Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Trees 2011

Options
  • 28-11-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

Well, its that time of year again! Nearly time to put up the tree!

So, where is the best place to get a real one? Where will be / are selling them?

I want to get one legally, before someone suggests stealing one!

We should use this thread for the best value trees around, and where has the best quality too.

christmas+tree.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I went artificial last year.

Previous years I bought from Coillte at their depots (racecourse & knocknacarra) but they went from 30euro to 40 euro to 60 euro over a 3 year period for a large tree.

That was too much. These increases don't surprise me when I learnt recently that their Chief Executive is on 297,000 Euro plus bonus!

While I like to buy Irish, they are taking the mickey bigtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I recommend Coillte (racecourse & knocknacarra) at least you know that you are paying for a "legal" tree an not one that some Muppet* has cut down himself from a state or private forest an brought into town in the back of a van, expect to see a lot of that this year. Coule usually hand out some saplings also if you get there early in December, I have one or two growing from each of the last 3 years, nice to think that I am growing replavements for the trees taht I use each Christmas :-)

* (Not to criticize Muppets, quite like the funny furry guys)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

dilallio wrote: »
    Previous years I bought from Coillte at their depots (racecourse & knocknacarra) but they went from 30euro to 40 euro to 60 euro over a 3 year period for a large tree.

That was too much. These increases don't surprise me when I learnt recently that their Chief Executive is on 297,000 Euro plus bonus!

While I like to buy Irish, they are taking the mickey bigtime.

I agree, always used to buy from Coillte but I think their prices are OUTRAGEOUS now.

I normally get my tree at woodies. There's normally a "sale" on so that you get them wtih about 10-20% off which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Usually buy from Coillte also. It's been approx €50 for the past few years, which is pushing it!; but it's a tradition at this stage. Plus, you would be doing well to get such a rich smell of Christmas trees anywhere else in the city.

Just drove passed the Knocknacarra depot about 20 mins ago, and no movement as of yet. I'd say on Thurs/Fri (this week) they should be here.

Toy Show; Friday!, Christmas Tree; Saturday!.

Doing my best to keep calm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Last update from Coillte:

http://www.coillte.ie/aboutcoillte/news/article/view/christmas-tree-depots-coming-soon/

They say to check here for latest news too:

http://twitter.com/#!/coilltenews

Gona try get it up (the tree that is :cool:) on Friday before the Toy Show...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 suben

Ordered a 7ft one from christmastreedublin.com for 50e and a stand for 10e - seem reasonably priced and free delivery. looked at milltown ones, they had a "recession buster" decorated tree for 200e what a JOKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

suben wrote: »
    Ordered a 7ft one from christmastreedublin.com for 50e and a stand for 10e - seem reasonably priced and free delivery.
    I don't think I could pay for a tree without inspecting every branch on it first. I think that's part of the fun of getting a tree, is having a good 'ol root and engaging in the social panic that comes with real tree selection.

Don't lie, you know only too well the sense of anxiety as you see others pulling out trees for inspection and you start thinking to yourself "bastards!, where the feck did they find that one". The tension as you wait for someone in their congregation to insist that it is "too big" before you swoop in nodding your head, calmly relieving them of the prize & start frantically waving cash at the proprietors, securing your rank as the mysterious local champion.

Then carrying it out to the boot of the car, smugly taking pity on those that are just on their way in with a look on your face that says nothing short of: "Oh I'm sorry, you're too late, I have it here on my shoulder.....muhahahahahahaaaa....*cough*".

All before finally getting it home and realizing that Yes! maybe it was too big, as the three piece suite in your living room becomes two, but insisting with confidence that guests will no doubt appreciate Die Hard from the comfort of nature itself.

*ahem*, I probably take this too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Coillte trees are going on sale tommorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

Anyone pick up a tree from either of the Coillte depots yet?

Any more info on the auld tree's??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

well lads and lassies, im strongly considering a real xmas tree this year, 5ft-6ft tree or so would be fine...where and how much would one of them cost????

not long in galway so dont know where to get them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

LillySV wrote: »
    well lads and lassies, im strongly considering a real xmas tree this year, 5ft-6ft tree or so would be fine...where and how much would one of them cost????

not long in galway so dont know where to get them...

Coillte

Millars Hall (at the red cross on the map (ie) behind Pureskill)
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,526630,725128,7,10

Don't know the prices tho

Was at Coillte Knocknacarra today, lots of trees but the were all odd shapes and a bit deformed!

Went to Coillte at the Racecourse then and they had much better ones.

Picked up a 8ft tree for €45, they were charging €35 for a tree stand , Ridiculous! Picked up the same stand in Woodies for €9.99!

jenno86 wrote: »
    Was at Coillte Knocknacarra today, lots of trees but the were all odd shapes and a bit deformed!

Went to Coillte at the Racecourse then and they had much better ones.

Picked up a 8ft tree for €45, they were charging €35 for a tree stand , Ridiculous! Picked up the same stand in Woodies for €9.99!

how much is a 6ft tree do ya know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In woodies anyway, 6ft is 36 and 8ft is 42...

LillySV wrote: »
    how much is a 6ft tree do ya know??

€35/40 i think im not sure tho.

The Coillte trees are much better in my opinion. They are fuller.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭39steps

B&Q are selling small trees, 2 - 3 ft for 22.99; they will cut one to your size and bag it for you - spotted them this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

39steps, moved your post from last years thread to this years.

bloody hell, thats expensive enough...i think ill have to take a drive so;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement