Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Eircom Phonewatch

Options
  • 28-11-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hello there. Hopefully someone can advise. We have a HKC Eircom Alarm that is no longer monitored due to changing ISP provider to UPC. We could have got a GSM monitor with Eircom but to be honest I had so much bother with the Broadband service I just cancelled the total service with them. So my question is this, is it possible to get this alarm monitored by another company that would also provide a GSM for the monitoring. And if so, could anyone recommend a company that is both cost effective and reliable?

Thanks a lot, sorry if this has been asked already!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Any company can take over from Phonewatch. There's a list of installers in a sticky at the top of the forum page.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As fred said any company can connect & monitor your alarm. I would recommend using UPC over a GSM modem. GSM is too easy to jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

dublincelt wrote: »
    Hello there. Hopefully someone can advise. We have a HKC Eircom Alarm that is no longer monitored due to changing ISP provider to UPC. We could have got a GSM monitor with Eircom but to be honest I had so much bother with the Broadband service I just cancelled the total service with them. So my question is this, is it possible to get this alarm monitored by another company that would also provide a GSM for the monitoring. And if so, could anyone recommend a company that is both cost effective and reliable?

Thanks a lot, sorry if this has been asked already!

If using the UPC check the cable to your home is not easily accessible, this would make it more vulnerable than the GSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 legalizblack

Gsm won't have any connection with your broadband + I know for sure that is not easy to jam(the Eircom one). The signal is encrypted and it changes every couple of seconds.I would recommend it

I know for sure that is not easy to jam(the Eircom one). The signal is encrypted and it changes every couple of seconds.I would recommend it

I don't think you know what you are talking about re there GSM.
    If this is what has being told to you to say to unknown customers then it is a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Whats this? Eircom are using a different system of GSM to the rest of the planet.?
    Someone is having you on. GSM can be easily jammed, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

People should be very wary of phonewatch door to door sales people. They would tell the householder anything to get a sale.

I was in a friend of a friend house recently and we got talking about his PW alarm. He told me that PW told him that their control room knew if his phone line was cut and that they would contact him straight away. I went outside and disconnected the line and we set off the alarm, waited for about ten minutes, surprisingly we got no call from PW :) so we decided to ring them and ask them if they received any signals and of course we all know the answer.

The fella who owned the house was in shock and promptly cancelled his monitoring and went with a more reliable, trustworthy, value for money, competent and charming company :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Yucky eircom!! :P using old technology!

People should be very wary of phonewatch door to door sales people. They would tell the householder anything to get a sale.

And that is what he is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Just to resurrect this one as it has in part answered a question I had.

If eircom PW is GSM based I can get a gsm blocker off everyones favorite chinese deal site for 30 quid.

So knowing we can block the signal, and from above stories, eircom (or whoever is doing th PW monitoring) dont respond to a lost signla, are we saying GSM is no more reliable then a regular alarm?

I cant get UPC where I live, so are there any other monitoring solutions for home alarms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

A protected phone line is more secure than GSM . Look for a system using 868mhz two way devices

Just to resurrect this one as it has in part answered a question I had.

If eircom PW is GSM based I can get a gsm blocker off everyones favorite chinese deal site for 30 quid.

So knowing we can block the signal, and from above stories, eircom (or whoever is doing th PW monitoring) dont respond to a lost signla, are we saying GSM is no more reliable then a regular alarm?

I cant get UPC where I live, so are there any other monitoring solutions for home alarms?

You could have either a GSM that polls to the monitoring station or else a radio to monitor the alarm system.
    Both would be better than a GSM that can be blocked without the monitoring station knowing about it.

Advertisement