Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

ThisRegard wrote: »

Ideally I'd like to jump into a pair of road Innov8s as I adore my roclites, not so much of a hint of hot spots or rubbing but due to pronating I may need a bit more guidance or support.

I would advise you to consider the Road-X 255s as a starter shoe on the Inov-8 range.
    I too used to be considered an over-pronator & have run in Kayano's, 2100 series & DS Trainers in the past, mostly bought whatever was going on sale, with the old notion that the Kayano was the "best shoe" out there.
    I had regular ITB issues & tried out the Chi running workshop. Based on that, I changed my form and moved more towards a forefoot strike.
    Next time I went to AK, I was looking more like a neutral runner & tried out the Mizuno Wave Rider, but they just didn't agree with me, giving me little niggles.
    So I went back to my old DSTs for a while & later tried out the Inov-8 255s as a start towards a more natural running gait.

The whole idea behind levels of pronation is that you land on your heel & roll onto your foot with varying levels of sidewards movement.
    The structured/supportive/cushioned shoes to deal with this have various designs and structure of the sole foam density to "correct" this.

Natural/Barefoot/Minimal running encourages a mid/fore foot strike where this level of pronation is effectively irrelevant.
    You'll also find that in addition to the theory behind it, these types of shoes have less heel cushioning, so the impact of heel strike is far more noticable. At first this can throw you a bit & give your leg a bit of a shock, but you quickly enough adapt your form to prevent this.

You can take it as far as you want with Inov-8 and that's what I like about it, its not an all or nothing case. You can start at 9mm heel-toe drop and progress all the way to zero drop if you want, or stop along the way when you're happy.

I have found it works for me, have little to no injury worries in the past year, and would recommend the shoes to anyone with an inclination to move towards a more minimal approach to running form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I found the Mizunos not great for the first week but they grew on me. The key was getting them wet and dry out slowly then they were fine. All my Asics get holes in them. Don't think I will buy Asics again for that reason. Did feel that both pairs of 2170's had no bounce at 450+ miles and with the holes wearing them as day shoes afterwards means they look bad. I pronate but not a lot. My footfall is getting better the more I run it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Just got the last pair of size 9 Green Silence on SportsShoes.com for 40 euros delivered. Funky colour too!

BRO434_400_1.jpg

Long live the silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cheers guys, I may give the Innov8s a test, my next problem is that it may be difficult to find a pair to try on, I'm a size 7 and it can be sometimes difficult find a decent selection in that size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like I need to make another trip out to AK (it's been a while). Would you position the Kinvara 3 as a replacement for the Precision or the Waverider (or a hybrid of both?). I liked the Waverider for the long slow slogs (20-22m at easy pace) and the Precisions for any faster stuff (tempo/PMP/marathons etc).
    Well, it's been just over four weeks since I picked up my Kinvara 3 shoes from Amphibian King and in that time I've covered just over 140+ miles in the shoes. I started wearing them at first for a few easy/recovery miles, before switching to using them for just sessions (5) and races (1). As Meno correctly pointed out, they are significantly lighter than my Mizuno Wave Musha racing flats, but still give the impression of having some cushioning and support.

In terms of the reduced heel to toe drop (as compared to Mizuno Waverider/Precision), I haven't really noticed a difference in running form, however, when running fast (for me: 5:30 - 5:50/mile), I have noticed that there is far less noise with each footfall, so less slapping of the ground. Traditionally, my legs would have been in rag order after completing a session (in Precisions) and I would have struggled up and down stairs for the next two days. In the Kinvaras, I find my post-session legs are tired, but I can bound up and down the stairs, which suggest less impact-type stress and possibly less wear and tear, due to the reduced weight of the shoes. I have noticed a little more strain on my glutes. This may be down to the change in drop, or just a result of the type of training I'm doing at the moment. I have run a couple of 22+ mile runs in them and a 16 mile marathon pace run, so am looking forward to using them in Dublin marathon in a couple of weeks time.

Reviewer rating: 9/10 (docked one mark for being expensive for what you get).
    Recommended for: Those on moderate to high mileage (50mpw+), with good running form
    Good for: Road running; not much grip for anything else
    Price: Typically €100 - €110
    Stockists: Amphibian King, Wheelworx, other good running stores
    Similar alternatives: Don't know
    Positive points: Light! They make me want to be a faster man.
    Negative points: None. Just regret not trying them sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Cheers guys, I may give the Innov8s a test, my next problem is that it may be difficult to find a pair to try on, I'm a size 7 and it can be sometimes difficult find a decent selection in that size.

ThisRegard, these things are very personal but like yourself I'm a flat-footed pronator. I've owned a pair of 21xx and they were a disaster for me too, blistering on the arch.

A visit to our friends in Amphibian King saw me trying Brooks Trance 10. I really like them, they're an extremely comfortable shoe and I'm in my 3rd pair now.
    The only negative I've found is that they're relatively expensive.

PK

Cheers Patrick, I'm going in with an open mind, will try everything bar Asics. I don't think they had the trance last time I bought, but I think Base2Race has a smaller range in stock than AK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Ok, so this has been asked before - but I have a twist. I still have a few Mizuno Wave Rider 13s sitting in boxes (yes, not ideal to keep shoes around but after bitter disappointments - yes I mean you Asics - better an old shoe I like) I have been hoarding them until I found a successor. I love the WR13 but I need to find a successor soon.

I skipped the 14s after trying one pair but had hopes for the WR15.

Hopes dashed. I liked the shoe but find that on longer runs it leaves my ankles bruised. Something weird about the shoe collar. Seems like a good shoe but not working for me.

So - successors to the WR13s. The wrinkle is that it must be a shoe that comes in a wide fitting :(. I have experimented with the "one size up" regular width thing but that really does not work.

Suggestions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Brooks Ghost in a 2e fitting? Or New Balance 1080 in 2e widths too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Cheers Patrick, I'm going in with an open mind, will try everything bar Asics. I don't think they had the trance last time I bought, but I think Base2Race has a smaller range in stock than AK.

Yes Amphibian King in Base2race has the Trance.

• Advertisement

oooh precious :D

I'm aware that it's an Amphibian King concession in Base2Race, I think a lot of people just say Base2Race when they want to differentiate between Bray and Ballymount. Anyway, as I said, last time I was in which was back in March/April I don't think they did, when I checked back about a month ago the guy there told me they only had a couple of different shoes in my size and gait but if I wanted they could get any I wanted to try in from Bray for me.

I'm not complaining about the place, just saying they never came up as an option over 6 months ago.

the guy there told me
    Now if only 'the guy' read these forums, you'd be sorted.

LOL. The thing is, I can't remember what "guy" it was as it was only a brief discussion while he was with someone else so I can't be sure if the 'guy' in question is our 'guy' as such.

If he had to have a discussion with someone else about what shoes were in stock, then he is not 'THE' guy. :)

If the shoe you are looking for is not visible on the shelf or even on the website always ask one of us, we can get our hands on most shoes and sizes within a couple of days and its probably in one or the other of the stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

If he had to have a discussion with someone else about what shoes were in stock, then he is not 'THE' guy. :)

If the shoe you are looking for is not visible on the shelf or even on the website always ask one of us, we can get our hands on most shoes and sizes within a couple of days and its probably in one or the other of the stores.

While you're on, do you have the new innov 8 trailroc shoes in?

You can say what you want, Thirstywork is 'the guy'. :D

You can say what you want, Thirstywork is 'the guy'. :D

He's the only man for the job ( on the East coast ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

He's the only man for the job ( on the East coast ;) )
    This is exactly what got 2pac shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

AK or TW2 (or anyone else :D), wondering if you could help me. I'm looking for a hybrid of the Kayano & DS Trainer and does that equal the 2170??

I currently run in both shoes - the Kayano 18 gives me Achilles issues but no shin problems but vice versa for the the DS Trainers (no Achilles problems but aggravates my shin). So I think the problem is heel cage on Kayano 18 (which is different in DS Trainers??) and cushioning on the DS Trainers.

Is the 2170 this hybrid? I have tried the Brooks Adrenaline but after 250 odd miles, I'm still not a fan. Any other recommendations?

Cheers,
    BP

• Advertisement

Just got the last pair of size 9 Green Silence on SportsShoes.com for 40 euros delivered. Funky colour too!

BRO434_400_1.jpg

Long live the silence

These arrived in super quick time from sportsshoes.com, even with the free delivery. Can't wait for my old ones to give up the ghost now, although with about 800 miles on them, they look like they might do the same again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fall Trail Shoe Guide on Active

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I'm aware that it's an Amphibian King concession in Base2Race, I think a lot of people just say Base2Race when they want to differentiate between Bray and Ballymount. Anyway, as I said, last time I was in which was back in March/April I don't think they did, when I checked back about a month ago the guy there told me they only had a couple of different shoes in my size and gait but if I wanted they could get any I wanted to try in from Bray for me.

I'm not complaining about the place, just saying they never came up as an option over 6 months ago.

Id say the above I have highlighted differentiates :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

After 3 pairs of kinvaras and 2 triumphs I have changed to brooks ghost. My achilles just couldnt take the low heel drop and need a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Id say the above I have highlighted differentiates :D

Advice please TW2. I like the look of those Adidas Adipure Gazelle, whats the scéal with them? Much feed back on them yet?? I run in Kinvara 2&3, and race in the type A5, but would like to try something other than Saucony.

Also, which colour do you stock (very important) and how many notes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I wear a Mizuno Wave Rider.

I think the version I am on is the number 14.

But its my third pair.

I wear an orthotic, and also I have a history of dodgy achilles.

The Wave Rider has a slightly raised heel, which may or may not be unusual for a neutral shoe.

Anyway, it was the first runner I used where I didnt have achilles problems.

I actually switched to a Saucony (also a neutral shoe) at the start of the year as the local shop didnt have Wave Riders, and the achilles issue re-emerged within four weeks.

So I promptly switched back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I've been wearing Kayanos for training for about 6 years at this stage. I know they're a big, heavy number, but my feeling is; if it's not broke, then don't fix it. Haven't really had any significant injuries in those years. I got gait analysis done in 2008, the guy in Up and Running recommended Kayanos for me, and said for something lighter for racing, the Mizuno Elixir.

Been using the same pair of Elixirs for all my races since April 2008, and they're still in good nick.

I've been thinking a lot about changing to Elixirs for short-medium training and marathon races, and keeping the Kayanos just for the long runs over 14 or 15 miles. I've 2 or 3 pairs of still functioning Kayanos floating about, so I'll transition slowly I think.

Ordered a pair of Asics Hyperspeed 5, getting delivered by a friend at the weekend. I'll hopefully use these as racing shoe up to half marathon distance initially. Any of ye have any experience of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I have a pair of hyper speed 5s that I picked up cheap on every. They are very light and have very little to no cushioning... The furthest I have gone is a 4 mile race in them and can definitelyfeel my calves working a lot more in them. I wouldn't even consider a HM in them but that's just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Thanks Nellocono,
    I'll make the transitions into they hyperspeeds very very gradually. Might chance a 5k in them before Christmas, and take it from there. I love the Elixir, and feel like it's a great shoe for half and full marathon, so unless the legs are well and truely happy with the Hyperspeeds, the Elixir will still remain the go-to shoe for longer distance racing.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Slightly OT, but the thread title does say what shoes you wearing now...

Popped in to Amphibian King on Tuesday & picked up the Mizuno Be shoes on their great sale price.
    Supposedly a shoe to wear while not running and I'd been looking for a pair of casual shoes.
    Due to them being all black, except the silver logo, I've just about managed to get away with them in work (smart casual dress code) for the past two days, though I'll probably revert back to my regular work shoes from next week.

So far so good, the ridge feels a little strange but no different to your toes sticking out over the front of a pair of flip flops while on hols.
    Will have to wait and see on their supposed benefits, but the fit is really good & they feel like a pair of slippers on your feet.

Back to waiting for the new Inov-8s some time in the Spring.

Advertisement