Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Keyboard 3G question

Options
  • 28-11-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

One technical question before I buy: Is free web browsing available via 3G (not wi-fi) on the version available in the shops here? (€195 in Tesco)

If I look at the product on amazon.CO.UK I read: "Experimental web browsing is free to use over 3G or Wi-Fi" link Seems 100% clear. But I can't purchase there unless I'm in the UK, so I'm told to buy at amazon.COM.

But if I look at the product on amazon.COM, the the same place on the page, I read: "Experimental web browsing is free." (as opposed to "Experimental web browsing is free to use over 3G or Wi-Fi") link Not so 100% clear :mad:

Whether I can use the browser free over 3G is a make-or-break for me,and I'd appreciate a definitive answer in time for my Santa letter! Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I was looking at the same thing earlier, they have links to the manuals which is a good place to check. It says that whispershare needs to be on to use the web browser but I couldn't see if that means 3G or wi-fi or either.

If you do get free internet that's a major selling point for the 3G model alright, almost seems too good to be true.

Edit: Looks like the answer is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056434747&page=7

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

Thanks Ricky. What's not quite 100% clear is whether Sparrow is using the same machine available in the shops here, so I've asked her/him there. Last thing I want is for Santy to bring me this, and I find it won't do that one thing I really need...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

:cool:
    renga wrote: »
    Thanks Ricky. What's not quite 100% clear is whether Sparrow is using the same machine available in the shops here, so I've asked her/him there. Last thing I want is for Santy to bring me this, and I find it won't do that one thing I really need...

I'd also be interested in knowing this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

if you are buying a kindle for web browsing then you are buying the wrong product im afraid. using the web on it is only good for downloading books off of amazon.

sea_monkey wrote: »
    if you are buying a kindle for web browsing then you are buying the wrong product im afraid. using the web on it is only good for downloading books off of amazon.
    Thanks, sea monkey. I'm aware of the limitations of the web browser but the question is still crucial for me. Do you know the answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Do you know the answer?

I do :)
    YES it works fine browsing on 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Lads I just saw this and answered in the original thread as I have that bookmarked so it is easier for me to follow if you have any additional questions. Answer was:
    Sure. Yes I used the browser via 3G in those countries and it was a Kindle Keyboard that was bought from Amazon UK and delivered to my sister in the UK as opposed to purchased here.

But if the Kindle Keyboard has 3G, I can't imagine that it matters whether it was bought here or from Amazon UK.

I do :)
    YES it works fine browsing on 3G.
    Thank you Zimmer and Sparrow. Sorry to labour the point, Zimmer, but did you buy your Kindle here? I note Sparrow's musing "if the Kindle Keyboard has 3G, I can't imagine that it matters whether it was bought here or from Amazon UK", yet OTOH note the difference in the product descriptions on the between the CO.UK and COM sites. What I really want to hear is someone say, "I bought the thing in Ireland and the browser works with the free 3G" :)

Zimmerframe, I just saw your post on the other thread. Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Yep I think you need have no worries re. the 3G, it seems Amazon must have done a deal with most of the major networks, because I remember it's possible to force the Kindle to change networks e.g. from O2 to Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

Thank you Zimmer and Sparrow. Sorry to labour the point, Zimmer, but did you buy your Kindle here? I note Sparrow's musing "if the Kindle Keyboard has 3G, I can't imagine that it matters whether it was bought here or from Amazon UK", yet OTOH note the difference in the product descriptions on the between the CO.UK and COM sites. What I really want to hear is someone say, "I bought the thing in Ireland and the browser works with the free 3G" :)

Yes the browser works with the free 3G here on the Kindle Keyboard which I bought in Dublin Airport and it worked in France as well.

Ettna wrote: »
    Yes the browser works with the free 3G here on the Kindle Keyboard which I bought in Dublin Airport and it worked in France as well.
    Many thanks, Ettna. Just what I wanted to hear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I got a 3G Kindle for Christmas : ))))

I removed all credit card information etc from my Kindle account and the ''experimental'' web browser can apparently still get me google and wikipedia etc for free. I even could search and load Google images although it's in black and white.

Can I be absolutely sure that the person who bought me the kindle is not being charged for any internet I use on their credit card ? It really does seem too good to be true. Will it also be free (provided it works) while abroad ? Free internet no matter how basic would be really handy to have.

I am wondering now at the possibilities of somehow channeling the free internet connection to a netbook and using it kind of like a portal or a router to watch flash or videos etc but I guess they must have tied that down really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

psychward wrote: »
    Will it also be free (provided it works) while abroad ? Free internet no matter how basic would be really handy to have.

Yes, it's free in loads of countries as far as I can tell. I'm currently working in the Republic of Georgia, and 3G works fine (even though last week the map on the Amazon website showed no coverage for some reason). If it works here I'd say it works in a lot of countries. It also works fine in Istanbul airport when I'm going between Ireland and Georgia.

Advertisement