Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’ve 3 pairs of Alpha’s and 2 pairs of Vapor’s the original ones not the next 2s.

I’ve found the Vaporfly a faster shoe than the Alpha but the Alpha’s fit better, the Vapor is a little narrow so I went for a half size bigger than normal which done the trick.

If it was me I’d go for the Vaporfly all day long.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

First off, wait for a deal. Don't pay full price.

Alpha are better but it's a love or hate job.

Most people would like the vaporfly 2.

Personally I love both. I feel like I get more from the alpha. Do you have other carbon shoes and any particular preferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Currently have the endorphin pros. Using them for tempos and racing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice - well done on the PB. I couldn't agree more with the "road feel", it just makes it a more natural run for me. Interesting to see how you get on with the longer sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I thought I'd come back and offer a more developed opinion on these.

They're firm & quick relative to the Infinity's, but no shock there really. Generally I've used them for intervals and for quick runs up to 5k and they've definitely been faster but more painful... Interestingly, today I took them for an intentionally slow 14k and they were actually great. Firm, yes, but the roll from the plate has left me feeling like I had to put less into it while still going at a 5.30/km pace - I know that's not fast and they're designed to go a lot faster (and are actually quite good fun doing intervals closer to the 4min/km pace) but I'm surprised my legs don't feel more beaten up.

My concern about stability is unfounded too. Yes, they feel strange walking in them and are less stable the slower you go, but once you're running, it's fine. Note I'm not a big pronator, but I generally like a more stable feeling platform that some.

All told, it's a nice shoe for a change from the Infinity's (which I still love)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I've a pair of the newish Reebok Floatride Energy 4 Shoes on the way as couldn't resist this deal the price of €53 thanks to a lightning deal & a voucher code I online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

An email from Reebok & as always I did a quick search online to see if any voucher codes were knocking about before ordering & found one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

I have been wearing the Saucony Endorphin Speeds on all my races this year and last, yesterday was the first time I have worn them in a longer distance. Wore them for a half marathon. Around mile 11 or so, they started to feel pretty hard. Like there was no cushioning on them. Is this normal and is it just that they havent been broken in for longer distances? In total there were 65 miles on them prior to yesterday, the longest being an 8 mile run.

I want to wear them in DCM this year but not if they will hurt like that.

Has anyone else here worn them in marathons and experienced the same?

The Endorphin Speeds are not a shoe I would wear for a marathon. Disclaimer: I have no science to back this up nor do I know the ins and outs of the construction of the shoe. But what I do know is how they feel for me.

I find I can feel more of the road contact with the Endorphin Speeds. For whatever reason, this suits me when running fast. By fast I mean 10k or faster reps. Having worn them for longer threshold sessions in my marathon block, over distance , feeling that road contact takes its toll a bit. Not pain or anything catastrophic but my feet "know" they've ran a bit.

Now, even if that didnt happen I would still not choose them over the supershoes. For me the Speeds are purely a trainer for sessions, nothing else.

One possible suggestion would be, if you love the Speeds, maybe take a look at the Endorphin Pro as I feel they are far more suited to the longer distances. But at a cost obviously.

• Advertisement

"Not pain or anything catastrophic but my feet "know" they've ran a bit"

This actually sums it up perfectly. I might look at the Pros so. I could get the first version for cheaper now tbh, not too bothered about the 2s.

Thanks for the reply, I was looking for someone who had ran in them before at marathon distance so good to know

Well just to make sure you know - the farthest I have run in them is probably 15 miles (half of which was easy pace and the other half at threshold).

No interest in the Vaporfly or alpafly I'm guessing?

Not that there is no interest, they just seem very expensive. I dont think I could justify them. I had the speeds as I got them for €160.

And I've worn Nikes in the past (not those models, others) and they have never agreed with me. So just dont want to shell out for them and find out 20 miles in to them they arent for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I was given advice that the Speeds would be a good shoe for a marathon, that they were a bit of an all-rounder. Is this not the case. Have just ordered a pair yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I'd go for the Saucony endorphin pro for the marathon. The speed is fine up to around half marathon distance for me.

To be honest everyone is different. People have been running marathons in awful shoes for years, long before these supershoes arrived on the scene - so obviously, yes the Speeds could be used for the marathon. Are there better shoes. Probably. Are there worse. Definitely.

Personally I would have a different choice of shoe for the marathon but thats just coming from someone who has bought into the hype. I think it also partly depends on your target too. I'd be surprised to see a sub 2.30 person running in Endorphin Speeds but someone who has been running in heavier, old school shoes would certainly benefit from a better shoe. I guess the bottom line is you wont know until you try them. Buying an all rounder, or even a supershoe doesn't guarantee they will suit you for all race distances.

Yeah they're pricey but there are always deals. I paid 170 for my vaporfly and similar for the alphafly. For what its worth I hate the Pegasus but love the Alpha/Vaporfly. The Nike supershoes can't really be compared to any other Nike shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I wore the Speed 2 in the Manchester marathon, no problems whatsoever, very comfortable. I always had black and bruised toenails after marathons but all oin the Speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I can't see any reason why the Speeds wouldn't be a good marathon option. I do most of my long runs in them and find them really comfortable over distance. I'd choose the Pros over them for racing but not for comfort reasons, just that they feel a bit lighter and faster. The Speeds are a brilliant all rounder imo, one of the best shoes I've ever run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Speeds should be fine for most people for a Marathon I reckon. Everyone is different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Everyone is different. I'm on the larger side for running and I find the Speeds too soft in the heel, I'm not confident in my strike, too unstable.

Last marathon (I've only done 2), I picked the Nike React Miler over the Speeds, less sexy but safer option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I wore the speeds for a marathon. Previous marathons I wore more reliable types such as Brooks Ghost or Mizuno Wave Rider so they were my first venture into a lighter faster marathon shoe. I had some quad/ITB issues in the marathon but I really don't think the shoes were responsible. I attribute it to the surface (concrete) and the sheer flatness of the course. After training on roads that have an camber to running on a level concrete path, I think my legs just took a hammering plain & simple. Shoes/feet were all good. I've worn them for a few halves as well and no issues either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Cheers for the replies all.

I'm coming from years of having used GT-2000s so these will be a big change for me. Had wanted to dabble in the newer type shoe for a while and decided to go for the Speeds after reading up on them a bit. Thought these might help with the recovery from some of the longer runs, and was planning to keep with the old reliable asics for the day to day stuff.

Used 365rider to get them for €120ish, and they won't be here for another week.

Enjoy. I just bought my second pair. Love them.

Might try them for a few long distances over the next while to see how I react

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I had to take to my magic speeds with the scalpel. The material above the soft cushion in the heel counter started to eat my Achilles no matter how I laced them up.

Today I wore a pair of the double layered 1000 mile socks but again it had me sore after a few km so it was the last straw.

Will see how they go in a few days now they have been modified. A shame really as I do like to run in them

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Last time (3rd time) I ran in them I wound up with some Achilles pain as well. I was not sure if it was that I was in a mad rush and forced the shoes on without opening the laces fully and hurt myself putting them on! I'll know more next time I wear them as I didn't have that issue on the first 2 runs

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I've worn the speed 2 up to marathon/50km distance and I'm currently on my 3rd pair. They are without a doubt a fantastic shoe for every day and very capable race day footwear but they don't compare to Vaporfly or Alphafly for performance.

That said if I had to pick one shoe to do it all the speed 2 is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Just to echo many people above, the Speeds for me would be the one shoe I’d wear in a marathon if I didn’t have a carbon marathon shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Has anyone any opinions on super-long distance cushioned shoes. As ever, so much choice out there, so would be interested if anyone has any recommendations. I've got more trail shoe than road shoe knowledge, so would like to narrow down the huge choicies out there for road shoes. I'll be going though several pairs in the race, of which Hoka Rincons will be one (and a cheap Aldi pair that are surprisingly effective). Haven't bought new road shoes in a while! Distance will be masssive and speed will be correspondingly low. Comfort is an absolute priorty, but I'll still be trying for as much speed as possibly under the circumstance. These shoes will need to do one or two hundred K at least in one go, which probably rules out most of the supershoes I would guess. Drop doesn't matter. Stabilty not required. Wide fit would be good, but I'll be going oversized anyway.

Open to any opininions and ideas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Brooks Glycerin GTS is their super cushioned shoe. I'd happily wear it on my longest runs before a marathon, before switching over to a faster shoe for marathon day. It's up to version 19 or 20 now I think.

MtM

Advertisement