Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I do. In terms of shoes I've found useful, I've found Ultraboost's, old version of Adidas Superova's (haven't tried recent versions which just look totally different), Pegs, Mizuno Wave's, Infinity Reacts and Milers to be fine. I've never gotten on with Asics (though love the look of their newer models like the Novablast & metaracer), most others have varied from fine to good.

Nike are my go to brand, sadly - I hate the brand but honestly, their shoes last longer for me than any other brand I've experienced. Now, I'm 90kg, so not light on shoes, but Mizuno's would give me 200miles odd, Adidas maybe 275, Nike's have generally given me 350 minimum with the exception of a pair of Winflo's where the liner frayed and tore to pieces.

I think if I had to pick one shoe to do everything, the Infinity Reacts are probably the ones.

Cheers
    Infinity Reacts... ugh hate em
    NB 880s x3 pairs solid but heavy
    NB 1080s x2 pairs ok to start but 270m and lost the spring too fast.. comfy walking and garden shoes
    Peg 35 & 36 good shoes but binned after 270m
    NB Beacon 2 x2 pairs and NB Beacon 3 all good, not softest foam but durable
    Adidas Solarglide.. hated em as much as Infinity Rescts

I remember having an old bright yellow pair of Adidas Supernova that I loved. Fit my foot so so well. Don't seem to make em as well now

Curious about Reebok Floatride 3 for something different
    Boston 10s look lovely too but still using Boston 7 and 8 on everything from easy to tempo

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The Shifts are bricks, I can't get enthused to wear them at all, I'll use them as bookends or make plant pots out of them.

Absolutely. Stiff and clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Had my first run today in the Asics Magic Speed. Too early for anything definitive but as my first step into a plated, modern foam shoe I have to say they felt great. The details on the shoe are excellent, there is a real feeling of quality about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Had my first run today in the Asics Magic Speed. Too early for anything definitive but as my first step into a plated, modern foam shoe I have to say they felt great. The details on the shoe are excellent, there is a real feeling of quality about them.

I think I recall seeing you ran a session today too. Anything of note in terms of the paces you saw for the effort put in?

I think I recall seeing you ran a session today too. Anything of note in terms of the paces you saw for the effort put in?

Well I'm running a "session" everyday on my current plan. :pac: Today wasn't a good test though. I have been running on very flat areas in order to keep effort levels constant. Today was more up and down and the breeze was up a bit too.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well I'm running a "session" everyday on my current plan. :pac: Today wasn't a good test though. I have been running on very flat areas in order to keep effort levels constant. Today was more up and down and the breeze was up a bit too.

Yes but I recall seeing at 5k effort which sounds anything but easy and maybe a good gauge of the shoes capability.

Report bsck again! Interested to hear.

Yes but I recall seeing at 5k effort which sounds anything but easy and maybe a good gauge of the shoes capability.

Report bsck again! Interested to hear.

That was yesterday in everyday trainers. For reasons related to training the plated shoes will be reserved for races mostly...But of course I'll keep you posted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Cheers
    Infinity Reacts... ugh hate em
    NB 880s x3 pairs solid but heavy
    NB 1080s x2 pairs ok to start but 270m and lost the spring too fast.. comfy walking and garden shoes
    Peg 35 & 36 good shoes but binned after 270m
    NB Beacon 2 x2 pairs and NB Beacon 3 all good, not softest foam but durable
    Adidas Solarglide.. hated em as much as Infinity Rescts

I remember having an old bright yellow pair of Adidas Supernova that I loved. Fit my foot so so well. Don't seem to make em as well now

Curious about Reebok Floatride 3 for something different
    Boston 10s look lovely too but still using Boston 7 and 8 on everything from easy to tempo

My last Adi Supernova's were 2017, ran the marathon in them. 2 pairs covered me from Feb to the Dublin City Marathon; great shoes. I tried a pair of solar glides the following year and they felt like bricks in comparison...

I want to hate the Infinity Reacts, but every time I run in them they just stay completely out of my way and leave my legs feeling grand the next day. That, for me, is a huge win. They're doing a great job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

My last Adi Supernova's were 2017, ran the marathon in them. 2 pairs covered me from Feb to the Dublin City Marathon; great shoes. I tried a pair of solar glides the following year and they felt like bricks in comparison...

I want to hate the Infinity Reacts, but every time I run in them they just stay completely out of my way and leave my legs feeling grand the next day. That, for me, is a huge win. They're doing a great job for me.

I got on with all my running shoes except Salomon Speedcross trail shoes...they were free so not too bad.
    The other were Adidas Boston 8's..we just didnt get on..
    Most people love them I know..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Thinking of buying my first pair of carbon shoes but from an injury prevention pov.
    Just wondering do they minimise muscle soreness post long run and sessions?
    And I suffer with a bit of plantar fasciitis on both feet, would the placement of the carbon plate help or potentially make things worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Mar Azul wrote: »
    Thinking of buying my first pair of carbon shoes but from an injury prevention pov.
    Just wondering do they minimise muscle soreness post long run and sessions?
    And I suffer with a bit of plantar fasciitis on both feet, would the placement of the carbon plate help or potentially make things worse?

Not sure of the PF issues but they would definitely help with muscle soreness and aid recovery significantly. I wear carbon plated shoes for my sessions and they really help in that way. My feet would normally get sore running in normal shoes for these long sessions but doesn't happen with carbon plated shoes

Treviso wrote: »
    Not sure of the PF issues but they would definitely help with muscle soreness and aid recovery significantly. I wear carbon plated shoes for my sessions and they really help in that way. My feet would normally get sore running in normal shoes for these long sessions but doesn't happen with carbon plated shoes

Thanks for that. Are there specific one's you'd recommend as an everyday type trainer rather than just races?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Thanks for that. Are there specific one's you'd recommend as an everyday type trainer rather than just races?

Endorphin Speed, though they have a nylon plate instead of a carbon plate.

Thanks a lot Treviso and FinnC.
    Just one more question regarding the sizing.
    I'm a uk8 in Nike pegasus, would the sizing be similar?

Thanks a lot Treviso and FinnC.
    Just one more question regarding the sizing.
    I'm a uk8 in Nike pegasus, would the sizing be similar?

I stopped using UK sizing a long time ago as the sizes differ from brand to brand.
    I’m a 42.5 in EU size and that’s what I use when ordering shoes.

I agree with Finn but for what it's worth in a 9 in pegasus and a 9 in endorphin pro. Pro are similar to speeds I assume.

Just try to buy them on alltricks, seem to be unavailable.
    Where else can you get them online at decent price?
    Thanks

Runhub or ready2run are usually good

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Brooks Glycerin 19 ordered tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Austin, TX based start-up, Kickstarter type purchase, I paid for back in Oct.
    $100 carbon plated.

First run impressions, they size big, I sized down which worked out. Comfortable, easy to get a nice fit. Feel fast and light (220gms), don't get the same push forward feeling of the Vaporfly, Endorphin, a little sloppy in corners, will experiment with the lacing, good training shoe for the price, not in the super shoe category for me.

551726.png

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Austin, TX based start-up, Kickstarter type purchase, I paid for back in Oct.
    $100 carbon plated.

First run impressions, they size big, I sized down which worked out. Comfortable, easy to get a nice fit. Feel fast and light (220gms), don't get the same push forward feeling of the Vaporfly, Endorphin, a little sloppy in corners, will experiment with the lacing, good training shoe for the price, not in the super shoe category for me.

551726.png

Yeah, I found the relative lack of stability on cornering much more noticeable in these than the base model. I presume it's the extra stack height and the softer foam that contributes to this. I didn't get on with it at very easy pace but felt it improved as pace picked up. As you say it is very comfortable.

Just try to buy them on alltricks, seem to be unavailable.
    Where else can you get them online at decent price?
    Thanks

Thanks for all the help, I've gone with the Adidas Adizero Pro. Hopefully I've made a good choice and went with the eu42 size, same as my Hoka rincons.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Thanks for all the help, I've gone with the Adidas Adizero Pro. Hopefully I've made a good choice and went with the eu42 size, same as my Hoka rincons.

Let us know how you get on in them. I had been eyeing up the Adidas for my first Carbon pair also. Unless Swashbuckler comes up with a magical special offer for something else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

I have the Rincons and Adizero pro both in EU44. The Adizero pro were my first pair of Adidas and I was a bit worried as most advise was to half size up but the 44 for me are spot on.

If you like the Rincon I'd say you will get along fine with the Adizero pro.

Kander wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on in them. I had been eyeing up the Adidas for my first Carbon pair also. Unless Swashbuckler comes up with a magical special offer for something else :P

Challenge accepted;

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11912-chaussures-running/P-1640790-nike_zoomx_vaporfly_next__orange_running_shoes

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11912-chaussures-running/P-1780332-nike_air_zoom_tempo_next_ekiden_running_shoes_white_blue_yellow_men

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Looks like the Endorphin speed 2 and Pro 2 are shipping to the reviewers.

Speed 2 is unboxed at 19:00 and the Pro at 24:00

https://youtu.be/yNovxRfIvnQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

A pair of comfy trainers from Dunnes.

Have nearly 100miles now on the New Balance Rebel V2 and they are so good. Keep reaching for them. So comfortable to run in.
    The fuelcell is my favourite foam I reckon, between the rebel v2 and the TC I’m not wearing much else at the moment. Will probably go for the Fuelcell RC Elite V2 next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow Speed 2 look fancy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Wow Speed 2 look fancy:)

I’d probably call them ....... ‘unmistakable’ :)

that said, the current ones are pretty unmistakable too when you see them out and about

Advertisement