Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote: »
    :eek:

I see a gap in the market for an AA equivalent :p

Excuse my ignorance but so they all have a carbon plate?

Missed this. I'm never sure but to my knowledge, in some shape or form they all have a carbon plate. Implemented differenty I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

it's only a matter of time. You're already jumping onboard the carbon plate train. ;)

I was once like you.....full of great notions......I now have the 4%, Next%, Fuelcell TC, Endorphin Pro and Adios Pro.........................:eek:

I think you might have a problem........ No Metaracers?

I think you might have a problem........ No Metaracers?

Out of context it looks bad for sure.. Lol

The fuelcell were reduced to 145.
    The 4% were reduced to 120 - birthday present.
    Endorphin pro were a Christmas present.
    Adidas were from a Boardsies who didn't like the feel of them.
    Next% were reduced to 220 - birthday present..

At this stage my wife doesn't even ask what I want for my birthday, Christmas etc. It's runners.....

If you want to see an impressive collection take a look at Beepbeep from these parts!

As for the metaracer I haven't seen a decent deal on them and for 200 I'm not sure what they'd give me over what I have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Trigger pulled :-))

I went ahead and bought a pair as well. Reviews look great and will be interested to see if they work for stride runners which, thanks to shotgun, I am. My first foray outside of Nike in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I haven’t had a pair of ASICS since 2008 and they gave me a blister within 5km from the sewn logo on the side. Swore I would never wear them again

Then I saw those and thought, wowsers, they are a nice looking show.

However, the 5mm drop is a little too low for my Achilles so I’ve had a lucky escape from the wrath of herself. No new shoes landing this week.... so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Slideways wrote: »
    I haven’t had a pair of ASICS since 2008 and they gave me a blister within 5km from the sewn logo on the side. Swore I would never wear them again

However, the 5mm drop is a little too low for my Achilles so I’ve had a lucky escape from the wrath of herself. No new shoes landing this week.... so far

The Metaspeed Edge will have an 8mm drop if that helps, due to be released early June. The other differences are that the Sky version has a thicker sole for better cushioning as runners increase their stride length & the Sky has a sharper curvature at the forefront enabling runners to push off further with each stride.

I was just joking that your problem is the lack of the asics rather than having all the others!

On the fuelcell tc, I got those as well.
    I have tried them now a few times and I like them but they annoy me a bit too, I find debris is getting into the shoes when I'm running (I guess through the mesh material?) and the tongue is a bit of a faff, also seems to slide down on me no matter how hard I lace the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ordered Zoom Flys this morning....my first foray into the carbon plate world :cool:

Not necessarily wanting to become a Nike obsessive, but I had a birthday discount and my job has this reward system that can be exchanged into One4All vouchers, corporate items etc. and as of a couple of months ago...Nike vouchers :D

So tldr...the Zoom Flys effectively cost me €19. Also got a pair of snazzy ACG trail shoes for the various impending staycations.

Currently have two pairs of Pegasus 36 and NB 1080 in my regular run rotation and NB 1400 for speed sessions, TTs etc.

Also have 2 pairs of boxfresh Pegasus 37 that I’m wearing casually atm...might keep one of them as “normal” trainers I reckon. Next purchase will likely be another pair of 1080s...possibly my favourite shoe right now but very hard to get anywhere for less than full price (~€160-170)

Slideways wrote: »

Try the novablast they are great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Ordered Zoom Flys this morning....my first foray into the carbon plate world :cool:

Not necessarily wanting to become a Nike obsessive, but I had a birthday discount and my job has this reward system that can be exchanged into One4All vouchers, corporate items etc. and as of a couple of months ago...Nike vouchers :D

So tldr...the Zoom Flys effectively cost me €19. Also got a pair of snazzy ACG trail shoes for the various impending staycations.

Currently have two pairs of Pegasus 36 and NB 1080 in my regular run rotation and NB 1400 for speed sessions, TTs etc.

Also have 2 pairs of boxfresh Pegasus 37 that I’m wearing casually atm...might keep one of them as “normal” trainers I reckon. Next purchase will likely be another pair of 1080s...possibly my favourite shoe right now but very hard to get anywhere for less than full price (~€160-170)

Got them with 20% discount on alltricks yesterday

I was just joking that your problem is the lack of the asics rather than having all the others!

On the fuelcell tc, I got those as well.
    I have tried them now a few times and I like them but they annoy me a bit too, I find debris is getting into the shoes when I'm running (I guess through the mesh material?) and the tongue is a bit of a faff, also seems to slide down on me no matter how hard I lace the shoes.

I can't honestly think of anything negative about the shoe. Sorry! None of the above have been an issue for me. Slips on lovely. Very comfie and stylish upper. Lovely shape. Nice and light. Bouncy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Brilliant post! I just ordered Adidas Ultra boost 20. Got 35% off thanks to a revolut code :)
    Whats a Revolut code? Care to share? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Looking to buy a new pair of running shoes and I haven't a clue though this thread has helped.
    Current shoes are 1.5 years old, Brooks Adrenaline 19, did go to a running shop and vaguely remember person in shop saying they were suitable for me & they are a good stability shoe.
    I am 46yrs old & try to run 3 times a week, I do a 5km & 8km on a flat route and a very hilly 4km trying to rotate them.
    I am not a serious runner but try to give myself goals, currently do the 5km around 22min - goal is to break 21min this year.
    8km around 36min - goal is to break 35min.
    Based on the above, just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what shoe might suit as an upcoming birthday present:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Try the novablast they are great

Love them but check the sizing..i have size 9 but 8 def would of done !!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Stick with the Adrenaline GTS 20 or 21 - great shoes.
    There's a reason that millions of people choose them as their "Go-To Shoe".
    If it ain't broke... and all that.
    For speedwork and races, if you want a slightly lighter show with stability and a little less cushion, you could try the Brooks Ravenna. They are up to version 11 now.

MtM

Looking to buy a new pair of running shoes and I haven't a clue though this thread has helped.
    Current shoes are 1.5 years old, Brooks Adrenaline 19, did go to a running shop and vaguely remember person in shop saying they were suitable for me & they are a good stability shoe.
    I am 46yrs old & try to run 3 times a week, I do a 5km & 8km on a flat route and a very hilly 4km trying to rotate them.
    I am not a serious runner but try to give myself goals, currently do the 5km around 22min - goal is to break 21min this year.
    Based on the above, just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what shoe might suit as an upcoming birthday present:)

Some decent deals here depending on your size;

https://www.365rider.com/en/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&ssa_submit=&search_query=brooks+adrenaline

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Thanks for all the advice, went for the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21 using the website Swashbuckler mentioned, got them for €112 so happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Bought myself a pair of Adidas SL 20 Black/Gold from the Adidas site. Paid €95. Couldn't find my size on any other site

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Luke774

What trainers would you recommend for a beginner runner? not long distance more sprints and light jogging
    Under €100

Also Best place to buy running jacket/ shorts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Luke774

Whats a Revolut code? Care to share? :o

From where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Brilliant post! I just ordered Adidas Ultra boost 20. Got 35% off thanks to a revolut code :)

Update on this. Just had my first jog in them. My first jog in "expensive" runners too.

Jesus I've been missing out!!! Ill never buy cheap sports direct crap ever again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Luke774 wrote: »
    What trainers would you recommend for a beginner runner? not long distance more sprints and light jogging
    Under €100

Also Best place to buy running jacket/ shorts ?

Decathlon is great for running jackets and shorts. Obviously not opened at the moment and the delivery times for online orders can be very long right now but I think they do some great gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Just getting into the world of runners and have plunged down a rabbit hole. I have a pair of Nike Pegasus (friend recommended) for the last few months but they have worn lots on the inside heel which hasn't impressed me and I'm having some Achilles issues. I do 2/3 runs midweek around 5-8km and then a longer run at weekend usually 10-20km depending. So I'm looking for a pair that would work for all those runs. Have just been looking at ASICS really and have come across the gel nimbus 22/23 and Kayano 27. Does anyone have experience of these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Just getting into the world of runners and have plunged down a rabbit hole. I have a pair of Nike Pegasus (friend recommended) for the last few months but they have worn lots on the inside heel which hasn't impressed me and I'm having some Achilles issues. I do 2/3 runs midweek around 5-8km and then a longer run at weekend usually 10-20km depending. So I'm looking for a pair that would work for all those runs. Have just been looking at ASICS really and have come across the gel nimbus 22/23 and Kayano 27. Does anyone have experience of these ?

Tenacious Repair Tape is great to get some more mileage out of the shoes with wear already. However I would look into using the runners loop (plenty of videos on YouTube) to ensure your heel is locked down properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I don’t wear kayano anymore, but they were my go-to runners for many years when I was starting out. Comfortable, cushioned and good for long distance training. I moved away from them because they were a bit heavy, and I felt I didn’t need all the cushioning and support as much. Plus, they’re quite expensive.

In unrelated news, I took the Reebok RF3 for their maiden voyage this morning. Fantastic shoe. Very fast, responsive and really encourage speed. They wouldn’t be a daily runner, but for tempo sessions, an absolute belter. Took delivery of the Energy as well, so I’ll give them a spin too. With the discount codes, the value on these was faintly ridiculous, €100 in total for both pairs including shipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I don’t wear kayano anymore, but they were my go-to runners for many years when I was starting out. Comfortable, cushioned and good for long distance training. I moved away from them because they were a bit heavy, and I felt I didn’t need all the cushioning and support as much. Plus, they’re quite expensive.

In unrelated news, I took the Reebok RF3 for their maiden voyage this morning. Fantastic shoe. Very fast, responsive and really encourage speed. They wouldn’t be a daily runner, but for tempo sessions, an absolute belter. Took delivery of the Energy as well, so I’ll give them a spin too. With the discount codes, the value on these was faintly ridiculous, €100 in total for both pairs including shipping!

I got the Run Fast 3s yesterday as well, very comfy, light shoe. Surprised by the sizing and wide toe box though (and not much of an arch), needed a different insole to combat that somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Folks - What is your experience with the carbon Adizero Pro? (not the Adios)

I’m looking for a replacement for my Boston’s, for 5/10/HM time trials.
    For context, I’m a 19:30 5k / 41min 10k / 1:36 HM.
    I use Ghost 13’s for easy days and Nike Tempo for sessions.

the super shoes and endorphin speeds are impossible to find at the mo, and I’ve got 600km on my remaining pair of Boston’s.

The adizero Pro are €120 on alltricks, down from €180.

sk8board wrote: »
    Folks - What is your experience with the carbon Adizero Pro?

I’m looking for a replacement for my Boston’s, for 5/10/HM time trials.
    For context, I’m a 19:30 5k and 41min 10k.
    I use Ghost 13’s for easy days and Nike Tempo for sessions.

the super shoes and endorphin speeds are impossible to find at the mo, and I’ve got 600km on my only remaining pair of Boston’s!

The adizero Pro seem to be more generally available, and always a discount somewhere.

Adizero Pro or Adizero Adios Pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Adizero Pro or Adizero Adios Pro?

Adizero pro.
    Seems to have a few more mm of cushioning over the Boston’s, and the plate.

Advertisement