Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy Day Care

• 28-11-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

I have Lexi booked into a new doggy daycare tomorrow just for the day. They don't require any assessment, will take any dog in as long as they are vaccinated ant neutered. Am a bit wary as if there is any fights there I am afraid Lexi will get the blame if she hurts a smaller dog as she is a strong dog on the RB list.

By the way she is in no way agressive but you don't know how she'd react if a dog was annoying her or does attack her.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

Have you checked their qualifications TG. It would be a must for me that at least the supervising staff had a behaviour qualification. With the right qualifications, they should be able to:

Recognise the signs of and prevent any potential fights

Know how to handle a fight if it did take place

Have the sense not to blame your dog just because she is on the RB list.

Hope all went well.

BW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's probably the one I use - if so, the first day is really the assessment, they don't allow dog aggressives. I was really nervous the first day cos you never know what might happen, but it was fine. The staff are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

where is that new doggie day care /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Just seen this post & had to reply. We have had our Collie X, Archie in Dog Training Ireland since he was about 3 months (he's now ~ 9mths), and I really cant praise them enough. Archie is mad as a hatter, so full of energy but he's never been a problem for them. I really cant say enough about them!

PS. I dont work or have any connection to them, just a big fan :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Have you checked their qualifications TG.

According to their website they are dog trainers aswell as having qualifications in pet nutrition and grooming.
    planetX wrote: »
    It's probably the one I use

Could you please PM me the name just to make sure?
    falabo wrote: »
    where is that new doggie day care /

Its in Galway
    snollup wrote: »
    We have had our Collie X, Archie in Dog Training Ireland since he was about 3 months (he's now ~ 9mths), and I really cant praise them enough.

Its not DTI, I have heard great things about them though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Try not to worry too much!! :) If they know what they're doing they'll be keeping an eye out to make sure she's ok. They'll be able to read body language and will know if anything is going to happen. They'll probably keep the smaller dogs/pups separate from the big dogs too btw.
    The first day I left my guy up to DTI - he was a very shy 7 month old and when I went online later there he was on youtube all afriad - I felt so guilty and wanted to go and get him:pac: After a few trips he loved it though!! I took him up to get a new harness on friday and he was so happy to see the trainers lol - he's been cooped up on crate rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

tk123 wrote: »
    Try not to worry too much!! :) If they know what they're doing they'll be keeping an eye out to make sure she's ok. They'll be able to read body language and will know if anything is going to happen. They'll probably keep the smaller dogs/pups separate from the big dogs too btw.

The opposite, the one I use makes a point of mixing small and large. It's great to socialize with such a variety.

planetX wrote: »
    The opposite, the one I use makes a point of mixing small and large. It's great to socialize with such a variety.

I think there can be safety/crushing aspect when there's 50+ dogs running amok? So funny thou when you have a big dog playing gently with a dog the size of it's head and the little teeth snapping but all for fun. My guy was afriad of small dogs until he went to daycare - then he got brave and decided to try and make friends with all of the smaller dogs in our park like he did at daycare..sadly 90% of them are unsocailized/non-playing dogs so it didn't go to well for him! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

we use dog training ireland day care sometimes for bruno. It is the best 10 euro you can spend for your dog. Bruno went in so rough towards other dogs but play rough not aggressive rough. first day he came out he was so gentle with other dogs i was shocked to say the least.

would recommend it to anyone :D and bruno will be going back maybe once or twice every 2 weeks. he loves it, i literally had to carry him out of the place to the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I heard mixed reports about this place. My dog had a great time first day but on repeat it was horrific experience. My dog was returned to me with garbled mixed stories that I could never get to the bottom of, a hostile owner refusing to discuss and sores on her face. Have subsequently also met over people with similar bad stories.
    Was very unimpressed by the place asking for a list if commands my dog had been trained & then posting her wih a so called trainer TShirt logo wearing person " demonstrating" them on YouTube as thou they had trained her.
    Stay well clear of the place. Some people love it but as another poster has rightly said, fifty dogs running amuck is a potential recipy for disaster. An I have randomly met what seems like quite a few.
    And doing a basic handling course that's at junior cert level really isn't much of a comfort when your dog is damaged and they can't explain why .

• Advertisement

I heard mixed reports about this place.

Uh Oh I have just dropped her off. Nothing I can do now will have to wait and see. Oh and Chris its €15/day!

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Uh Oh I have just dropped her off. Nothing I can do now will have to wait and see. Oh and Chris its €15/day!

Don't cry lol - she'll be fine!! :D (It's €10 for puppies in some places)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I heard mixed reports about this place. My dog had a great time first day but on repeat it was horrific experience. My dog was returned to me with garbled mixed stories that I could never get to the bottom of, a hostile owner refusing to discuss and sores on her face. Have subsequently also met over people with similar bad stories.
    Was very unimpressed by the place asking for a list if commands my dog had been trained & then posting her wih a so called trainer TShirt logo wearing person " demonstrating" them on YouTube as thou they had trained her.
    Stay well clear of the place. Some people love it but as another poster has rightly said, fifty dogs running amuck is a potential recipy for disaster. An I have randomly met what seems like quite a few.
    And doing a basic handling course that's at junior cert level really isn't much of a comfort when your dog is damaged and they can't explain why .

50 dogs loose together?How many staff do they have to supervise that amount?God if a fight broke out it would be absolutely mental :(.I think its really iportant that you feel happy leaving your beloved dog/s.You dont want to spend all day every day in work worrying yourself sick over them.I think ye also need to trust your gut instinct when you collect them aswell to see if your dog is happy there.Hope your dog is ok :( xxxxxx

I heard mixed reports about this place

The Galway one or DTI?

boxerly wrote: »
    50 dogs loose together?

I called out at lunch time. The man didnt have the forms printed for me this morning and I will be short on time this evening so called out to fill them in. There were 16 dogs signed in today, I counted from the sign in sheet :D

She seems to be having a blast. All the dogs look friendly, tails wagging, all happy looking. There was a lot of barking at times but no signs of aggression.

Only problem I have is the baby gate they have up that Lexi jumped over as soon as see seen me. If she managed to do that while the door was open there would be no catching her.
    The Galway one or DTI?

I have heard great things about DTI so I think ye are safe enough :D actually come to think of it, its you I have heard most things from :p

I called out at lunch time. The man didnt have the forms printed for me this morning and I will be short on time this evening so called out to fill them in. There were 16 dogs signed in today, I counted from the sign in sheet :D

LOL!! Any excuse for you to check up on her!! I thought I was bad!!! :pac:
    I have heard great things about DTI so I think ye are safe enough :D actually come to think of it, its you I have heard most things from :p
    Yeah thats why I asked as I've only ever heard good things? I was accused of working for them and shilling on boards months ago cos I always recommend them lol :pac::pac:

I actually saw our friends driving up to daycare this morning - they watch the weather forecast and if they think it's going to rain they bring the dog up lol! :rolleyes::D

I needed to know she was safe :D (overprotective mother alert!)

Well TillyGirl?? How was Lexi after her first day of school?? :)

Well TillyGirl?? How was Lexi after her first day of school?? :)

:D good i think. I was able to watch her before she spotted me and she was in great form. Having a great time with a little JRT who belongs to our vet so they had a great time catching up!

:D good i think. I was able to watch her before she spotted me and she was in great form. Having a great time with a little JRT who belongs to our vet so they had a great time catching up!

great to hear lexi had a good time :D

• Advertisement

She was wrecked..was snoring the whole way home :D

She was wrecked..was snoring the whole way home :D

same with bruno, great way to tire them out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

Maybe you should suggest to your daycare centres that they install a webcam with live feed. this is pretty standard practice in daycares in the USA.
    That way, you can check on how your dog is getting on during the day.
    it takes the guesswork out of the equation and allows the owner( who is paying for this daycare service afterall) valuable insight into how your dog's social skills are being honed. I personally think it should be mandatory.

Maybe you should suggest to your daycare centres that they install a webcam with live feed. this is pretty standard practice in daycares in the USA.
    it takes the guesswork out of the equation and allows the owner( who is paying for this daycare service afterall) valuable insight into how your dog's social skills are being honed. I personally think it should be mandatory.

I'd be fired for looking at it all day!! :pac::pac::pac:

thats a great idea

Advertisement