Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire call out charges in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I think there should be a charge alright but if the usual waivers are thrown in the mix then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Sorry if this was already addressed in the thread but does this include ambulance call outs? Or is it just for fire crews?

It does apply to Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulances but I'm not sure about HSE Ambulances

A friend of mine lost control of his car during the recent icy patches and was knocked out on impact. DFB Ambulance brought him to A&E. He got a bill for €450+ in the post from the County Council plus his hospital charges.

That'll teach him to be more careful on icy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

It does apply to Dublin Fire Brigade Ambulances but I'm not sure about HSE Ambulances

A friend of mine lost control of his car during the recent icy patches and was knocked out on impact. DFB Ambulance brought him to A&E. He got a bill for €450+ in the post from the County Council plus his hospital charges.

That'll teach him to be more careful on icy roads.

How dare he lose control of his car on ice! /sarcasm

Hope your friend is okay

I only heard about all this for the first time today. I heard it was coming into affect on Monday. Can't believe I haven't heard of this before. My aul one said it to me earlier, she heard it on Joe Duffy this morning.
    I work as an EMT full time, providing event medical cover, and the amount of time people request ambulances when there is no need for one is phenomenal. I see why they want to bring in charges but I think it's bad for those who truly do need ambulance/fire crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.householdcharge.ie/

These services are essential to your community. They include: fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets; planning and development; public parks; street lighting; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities. These facilities benefit everyone.

so why the call out charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

These services are essential to your community. They include: fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets; planning and development; public parks; street lighting; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities. These facilities benefit everyone.

Because the household charge is not going towards any of those things listed on their website.
    It's all lies.
    Shur out here in the country where I am (west of Ireland) we don't even have maintenance and cleaning of streets as we have none, public parks.... none, .... street lighting..... none, open spaces... yes, but they belong to the farmers.
    We still pay a fire tender call out charge.
    Lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

hardCopy wrote: »
    How do they determine who is liable for call-out charges.

If someone calls in a prank call with my address, am I liable? How does this work in other counties where this is already charged.

Hi - I'd be interested in an answer to this question also.

As noted earlier in the thread, prank calls should, in theory, be first to be charged for. However, in reality, they are the ones which will be virtually impossible to collect, due to the difficulty establishing who is responsible. The police will certainly not want to get involved in this.

The victim of a prank call should definitely not be sent a bill for the call-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Estimated income from Household Charge €150,000,000

2010 Budgeted Current Expenditure and Income of Local Authorities by Authority Type €4,655,689,575

So, the Household Charge will cover perhaps 3.2% of local authority expenditure in a year, give or take until the 12 January. Where do you suggest the rest of the money comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    So, the Household Charge will cover perhaps 3.2% of local authority expenditure in a year, give or take until the 12 January. Where do you suggest the rest of the money comes from?

1. Central government via taxes
    2. Business rates and rent
    3. Amalgamating the stupid number of LA into 4 provincial ones and getting rid of all the senseless duplication and waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Victor wrote: »
    Estimated income from Household Charge €150,000,000

2010 Budgeted Current Expenditure and Income of Local Authorities by Authority Type €4,655,689,575

i not questioning that im favour of reforming the funding for local authorities (alhtough what are income tax is for ?), i just want to be clear on what its for.

so firebrigade funding... household charge or call outs charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

hasn't there always been a call out charge of some sorts? Almost certain a friend of mine said it was on an insurance claim he made on his house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Other councils already have such charges. Dublin was pretty much the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

May have been SDCC (he's borderline...)

Advertisement