Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tis another Christmas Cake question!!

Options
  • 28-11-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I was going to make a particular Christmas Cake (Kylemore Abbey cookbook) but it never specified whether the tin I'm to use is supposed to be round or square. It says this: 25cm/10 inch tin/pan. Those are the exact words, so I assumed a square 10 inch pan. Anyway, my sister now thinks it is supposed to be a round tin, and that I would need a 9 inch round tin instead!

What do I do? Will I do 1.5 times the recipe and remove whatever excess I have? Or maybe 1.2 times the recipe!

HELP!!!!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I would assume it's round, most cakes in general (and Christmas cakes) are round as the default setting, and as it gives one measurement I would take that to be the diameter of a round tin...maybe google another recipe that has similar quantities and see if it says what shape tin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JellyBeans123

Thank you for your reply:)

Would it make a major difference if I made it in a square 10 inch cake tin?:(

Yeah, if it's for a round one it would make a huge difference, it'll be much flatter, as square tins take a much bigger volume and Christmas cakes don't rise. If you had a 9 inch square that would be closer in volume to a 10 inch round.

Acoshla wrote: »
    Yeah, if it's for a round one it would make a huge difference, it'll be much flatter, as square tins take a much bigger volume and Christmas cakes don't rise. If you had a 9 inch square that would be closer in volume to a 10 inch round.

Oh no!!!:( what if I multiply the recipe by 1.5 times?!?

Here's the basic recipe:

450g plain flour
    340g butter
    6 eggs
    1.4 kg fruit mix
    110g cut peel
    110g glacé cherries
    110g ground almonds
    110g chopped almonds
    340g brown sugar
    4 tbsp brandy

I think that's it!:( I'm writing this from memory!

• Advertisement

That looks like very little fruit, like a light fruit cake. Multiply it to be on the safe side, if you have some leftover bake it in a smaller tin and have it for yourself :) Even a baked bean tin.

That looks like very little fruit, like a light fruit cake. Multiply it to be on the safe side, if you have some leftover bake it in a smaller tin and have it for yourself :) Even a baked bean tin.

So multiply by 1.5 times then?:) Gosh, I'm so worried!!! Thank you for your help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GAAFan123

I don't agree with that. y recipe was very big and contained the same amount of fruit. I think that looks perfect.

Ok actually you're right, I make much larger quantities of Christmas cakes so it sounded like not a lot.

Ok actually you're right, I make much larger quantities of Christmas cakes so it sounded like not a lot.

Well, what if I multiplied the recipe by 1.5 times just to be on the safe side? That wouldn't ruin the cake-increasing the amount, would it?:(

• Advertisement

Yep.

Yep.

It would ruin the cake?:(:(:(

Yes. Just follow the recipe.

GAAFan123 wrote: »
    Yes. Just follow the recipe.

Would you ever get outta my thread!!

I'm older and wiser than you child.

No, sure I answered that before you said about ruining the cake, and how would it ruin it, you're just making a bigger version of the same cake, like any 12 inch cake is a multiple of a smaller recipe.

And GAAFan I'm not too sure on how wise you are with Christmas related baking matters, what with the fruit soaked in water and all.

No, sure I answered that before you said about ruining the cake, and how would it ruin it, you're just making a bigger version of the same cake, like any 12 inch cake is a multiple of a smaller recipe.

And GAAFan I'm not too sure on how wise you are with Christmas related baking matters, what with the fruit soaked in water and all.

I know the OP personally, one. Two, everyone makes mistakes. Three, the fruit actually turned out really well. Four, it's pretty sad that you would read through my posts to make a jibe at me. Finally, this is a place to talk about cakes. Maybe you should bake one to cheer yourself up before trying to start an argument.

I was actually trying to be funny, wasn't trying to start an argument at all, was just trying to help the OP. And I remembered that post, I wasn't sad enough to go read your old ones, it stuck out in my mind as an odd thing to do to fruit. Maybe I shoulda thrown a smiley in at the end of that sentence so you'd understand it better. Also, how in the name of jaysus would I know you know the OP in real life, I thought you were the one being a bit smart.

Hope your cake works out OP, buh bye!

I was actually trying to be funny, wasn't trying to start an argument at all, was just trying to help the OP. And I remembered that post, I wasn't sad enough to go read your old ones, it stuck out in my mind as an odd thing to do to fruit. Maybe I shoulda thrown a smiley in at the end of that sentence so you'd understand it better. Also, how in the name of jaysus would I know you know the OP in real life, I thought you were the one being a bit smart.

Hope your cake works out OP, buh bye!

Really? Didnt sound like a joke to me. Sounded like you were trying to argue, but I don't tend to participate in arguments with strangers. Nice jibe about the fruit by the way. It turned out very well so I take no offence to your remark.

Anyway, you;re probably having a bad day. Happy baking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

a) no emoticon- seems serious...
    I'm older and wiser than you child.
    b) No emoticon, seems condescending...
    GAAFan123 wrote: »
    Really? Didnt sound like a joke to me. Sounded like you were trying to argue, but I don't tend to participate in arguments with strangers. Nice jibe about the fruit by the way. It turned out very well so I take no offence to your remark.

Anyway, you;re probably having a bad day. Happy baking! :)

c) "arguments with strangers" don't have to happen when you follow boards conventions and remember who has helped you recently here. Acoshla is a regular and valuable contributer particularly in this forum, IMO it's a bit rich to be asking for urgent help one minute and then giving out when others remember the next? Just a thought.;)

So jellybeans, did you end up multiplying it?:)

• Advertisement

Thank you so much to Acoshla-you helped me a lot and I'm very grateful for that:)

I think the recipe will be suitable for a 10 inch square after all, but if I'm not happy with it when I put it in the tin, I will quickly remake the recipe, but this time halving it, and then add it to the tin!

Eviledna wrote: »
    a) no emoticon- seems serious...

b) No emoticon, seems condescending...

c) "arguments with strangers" don't have to happen when you follow boards conventions and remember who has helped you recently here. Acoshla is a regular and valuable contributer particularly in this forum, IMO it's a bit rich to be asking for urgent help one minute and then giving out when others remember the next? Just a thought.;)

So jellybeans, did you end up multiplying it?:)

I did not break any "conventions". I am a member of this forum, and just because I haven't been here for years or spend my whole day on it like you seem to, doesn't mean I can't ask questions. I have no idea why a perfect stranger like you would want to argue with me. This thread is about a Christmas cake so show some spirit and stop trying to bring down the mood. Anyway, you're just sticking up for a friend so I understand why you came across as condescending there! :) Happy baking today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@All - Please stay on-topic.

@GAAFan123 - If you continue to be a disruptive influence in this forum I will remove your access.

tHB

Advertisement