Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Online phone Number for a business?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Would you consider using a Skype (or other provider) Online Number for a business?

The reason I ask is that i'd like to start my own business but
    - don't plan on making many outbound calls,
    - would need a voicemail service,
    - don't want to give out my own mobile number
    - don't want to buy a dedicated landline.

I suppose i'm presuming that after I register a new business i'll start getting bombarded by other companies that want to sell me stuff. Happened to someone else I knew.

Has anyone done something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sirreally

Yes. Looks way better than advertising a mobile, is much cheaper than getting an actual landline, takes voicemails, forwards calls to mobiles if necessary.

As for getting bombarded by telemarketers, there's no reason why this should happen, unless you advertise the number extensively or voluntarily add it to a business directory. I have advertised a Skype number for more than 2 years and have received maybe 3 telemarketing calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MyAmber.net

Yes, I would recommend the Skype local number. Had it for some time and never complained. Some advantages:
    - you can use SkypeOut (or In, I'm not sure) to forward the call, so if there is nobody in the office it will call your mobile
    - you can take the number when moving office - I had a problem with UPC, when relocated they switched my broadband, but couldn't switch the landline and I lost the number. That's why I changed to Skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Some considerations to make about ignoring PSTN lines (as we have for a busy gym in Cork)

- Most MONITORED alarm systems work via land line. If you don't have a landline then MONITORING normally falls back to GSM units (one off cost of about 400 a pop) then the cost of your SIM card to ensure credit in the card to send you alarm alerts etc. If you don't need monitoring on your alarm this this doesn't matter a jot.

- Credit Card terminal must of course be the ethernet type and not the land line type.

- If your broadband dies so does your phone, so you might want to consider using a mobile dongle on your PC/laptop in case of emergency.

- Not sure if a Skype number can be ported. Lets say in a years time you want to make the move to landline but keep your business number. Can you port a Skype number over to Eircom/Imagine etc? Check this!

- When out and about, if you have a smartphone, you can use the mobile broadband to receive calls to that "local" number. But have you considered what happens in a non wireless/3g area? If your skype number gets busy will the cost of your mobile data plan exceed the costs of your landline?

I wouldn't let the above put you off going with a web based phone system as we are very happy with ours. But you shouldn't ignore the above all the same.

Advertisement