Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to trace my old Social security number

• 28-11-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm moving to the US after Christmas, one of the requirements on the Visa application is for my old social security number from my J1 days, does anyone know the procedure involved in recovering this number, my understanding is that once you are issued a SS number in the US it stays with you for life.

Any advice that may help guide me to the correct department would be appreciated.

Thanks,

P.S I tried calling the US embassy they have a 1580 number that is €2.40 per minute so I'll avoid that if I can help it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Victor_M wrote: »
    P.S I tried calling the US embassy they have a 1580 number that is €2.40 per minute so I'll avoid that if I can help it.
    Maybe ring the usual line? +353 1 668-8777 During Business Hours

Or call into them? http://dublin.usembassy.gov/about-us/contact-us.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

This is a tough one. In order to get a replacement social security card you must prove your immigration status in the US, however in order to gain an immigration status in the US you need your social security card...

Firstly, you should go through every piece of paper, important, scrap, everything that you can find from your J-1 visa. You'll be surprised how many things you may have written it down on, job applications, bank account stuff, you might even have the original letter the Social Security sent out to you with your number on it.

If this doesn't succeed, have a read through this and see if there's anything you can do from there. It does specify the documentation you need, but it seems to be geared more towards people applying for the first time. An application for a replacement along with your Irish documentation technically should be accepted.

If this also doesn't work, a trip/call to the US embassy might be necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Just an update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same position as me.

I'm, in the US on business at the moment, I called into my local social security office yesterday with my passport and they were able to print out my SS number for me there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Being in the US does help a lot for situations like these!

Advertisement