comedy for people who found Jerry Lewis too intellectual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I'm not sure if Bean was alien or not, but I hope I'm not on my own here thinking he was more than just a bit of a creep.

"Teddy!". Is this because he was mean to you and cut you to shreds? He was a right bastard though, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Is 'The X-Factor' full of aliens just coz it's opening credits has a giant 'X' flying thru space towards Earth?

**awaits the "where did you think Janet Devlin came from" replies!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Is 'The X-Factor' full of aliens just coz it's opening credits has a giant 'X' flying thru space towards Earth?

**awaits the "where did you think Janet Devlin came from" replies!! :D

I concede your point, sometime aliens and the mentally retarded can be difficult to differentiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

I always thought he was an alien.

But watching the credits again, it's possible that he had been abducted by aliens and was dumped back on earth due to his stupidity. Or was mentally deficient due to all the alien tests. Hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Be||e wrote: »
    I always thought he was an alien.

But watching the credits again, it's possible that he had been abducted by aliens and was dumped back on earth due to his stupidity. Or was mentally deficient due to all the alien testing. Hmm

I would happily subscribe to this thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I thought it was symbolic to show he was alien to society/ alienated from society, not necessarily an alien :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So Mr. Bean was just an English version of ALF is what you're saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Be janey the mods must have been in a good mood to let you back!

Nah he wasn't a creep and he wasn't an alien, he was a real person with feelings, just like Teddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Jesus you're right!! :eek:

If anything, it seems to suggest that he was sent from Heaven - the light and the gospel-like singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I used to wonder this too, but didn't the producers state that the opening sequence was meant to symbolise an ordinary man being cast into the spot light or something. Not that I'd consider Mr. Bean to be an ordinary man... I think I prefer the alien theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Mr.Bean was overrated, it's not even that funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So is he an alien or what?

I never made the connection tbh. Actually I feel a bit disturbed by this revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Mr.Bean was overrated, it's not even that funny.
    I don't know if I'd find it funny now, but it was brilliant as a kid.

Actually, scratch that - I just watched this scene again:

Still makes me laugh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I used to love Mr bean as a kid! I loved that green mini that he had with the black wings/bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Yeah he was an Alien. In the animated series a spaceship comes to pick him up full of People that look exactly like him. Can't remember what else happened in that though.

Taken from the Mr.Bean Wiki
    In the animated series (episode 38, "Double Trouble") he is taken inside a spacecraft with "aliens" who look exactly like him and even have their own plushy toys. In an obvious homage, the aliens send him back home in a beam of light similar to the opening of the original Mr. Bean series. Whether Mr. Bean himself is an extra-terrestrial is not clear.

I always thought he was an alien. Thought it was obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

My mam told me he was an alien. But then again she said everyone was an alien. Never saw her wearing a tinfoil hat though... But I think there's a more important question:

Was Mr. Alien a bean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was he abducted by aliens and they are literally dropping him off?

du Maurier wrote: »
    "Teddy!". Is this because he was mean to you and cut you to shreds? He was a right bastard though, to be honest.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Be janey the mods must have been in a good mood to let you back!

Nah he wasn't a creep and he wasn't an alien, he was a real person with feelings, just like Teddy.
    Mean to me? Wuuut?

Didn't he kidnap a child in one of the episodes!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I always thought it was a continuation of his bad luck. "how can this day get any worse? I'll probably end up abducted by aliens next"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Mean to me? Wuuut?

Didn't he kidnap a child in one of the episodes!?

From memory I think it more fell into his care by accident rather than it being a kidnapping on his part...

As regards the opening sequence, there's also the idea that it's meant to symbolise the alien abductors couldn't deal with him and "handed him back" in frustration.

Amazing how a simple opening sequence can cause such speculation and debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ontological Epistemologist

smegmar wrote: »
    A friend and I were recently talking about our old childhood memories. We mentioned many TV series that shaped our childhood and eventually we came to Mister Bean. The following conversation took place.

Me: "Yea, it's still funny to this day"
    He: "True, I'll have my kids watch it"
    Me: "It's a shame they had to finish the series, he never got home"
    He: "O_o"
    Me: "....yea he was an Alien trying to get home"
    He: "eh...Are we talking about the same series?"
    Me: "Yeah, I thought everyone knew that, go see the intro credits again, he falls out of a spaceship and is trying to get back, that's why he's so weird."

The Discussion went on but I always thought it was the unmentioned subtext to the whole series. So did anyone else think the same.....

Here's the intro so you can see again and get nastalgic for a while.

Inb4 "You're an Alien"

He is alien to us given our expectations of normality, he represents the child within us, for he cannot talk, his mimes and mumblings represent a child like trance where we abandon the use of language and express ourselves on a communicative level through our external displays of subconscious anxieties, and yet manages to mock our adult pretences such as that as the belief that we are more mature and developed than our inner child.

Mr. Bean is alien to us as he represents through his actions, what we have lost through the sands of time in our self-assured belief that we have matured, yet desire a return to a child like state of innocence.

• Advertisement

Niles wrote: »
    From memory I think it more fell into his care by accident rather than it being a kidnapping on his part...

As regards the opening sequence, there's also the idea that it's meant to symbolise the alien abductors couldn't deal with him and "handed him back" in frustration.

Amazing how a simple opening sequence can cause such speculation and debate.
    Yea you might be right about that actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

He is alien to us given our expectations of normality, he represents the child within us, for he cannot talk, his mimes and mumblings represent a child like trance where we abandon the use of language and express ourselves on a communicative level through our external displays of subconscious anxieties, and yet manages to mock our adult pretences such as that as the belief that we are more mature and developed than our inner child.

Mr. Bean is alien to us as he represents through his actions, what we have lost through the sands of time in our self-assured belief that we have matured, yet desire a return to a child like state of innocence.
    I ate my inner child.

Since when did alien = thick twat?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Since when did alien = thick twat?
    Since he fell out of a light shining from the sky I guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Mind blown....

• Advertisement

Since he fell out of a light shining from the sky I guess :D

Spielberg's Close Encounters would have had an 18 cert after the spokesman for mankind said "welcome, you thick twats."

Spielberg's Close Encounters would have had an 18 cert after the spokesman for mankind said "welcome, you thick twats."

Aliens only ever land in America though, that's actually a fact.
    So I guess you are correct, Mr. Bean is just an idiot and not in fact an illegal alien.

I ate my inner child.

I ate Mr. Bean because he is a bean.

A has-bean?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

That's just silly.

This ****e hasn't Bean on in years???
    thread needs moooarrrr pun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Rowan Atkinson had a strange career progression.

Clever sketches -> very clever historical sitcom -> OMG MR BEAN!!!! -> bit parts in British romcoms

This ****e hasn't Bean on in years???
    thread needs moooarrrr pun.

Didn't he do a runner?

Didn't he do a runner?
    :D:D

That's just silly.

Where is your sense of humour?

• Advertisement