Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnie Mouse Kitchen for 18 month old?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I was thinking of getting my 18 month old daughter the minnie mouse kitchen for Christmas. It states from 3 years up and I was wondering if she might be to young for this?
    Just wondering if anyone would know if it would be suitable for her?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

I'm guessing it says from 3 years up, because it is not suitable for an 18 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bashful

Some kids play with toys that are not for there age group.
    Thanks for your unhelpful comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bashful, if you have a problem with a post, please report it.

I've seen the kitchen in adverts and it looks like it'd be fine for an 18 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Bashful wrote: »
    Some kids play with toys that are not for there age group.
    Thanks for your unhelpful comment.

Out of fairness to soddy1979, toy manufacturers put an age on their toys because of safety concerns. Somethings have small or removable parts that could be choked on.

Having said that, I know some toys go waaaaay over the top with this (we have floating bath toys that are 3+ and they're enormous...can't imagine the throat that could choke on them :rolleyes:).

We got our daughters a play kitchen when the youngest was about 14 months and there wasn't a thing on it that could have hurt her (unless, of course you take into consideration the plastic forks/knives that could've gone in an eye, etc.) Only you know your daughter and can determine if she's "mature" enough to handle whatever risks may be posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

January wrote: »
    Bashful, if you have a problem with a post, please report it.

I've seen the kitchen in adverts and it looks like it'd be fine for an 18 month old.

I'm not inclined to agree with you (and I can't say I have seen the toy), they put these age groups on toys for a reason. If it was suitable for an 18 month old, why would the maker not market it as such. A bigger market = more money for manufacturer. Are you sure there are no features on the toy that could be hazardous to an 18 month old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hi,

I was thinking of getting my 18 month old daughter the minnie mouse kitchen for Christmas. It states from 3 years up and I was wondering if she might be to young for this?
    Just wondering if anyone would know if it would be suitable for her?

Thanks

My daughter is getting one of these for Christmas, she'll be 2 in January. If theres anything small in it when we open it we will put those parts up until shes a little bit older. I just find some of the toys for her ages are too babyish for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

lolli wrote: »
    My daughter is getting one of these for Christmas, she'll be 2 in January. If theres anything small in it when we open it we will put those parts up until shes a little bit older. I just find some of the toys for her ages are too babyish for her.

At last, some sense!

Get a look at it in a shop if possible OP and you'll soon see if there are small parts in it, if she can topple it over, climb on it or catch her finger in it.

Most manufacturers are covering their asses with the age recommendations.

soddy1979 wrote: »
    I'm not inclined to agree with you (and I can't say I have seen the toy), they put these age groups on toys for a reason. If it was suitable for an 18 month old, why would the maker not market it as such. A bigger market = more money for manufacturer. Are you sure there are no features on the toy that could be hazardous to an 18 month old?

You have to use sense too. If there are parts that are too small, you take them away until they are old enough to be played with. My now 20 month old played with my older daughters toy kitchen as soon as she could pull up to stand and she loved it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My advice is buy one of the better quality ones as they get broken so easy. I am not familiar with the one in question but it is worth looking at a lot of them.

The one from IKEA is lovely and it's wooden too so should last ages.

• Advertisement

I'm actually giving my girls kitchen away free... it's the same as this http://www.toys.ie/Pink-Electronic-Kitchen-!103120-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=5203e853-a8aa-40f9-b45c-bab9737dbf46 but there's no accessories with it... if you're anywhere near Dublin you're more than welcome to it.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I agree with lolli I find the toys for her age group are very babyish for her.
    I think I will take January's advise and buy the Kitchen and take any parts out which I think could be harmful to her as I think she will really enjoy playing with it.
    Again thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the offer January but she loves Minnie Mouse so would like to get the Minnie Mouse one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Thanks for the offer January but she loves Minnie Mouse so would like to get the Minnie Mouse one.

My daughter is obsessed with Minnie Mouse also, I'm moving into a new house soon and her bedroom is Minnie Mouse themed. Cant wait to see her face when she sees it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The one from IKEA is lovely and it's wooden too so should last ages.

Santa's bringing that to James so he can open his first bistro. I do hope Santa doesn't drink too many G&Ts before she, sorry he, tries to assemble it Christmas eve!

Seriously... don't do it Christmas Eve... try do it the week or so before and sober... if there's any parts missing or anything, Christmas will be ruined!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Seriously... don't do it Christmas Eve... try do it the week or so before and sober... if there's any parts missing or anything, Christmas will be ruined!

Ha ha, he won't know the difference. I like a challenge me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

My little one who is 3 wanted this kitchen for xmas she saw it in the catalogue for Smyths so we went down to check it out, It is way too small for a 3 yr old! She be stooped even kneeling to be honest. It has to be because of the accessories that they use that age guideline it is not suitable for my 3 yr old....... It is cute though big minnie mouse fans in my house also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Santa's bringing that to James so he can open his first bistro. I do hope Santa doesn't drink too many G&Ts before she, sorry he, tries to assemble it Christmas eve!
    Ah the memories......'Santa' hit the bottle of wine before putting that kitchen together. 'Santa' seriously considered throwing the flipping thing in the fire at some point!

Advertisement