Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Anyone worn Asics Glideride 3? Or any other recommendations for a daily trainer? I'm currently wearing the Glideride 2 and have put a fair few miles on them now so probably time to be considering what to get next to fill that gap. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Novablast 3 getting good reviews if you like Asics, haven't used them, but have pulled the trigger on the Magicspeed 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

I bought the new Endorphin Pro 3, wore them today for the first time in Lucan 5mile. Felt a bit of a fraud wearing them if I’m honest as I’m sure they were meant for faster runners than me but I really liked them. Very soft and bouncy and my legs feel better than they usually would now after a hardish effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

I think I need a pair with a bit of cushioning. My Pegasus are very rigid and I think it’s causing my knee and hip pain.

I am planning on going to a proper running shop but I am really tempted by those On Running shoes! They look comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Gliderides go forever. I have 700 on my first pair and 350 on my second, both version 1. I hadn't used them in an age and threw them on a few days ago...they are the business for easy runs. I got the Saucony Tempus and put a few miles on them this week. I'm liking them so far. They are very supportive and stable. I'd love to try the Novablast 3 but I just don't get on with overly soft shoes either. I'll pull the trigger on Magic Speed 2 as soon as the other colour options are released. Deviate Nitro 2 is also on the shopping list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I got the Novablast before (probably the 1st iteration) and returned them, I think it was because they were too narrow for my foot. I may just stick with the Glideride, they are a great shoe, they've grown on me. I'll get more out of them but I like having a few pairs to rotate especially facing into the Winter when I will likely be getting wet most days. Thanks for the suggestions both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

For the puma (Deviate Nitro 2) - I looked into these (not the elite version) and went for Puma Velocity 2 instead and I love them (easy, long & steady runs + could do more I'd say).

I'll probably buy the Nitro Elites at some stage too as a session shoe when my Reeboks (floatride Energy) run out of juice (the Reeboks are also a great shoe for sessions and can be got at a good pricepoint)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I bought the Puma Deviate Nitro reduced from 200 to 120 on Elverys. A good shoe. The upper is my only bug bear with them. They feel like a cross between the upper of the Vaporfly Next% and the cushion of the Fuelcell TC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭cmac2009

So people would recommend the Puma Nitro range? I was looking at getting the Eternity Nitro as it's on the stability side of the things, but quite light stability in comparison to most other brands from the reviews I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I picked up a pair of Nitro Elites in that same Elverys sale and I've become so fond of them that I plan to use them for my upcoming marathon. I'm not a huge fan of the upper either but can't say it's caused me any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

How do the Puma elites compare to the Alphafly/Vaporfly?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Can't comment on the Nikes but I'd consider them at least on a par with the Endorphin Pro V1 but with a more comfortable ride. The plate in the Endorphins can feel quite stiff and harsh while you barely notice the one in the Pumas.

I think it's fair to say that at this point comparisons are less relevant than ever before. How each person's running style responds to plate shape, plate position and foam properties makes it very individual

Personally, they don't.

I've worn the Puma elites a few times. Fantastic value at 120 quid. I wouldn't pay 200 for them though. And for me they would never replace the alpha or vapors for racing. For training they are very good,l assuming you can live with the cheap feel of the upper

Molly Seidl wore them to a bronze in the Olympic marathon finishing 26 seconds behind gold and 16 behind silver. I'm guessing you think she would have won in Nikes?

Hence me using the words "personally" and "for me". I'm guessing you wouldn't have had an issue if I was comparing them to some brand other than Nike!

What a race that was.

The reason I asked is that time and again I try other shoes (New balance, asics, saucony pro to name a few) after recommendations and time and again I find they lag way behind the performance of the Alphfly/Vaporfly. Don't get me wrong, training wise Im on my 4th pair of endorphin speeds, 3rd pair of reebok floatride and now and again I use a pair of soft NB for the hard recovery so I'm not choosy.

Essentially I can sneak another pair of Vaporfly by the misses if I stick to the same colorway but if add another brand she might be miffed and ask me to get rid of something else(terrible woman all together_). I might wait till my birthday and give these bad boys/buys(to be seen) a go.

Puma Nitro Elite, I have 100 miles on these.

I have used them primarily for longer steady runs.

Firstly I find them a very comfortable shoe, definitely in the category of I want to wear these and enjoy wearing them, I haven't had any upper issues, I actually like the almost there feel, for someone looking to promote some control with a really secure lockdown then maybe these are not for them.

I find they have more of a 'normal' shoe feel than the Vapor and Alpha, and there is a nice transition across the paces. However, I found that they can feel a bit harsh towards the end of longer runs, meaning the soles of my feet felt a little beat up.

I think Puma have really upped their game in the last couple of years, I really enjoyed running in their Faas 300 and below range previously and now have the Liberate, Magnify and Nitro Elite, all great shoes to run in.

I wore the Puma Elite for a CV paced (5-10k effort) session yesterday and found them really really good. I'd pick them over the Fuelcell TC for a session like that and vice versa for longer tempo runs.

The upper really only bothers me when I'm putting them on or running slow. Not that it causes pain, just the feel of it. That being said, I probably could have done with half a size up which probably adds to that feeling of tightness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭cmac2009

So would you say Puma's run small? I usually go half size up and it usually works for most brands I've used.

No it's not the Nike thing. It's more a feeling that the performance levels of 'super' shoes have pretty much converged. The days of athletes wearing blacked out shoes is gone. If anything it seems that some other brands are far more visible at elite level marathon and triathlon.

Mine are very snug in width but fine for length.

I would say they suit a narrow/medium-width foot, but I have found they all run a little long. I've got a narrow foot and went down half a size for the magnify with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Do you have a preference for which of the Alphafly and Vaporfly to wear for specific race distances?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking to get a new pair of running shoes now (current pair are starting to wear quite a bit) and I have the DCM next month. I've never tried any of the Endorphin Pro, Alphafly or Vaporfly but am intrigued to see how I get on with them.

Your post semi suggests you have one pair of runners which you need to replace. I wouldn't be recommending either for every day wear if that's what you mean.

For racing I think both can be used at any distance. The alphafly have a few more critics than the vaporfly in terms of how they feel . They're certainly unique!

Personally I would recommend the alphaflys for the marathon. The vaporfly are something else, what a beautiful shoe to wear, fast fast. I prefer them for short runs, speed sessions.

I sneak them on for tempo training sessions when I'm not in the humour or tired but generally I wouldn't wear them other than all out racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement

As mentioned above carbon plate supershoe effort from Decathlon designed for the cushioning to last longer for high miles due to a denser foam. With something like the Vapofly Next showing cushioning degradation after 250 miles for those sensitive to it might be worth looking at as more reports come out.

Decathlon have a full shoe design and tech unit behind this. It's not some amateur effort. Will be interesting to see how the long term tests hold up.

In some other areas of high tech sports products like their highest range tennis rackets Decathlon also have full r+d units and are as good as the head or Wilson but half the price due to not having to pay back massive marketing and sponsorship costs

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement