Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sacksian wrote: »
    Just saw these photos of the ASICS MetaSpeed Sky.

548094.jpeg

548095.jpeg

Unfortunately, I've barred myself from buying any more runners until I get a new pair of spikes, but looking forward to hearing what these are like.

Hmmmm interesting 2 models a stride one out in 2 days and cadence one out in June

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hmmmm interesting 2 models a stride one out in 2 days and cadence one out in June

Amazing that one of the most anticipated and well reviewed shoes barely causes a ripple on the surface here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Amazing that one of the most anticipated and well reviewed shoes barely causes a ripple on the surface here.

We've no money left.................

We've no money left.................

Wasting it on Swoosh :pac:

I have asics.ie on refresh from midnight. Luckily I know I'm a stride runner and don't need to wait until June for the cadence version.

Wasting it on Swoosh :pac:

I have asics.ie on refresh from midnight. Luckily I know I'm a stride runner and don't need to wait until June for the cadence version.

So it's essentially the Asics answer to Next%, adios pro, endorphin pro etc etc?
    How can you tell if you're a cadence or stride runner? And how much??

• Advertisement

So it's essentially the Asics answer to Next%, adios pro, endorphin pro etc etc?
    How can you tell if you're a cadence or stride runner? And how much??

It's €250. From reviews it's a proper quality shoe, right up there with the best of the plated racers.

As for the cadence or stride runner...in my case its thanks to Garmin and it's HRM chest strap. It gives cadence and stride length figures. When I run faster my cadence doesn't increase a lot relative to the increase in stride length. I ran with someone last week whose cadence increased a lot but stride length didn't as we upped the pace. They will have to wait until June :pac:

Trigger pulled :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I think Sarah Hall wore them or a prototype of them for London?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

It's €250. From reviews it's a proper quality shoe, right up there with the best of the plated racers.

As for the cadence or stride runner...in my case its thanks to Garmin and it's HRM chest strap. It gives cadence and stride length figures. When I run faster my cadence doesn't increase a lot relative to the increase in stride length. I ran with someone last week whose cadence increased a lot but stride length didn't as we upped the pace. They will have to wait until June :pac:
    What's the advice if you increase both when running faster ?

MY BAD wrote: »
    I think Sarah Hall wore them or a prototype of them for London?

Yes she did...over 2 marathons she brought her PB down by 4 minutes I think...

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »

There is a bit in the introduction here. It is worth keeping in mind that the tests were all done with elite athletes.

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/2021/03/asics-metaspeed-sky-multi-tester-review.html?m=1

There is a bit in the introduction here. It is worth keeping in mind that the tests were all done with elite athletes.

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/2021/03/asics-metaspeed-sky-multi-tester-review.html?m=1

Are they not over complicating it a bit. Isn't it just going to lead to people being confused as to what one they need/want. My first thought when you said that last night was - which one am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Are they not over complicating it a bit. Isn't it just going to lead to people being confused as to what one they need/want. My first thought when you said that last night was - which one am I?

Yeah I thought the same, really don’t see the need for it.
    €250 for the Asics ,I’d prefer to stay with the Next% than take a chance on these tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hey, how's it going?

I'm no expert but based on your requirements and budget, lots of people swear by the following as daily trainers (running speak for solid, reliable mile-munchers that won't feel particularly fast but will allow you to rack up the miles):

Nike Pegasus
    Nike React Infinity's
    Nike Zoom Invincible's
    Adidas Ultraboost
    Adidas SL20's
    New Balance 1080's
    Brooks Glycerin
    Hoka One One Mach 4
    Asics Gel Kayano
    Asics Novablast
    Asics GT2000
    Mizuno Wave Rider

There are probably loads of others I can't remember! For your budget, you should be able to find pretty much any of the above on sale somewhere (possibly with the exception of the Invincible's and the new Ultraboost) but what works for you might be dreadful to another, so a bit of experimentation might be needed.

I'd also just note on your weekly mileage - ramp up gently. It might be that the aches and pains you are talking about are due to increasing mileage a shade too much or not allowing adequate recovery. I've had similar niggles before, generally as a result of ramping up mileage too quickly.

For what I'd recommend: I'm a 95kg runner who does around 30km/week at roughly 5min/km pace. I adore the original Nike React Infinity's.

Brilliant post! I just ordered Adidas Ultra boost 20. Got 35% off thanks to a revolut code :)

FinnC wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the same, really don’t see the need for it.
    €250 for the Asics ,I’d prefer to stay with the Next% than take a chance on these tbh.

Yes, I guess you could say that it complicates matters. At the same time if there is a way of getting a shoe more optimised to ones running style maybe it's worth the effort of finding out. In truth it probably makes little or no difference at my level nor did it influence my decision to buy them. I bought them because the time had come to jump into the plated shoe market. I am onto my second pair of both the Evoride and Glideride which both share the Guidesole technology and 5mm drop as the Metaspeed. The reviews are excellent, I love the colour and it's not Nike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

dna_leri wrote: »

In general your stride will lengthen as you run faster anyway. For some by more.

Easy enough to get the idea from Garmin Connect (from Garmin HRM). For reference I'm 1.81cm tall.

Example
    I went over GC for a few types of runs

Long Run 23k
    In Adidas Boston 7 - 1.32m stride - 165 cadence
    In Saucony Speeds - 1:40m stride - 168 cadence

Easy Runs 10-15k
    Various shoes - 1.20m stride - 162 cadence

Tempo - longer reps 800m -5k
    Adizero 4, Speeds - 1.55-1.6m stride - 178 cadence

These are all approx averages. I clearly have a low cadence to start. Even on strides I barely get to 190.

Easy to long run
    Approx +0.16m stride (+13%) vs +7 cadence (4%)

Easy to Tempo/Reps
    Approx +0.35m stride (+30%) vs +16 cadence (10%)

Long run to Tempo/Reps
    Approx +0.2m stride (+15%) vs +10 cadence (6%)

Summary, stride length increases proportionally 3 times more than cadence. It would seem I fall into the "stride" category

Also it was noticeable, looking at the data, that the Saucony Endorphin Speeds gave me a slightly longer stride than the Bostons for similar effort and cadence over the same route. I've yet to try other carbon plate shoes over the same route, but very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm running about 4 years averaging a small 10km a week around my cycling ...

Until last year and half I've probably bought 50 to 60 euro runners mainly from Nike outlet centre but due to niggly injuries pushed boat out and last few runners have been

Brooks adrenaline 19s x2
    And my pair im on now are

Brooks ghost 12s

I feel like I've made way more progress since I upped quality of shoe and in recent 6 months I'm averaging 20km a week ...

I'm 45 years old.....

I'm thinking I should probably have another pair rather than just use pair to death then buy new ones....

I'm looking at comfort over speed ... and stay injury free....

Can anybody recommend a shoe around 100- 120 ....

Thanks ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Brilliant post! I just ordered Adidas Ultra boost 20. Got 35% off thanks to a revolut code :)

Great, they're a lovely shoe for steady, long runs and look good for non-running too!

Yes, I guess you could say that it complicates matters. At the same time if there is a way of getting a shoe more optimised to ones running style maybe it's worth the effort of finding out. In truth it probably makes little or no difference at my level nor did it influence my decision to buy them. I bought them because the time had come to jump into the plated shoe market. I am onto my second pair of both the Evoride and Glideride which both share the Guidesole technology and 5mm drop as the Metaspeed. The reviews are excellent, I love the colour and it's not Nike :pac:

The MagicSpeed look interesting ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yeah I like the look of them & the reviews again are very good. They have the same foam as the Novablasts which I am a fan of. I am definitely a cadence runner so will also keep my eye out for the Meta Speed Edge:D

• Advertisement

They might become my tempo shoe......

........if I believed in such nonsense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Until last year and half I've probably bought 50 to 60 euro runners mainly from Nike outlet centre but due to niggly injuries pushed boat out and last few runners have been

Brooks adrenaline 19s x2

Brooks ghost 12s

I feel like I've made way more progress since I upped quality of shoe and in recent 6 months I'm averaging 20km a week ...

I'm 45 years old.....

I'm thinking I should probably have another pair rather than just use pair to death then buy new ones....

Thanks ��

Your Brooks Adrenaline are fairly focused on stability and durability. The Ghost is a fairly reliable cushion model. Just so you know the different feel are in them.

If you like the Ghost then you can just stick with them. If you are looking to change up there you can check out a heap of reviews on cushion shoes here : https://www.runningshoesguru.com/reviews/all/cushioning-2/

I go through that list while also looking for special offers on them. I don't think I have paid more that 90 Euro for runners in a couple of years.

Some of the others here might be able to help on more specific details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Kander wrote: »
    Your Brooks Adrenaline are fairly focused on stability and durability. The Ghost is a fairly reliable cushion model. Just so you know the different feel are in them.

If you like the Ghost then you can just stick with them. If you are looking to change up there you can check out a heap of reviews on cushion shoes here : https://www.runningshoesguru.com/reviews/all/cushioning-2/

I go through that list while also looking for special offers on them. I don't think I have paid more that 90 Euro for runners in a couple of years.

Some of the others here might be able to help on more specific details

Thanks ... yeh I've always bought mine when on special offer ....I've also emailed them for codes and they always send me a 10% off code. .... it pays to ask.

My adrenaline cost €98 for 1st pair .... €110 2nd pair ...

My ghost 12s were €112

I'll check out that ...thanks again

More advice is also welcome nice people:)

They might become my tempo shoe......

........if I believed in such nonsense :pac:

it's only a matter of time. You're already jumping onboard the carbon plate train. ;)

I was once like you.....full of great notions......I now have the 4%, Next%, Fuelcell TC, Endorphin Pro and Adios Pro.........................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

it's only a matter of time. You're already jumping onboard the carbon plate train. ;)

I was once like you.....full of great notions......I now have the 4%, Next%, Fuelcell TC, Endorphin Pro and Adios Pro.........................:eek:

:eek:

I see a gap in the market for an AA equivalent :p

Excuse my ignorance but so they all have a carbon plate?

Brooks adrenaline 19s x2

Brooks ghost 12s

I'm 45 years old.....

Thanks ��

Comfort you say....,

https://www.365rider.com/en/cushioning-sneakers/8826-asics-glideride-tokyo-running-shoes-black-pink-ss21-4550153686720.html#/size-44_eur

Simply cannot be beaten for comfort! There's a new version out now so there are lots of deals on the original. They were €160

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks ... yeh I've always bought mine when on special offer ....I've also emailed them for codes and they always send me a 10% off code. .... it pays to ask.

My adrenaline cost €98 for 1st pair .... €110 2nd pair ...

My ghost 12s were €112

I'll check out that ...thanks again

More advice is also welcome nice people:)

Reebox Floatride Energy 3.0 is worth considering - €67.50, €72, €80 or €90 depending on the colourway you select.

:pac: I have been ready to jump on onboard the carbon plate train for a long time but wanted to believe I could get back to some level of fitness first.

I actually have an Atreyu carbon plate shoe on the way as well. :eek: What I meant by nonsense is that I don't see the point in wearing anything different for a session. I just add a few seconds to the 'target' pace. There must be some Cavan blood in me somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Question to those who have picked up Carbon shoes...

At what point did you think it would be a benefit to your running? The position I'm in at the moment is that my fitness has me able to run 10km in about 44 min. Would the dynamics and mechanics of the shoes actually work at that pace? Would I need to be going faster to get the best benefits out of it? Say 4 min per/km or faster.

I know people will have gotten them just because they can or that they are very shiney & new and that is fair enough. I'm just looking from a technical point.

• Advertisement

:pac: I have been ready to jump on onboard the carbon plate train for a long time but wanted to believe I could get back to some level of fitness first.

I actually have an Atreyu carbon plate shoe on the way as well. :eek: What I meant by nonsense is that I don't see the point in wearing anything different for a session. I just add a few seconds to the 'target' pace. There must be some Cavan blood in me somewhere!

Recovery! throw on the bog standards and throw on the "decent" shoes and you'll know all about it.
    Confidence a factor too.

Advertisement