Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Changed my ways for once and didnt go for the cheap and cheerful option for once (last pair were Asics Supremacy's I picked up for 30e in Direct sport because the felt ok and orthotics fit inside:D)

Went for the Kinvaras but also picked up a pair of fast twitch while I was there for sessions to rotate with my T7s that I race in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

glasso wrote: »
    good shoes, why get that awful colourscheme twice though!

I only have one pair of them, they've been sitting in my drawer for over 4 months waiting to be worn and the colour was the only one available when I bought them. There is a red/navy combo available now though, which I may get while they are dirt cheap.

And, I have to say, I like the colour scheme :D

PaulieC wrote: »
    I only have one pair of them, they've been sitting in my drawer for over 4 months waiting to be worn and the colour was the only one available when I bought them. There is a red/navy combo available now though, which I may get while they are dirt cheap.

And, I have to say, I like the colour scheme :D

I have that one - it's more red and purple.

BRO551_400_1.jpg

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/BRO551/brooks-green-silence-racing-running-shoes/

best colour imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My missus has two pairs of them.
    Originally I got the purple/Blue & red ones for her, she found them so comfortable she wanted another pair, got the brown & white ones.
    She doesn't run but just wears them out with the kids etc. says they are comfy.

I'd get a pair myself at that price only out of stock in my size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adavis58

For now I am sticking with the Asics GT-2170
    Art
    <Snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Just bought the Brooks Ravenna 4 and they seem ok after a 7km run. Has anyone any experience of them?

A very garish green though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Just arrived, Asics gel excel 33's - a nice bright colour to keep me safe on the country's backroads. :D
    Gonna use them for my shorter midweeks runs and the pegasus29's for my LSR's over the next few weeks to break them in.
    AGE33.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Just bought the Brooks Ravenna 4 and they seem ok after a 7km run. Has anyone any experience of them?

A very garish green though!

I've a pair of Ravenna 2's that are over 2 years old now with loads of mileage on them. They haven't lost any of their support or bounce. Last year I got some Adrenaline GTS12 to replace them and pretty much did the same job for my feet but the Adrenaline are creaking at the soles and ar making my feet feel a bit flat over long runs. I'm pulling out my Ravenna 2's again for the long runs and will more than likely invest in the Ravenna 4 in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

seanmacc wrote: »
    I've a pair of Ravenna 2's that are over 2 years old now with loads of mileage on them. They haven't lost any of their support or bounce. Last year I got some Adrenaline GTS12 to replace them and pretty much did the same job for my feet but the Adrenaline are creaking at the soles and ar making my feet feel a bit flat over long runs. I'm pulling out my Ravenna 2's again for the long runs and will more than likely invest in the Ravenna 4 in the next few months.

Do you find much difference in support or weight between the Adrenalines and the Ravenna?

Do you find much difference in support or weight between the Adrenalines and the Ravenna?

The Adrenalines have slightly more support and have more weight in them. There are times when I think there's too much cushioning in the Adrenalines.

I'm liking the Ravenna's more because of how long they've lasted and how they're slightly more flexible which I find useful when i want to kick out as I sometimes push off my toes. But if I was to run a marathon I'd go for the Adrenalines (be it a not so worn pair)

• Advertisement

8643124214_2766f8ef4e_c.jpg

Adrenalines on the left, Ravenna's on the right. There's a good bit more support on the Adrenalines but I have to say the Ravenna's shape is much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Have been using the NB Minimus MR00 for a while now and the MT10 for trail. Have two pairs of Vibrams, Trek sport and KSOs. Love the lighter shoes, took me a good while to get used to them but couldn't run in anything else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I run and train with Brookes Ghost and am trying the five fingers. At the moment I am looking at switching to the Saucony Kinvara. This is because I noticed from looking at my current runner I seem to be heal striking. I naturally run on my forefoot/mid and am I neutral runner as far as my gate test in November 2012 said. It maybe due to when I get tired, run slower or the cushion on the ghost's. The Kinvara has less cushion and are a lighter shoe so hopefully will prevent heel striking. I am going to start a separate thread for feedback on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

ooooo, new shoes...

Thanks to Sean in AKW, I now have the brand new Inov-8 Road-X-Treme 178.
    3mm drop, light as a feather, for use in speed sessions & 5k races for now (Galway 5k Series here I come).
    Hope to try them at track tonight.

My (Inov-8) Shoe Range is now:-

Road-X 255 - weekend LSR
    Road-X 233 - standard training & races above 5k
    Road-X-Treme 178 - Speedwork & 5k races
    Trailroc 245 - offroad & cross country

I'm beginning to think Inov-8 should be sponsoring me - just a pity I'm not that fast :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

my pair of adidas boost came yesterday.Looking forward to my first run in them.At the moment using lunaracer 3's for intervals/racing,Brooks st5's for tempo and brooks ghost for lsr's.I thought the boost would make a nice lsr shoe but I think it might be light and responsive enough to use for tempos instead.I have an ez 10k Thursday ill get to try them then and I promised a buddy i'd pace him on a bandon half marathon training attempt on sunday so ill see how they perform on the longer runs.

They are very tight so glad I got a 1/2 size up as per advice on runners world.The material covering the toe box is like a sock so id say they are going to be pretty crap in the rain but they do feel incredible responsive for the most cushioned shoe ive every worn. time will tell on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Truedat

I wore Asics Kayano for years and then moved on to Saucony. Both were grand - pretty functional and had no issues at all, but I recently got the New Balance 1080v3 and I love them - they feel like they were made for my feet. Also got the Asics gel-lyte33 for short runs, they're fine too but probably have just confirmed my love for the NBs more.

Would it be interested to hear how the Adidias boost work out, I tried them on but didn't like the sock feel and was worried about how they would withstand the rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

First impressions of the Inov-8 Road-X-Treme 178 ...

As I noticed in the shop, its light as a feather, the 55gram weight drop compared to the previous 22gram when I went from the 255 to the 233 is very noticeable.
    Also, while I have previously had no issues with Inov-8 straight from the box, this is on a whole new scale of comfort, it feels more like a slipper than a running shoe.
    Had planned on using them at the track on Tuesday night, but as this session switched to the rough and in some places muddy paths around the pitches, I decided not to dirty them and instead brought them for a 3 x 7min tempo last night.
    In the shop the heel felt a little loose compared to my other shoes, but I didn't feel it at all during the run. I held back a little in the first couple of tempos, not wanting to push too hard in the new shoes, but went for it on the third rep, and boy do they feel fast.
    Came in flying without much effort and they really responded when I started to push it.
    I'm already a fan of Inov-8, but I think they've really done a good job with this shoe, they seem to have got a good balance of minimal cushioning and flexibility with enough strength in the sole to push off well when you need to. I had tried on a pair of the Road-X 155s before, but they always felt like they slapped the ground with each step. I don't get the same impression with these at all, seems to be much smoother, probably down to the rubber sections on the sole to prevent this.
    At the end of the run I could feel a little discomfort in the arch of my left foot, something I believe is just from the fact its a flatter shoe than I've worn previously, except the Trailroc 245, but I haven't done much in it, certainly not on the roads & concrete paths.
    I'll have to make sure not to do too much too soon in the 178 and build any distance slowly, but as I intend using it for the Galway 5k & track only for the time being, I don't see this being an issue.

Overall, very happy with them for a first night out, now to see if they can help me towards this years goal of a sub 20 5k.

i had my first run in my new adidas boost last night and here are my thoughts. I am 3 weeks into a tough elite 5k plan and my legs were really feeling shattered coming into last nights ez 10k @ 4:19 per km.The boost i selected are the energy boost as opposed to the adistar boost which are more structured.I currently use ghost 5 for lsr's,brooks st5s for tempos and nike lunaracer 3's for racing and intervals.

The boost first of all fit like a sock.They are very snug and a similar type fit to the lunaracers 3's.I intended these a replacement to the ghosts being a little bit lighter.As the run progressed there is no doubts about the cushioning.It is without doubt better than the ghost,vomeros or pegasus i have tried in the past.What makes the boosts different is the when your heel and mid foot mash down the cushioned material it is very responsive in kicking your heel and mid foot back up.This is what has set these shoes apart highly cushioned yet very responsive and light.At 9 ounces they are about 3 ounces less than the ghost's.

Now for the negatives.They are away less structured than any of my lsr shoes i have run on before.They have very little arch support as i could feel coming towards the end of the run and also i found your leg has away more movement so a good running form and natural gait is very imortant with these or injury will soon follow.

The other issue is the techfit upper is kinda like a sock like material and so has absolutely no waterproofing.Last night was dry but the footpaths had unavoidable pools of water and i could feel the moisture coming in.A good tip i came across is a can of solsoft waterproofer .€3 from sportsworld.ie and problem sorted apparently.

Over all i am very impressed.I believe i will be able to slowly transition into these from the ghost and ultimately end up with a light ,highly responsive lsr shoe.The holy grail.But only time will tell for them.They could just as easily end up in my shoe graveyard with the brooks launch and other such casualties.I am doing a slow 22k on sunday so may try them there and see how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

gearoidol wrote: »
    i had my first run in my new adidas boost last night and here are my thoughts. I am 3 weeks into a tough elite 5k plan and my legs were really feeling shattered coming into last nights ez 10k @ 4:19 per km.The boost i selected are the energy boost as opposed to the adistar boost which are more structured.I currently use ghost 5 for lsr's,brooks st5s for tempos and nike lunaracer 3's for racing and intervals.

The boost first of all fit like a sock.They are very snug and a similar type fit to the lunaracers 3's.I intended these a replacement to the ghosts being a little bit lighter.As the run progressed there is no doubts about the cushioning.It is without doubt better than the ghost,vomeros or pegasus i have tried in the past.What makes the boosts different is the when your heel and mid foot mash down the cushioned material it is very responsive in kicking your heel and mid foot back up.This is what has set these shoes apart highly cushioned yet very responsive and light.At 9 ounces they are about 3 ounces less than the ghost's.

Now for the negatives.They are away less structured than any of my lsr shoes i have run on before.They have very little arch support as i could feel coming towards the end of the run and also i found your leg has away more movement so a good running form and natural gait is very imortant with these or injury will soon follow.

The other issue is the techfit upper is kinda like a sock like material and so has absolutely no waterproofing.Last night was dry but the footpaths had unavoidable pools of water and i could feel the moisture coming in.A good tip i came across is a can of solsoft waterproofer .€3 from sportsworld.ie and problem sorted apparently.

Over all i am very impressed.I believe i will be able to slowly transition into these from the ghost and ultimately end up with a light ,highly responsive lsr shoe.The holy grail.But only time will tell for them.They could just as easily end up in my shoe graveyard with the brooks launch and other such casualties.I am doing a slow 22k on sunday so may try them there and see how i get on

Good post. How did you find the Adidas boost for your 22k.wearing brooks trance I ran 28k Friday evening in prep for limerick marathon and for the last 4 Kms I really struggled. Felt like I was running barefoot they were that hard not to mention sore calfskin and knee. Wore asics nimbus for DCM and have no complaints so am going back to a neutral shoe and am considering Boost so your opinion is welcome.

dekbhoy wrote: »
    Good post. How did you find the Adidas boost for your 22k.wearing brooks trance I ran 28k Friday evening in prep for limerick marathon and for the last 4 Kms I really struggled. Felt like I was running barefoot they were that hard not to mention sore calfskin and knee. Wore asics nimbus for DCM and have no complaints so am going back to a neutral shoe and am considering Boost so your opinion is welcome.

i chickened out last minute and wore my old brooks ghost.I have worked so hard in the last couple months i couldnt risk hurting myself yesterday.
    I hope to get out and do another 10k recovery run tonight and ill definately wear them for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I mentioned this in another thread I started so I thought I'd post here as well. I just got my new Brooks Green Silence.(glasso's recommendation) Taking them for a test run later, Very different from my previous pair of runners which were Mizuno Wave Inspire 5.

I'm wearing the Brooks around the house right now and they feel so light and really fit me well. Can't wait to try them out.
    I'll report back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Got those Brooks green silence myself just yesterday from sportsshoes.com as well as a pair of adidas adizero hagio. great website

tried the brooks last night for a short 4 miler, they are indeed very light and comfortable...cant rate them properly until i get another run or 2 done in them.

currently using nike free run 3mm and 5mm, so the brooks feel a bit different to those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Adidas boost arrived this morning ,first impressions are good. Will run 10mile tomorrow. Really hoping they are the ones for me, wife will divorce me if I tell her they are not right, also don't want to pick up any stupid injuries running limerick marathon. Aiming to go under 3:15 so essential they are right otherwise I'm stuck with my battle weary asics until I can affords new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone know how the Asics 2000 compare to the 2170? Should probably get some new shoes soon, have my current ones about 9-10 (low mileage) months at this stage...

dekbhoy wrote: »
    Adidas boost arrived this morning ,first impressions are good. Will run 10mile tomorrow. Really hoping they are the ones for me, wife will divorce me if I tell her they are not right, also don't want to pick up any stupid injuries running limerick marathon. Aiming to go under 3:15 so essential they are right otherwise I'm stuck with my battle weary asics until I can affords new ones.

Did 10k ez run @ 4:19 a km last night and they were lovely. Legs were shagged from 22 on Sunday and they were a joy as they are so comfortable.

Get yourself a bottle of solsoft waterproofer for the toe box .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Couldn't resist ordering a pair of Green Silence on sportsshoes.com for €40. I've heard great things about them, and with them being discontinued, decided to jump in and grab a pair before they become a relic. I'm not sure where they'll fit into my plans, but I'd guess I'll be reserving them for intervals, track work and maybe the odd recovery run. If they're more cushioned than the Hyperspeed, I might use them as a racer up to half marathon. Anyone here use them on long runs, or marathon distance?

as per review above i recently got a pair of adidas boost.These are not water proof so i picked up a can of sofsole waterproofer @ €3 a can from sportsdirect.ie.Waterproof and still completely breatheable

Here are the results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjl5E_e_-0&feature=youtu.be

how cool is that :)

Couldn't resist ordering a pair of Green Silence on sportsshoes.com for €40. I've heard great things about them, and with them being discontinued, decided to jump in and grab a pair before they become a relic. I'm not sure where they'll fit into my plans, but I'd guess I'll be reserving them for intervals, track work and maybe the odd recovery run. If they're more cushioned than the Hyperspeed, I might use them as a racer up to half marathon. Anyone here use them on long runs, or marathon distance?

have only personally run about 15k in them - no problems for me. some people have used them no problems for marathon distances or even 165 mile runs (elite ultrarunner Scott Jurek). this is something that you can only answer yourself though - other people's experiences are just that.

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/02/review-of-brooks-green-silence-racing.html

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/scott-jurek-interview/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

phew...got another pair of GS, just in time by the looks of it. I think when all the GS die, I'll just give up running :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Just tried out my first pair of Green Silence. Just a short run, but so far I'm very pleased with them. Really light and no noticeable discomfort with regard to impact etc. They feel like a comfortable pair of slippers!:)

Advertisement