Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Started running recently in Brooks Pure Cadence after donkey's years in Mizuno Inspire. Haven't run in the Mizuno for 6 weeks now, feel quite chunky compared to the Cadence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Started running recently in Brooks Pure Cadence after donkey's years in Mizuno Inspire. Haven't run in the Mizuno for 6 weeks now, feel quite chunky compared to the Cadence.

The pure line are interesting looking shoes. How stable are the Cadence and would the advertised stability on cadence be any use for people used to traditional stability shoes like the Kayano or Adrenaline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Asiscs Cumulus wearer here - have gone thru several pairs now in the last 3-4 years and will be in the market again soon for the next installment.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy last year's version (13 iirc) anywhere? - have priced a few online places and the latest ones all seem to be around €100 :eek:. Don't think I've ever paid more than €60-65 for Cumulus.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

I'm wearing Adidas Supernova Sequence 5s at the moment. Only starting to get more serious about my running over the past few months and am in need of a change. I've had these for quite a while and I'd be pretty happy with them because in the 8 or 9 months I've been wearing them I haven't picked up any injuries or niggles but on 10miles plus they feel so so heavy. I did the Wexford half last Sunday and in the last 2-3 miles I really noticed the weight of them. Have a lighter pair of ancient acsics that I rotate but don't know what type they are and they're so worn at this stage they have to be retired.

When I bought the Supernovas I never had a gait analysis done. (Didn't even know what gait was) So should I be looking to get another pair of support runners? I'm going to buy online and was looking at the Adizero Ace since I like the feel of an Adidas shoe but I don't know if they'll suit me. I'm looking to do a marathon the end of June or if the upping of mileage is too much maybe not until Dublin.

The pure line are interesting looking shoes. How stable are the Cadence and would the advertised stability on cadence be any use for people used to traditional stability shoes like the Kayano or Adrenaline?

Good question.

The stabilising effect on the Cadence comes from pods on the sole which 'prop' up the shoe in the event of over pronation. Very light support, nothing like the Kayano / Adrenaline.

*Ancedotal Evidence Warning*

The reduction in overall cushioning as well as the lower heel to toe profile means the landing zone is about 2.5cm further forward in the shoe relative to your Adrenaline / Kayano lessing heel impact and subsequent overpronation.

In theory the lessened forces generated require less structure which is why they work well. All encouraging a better running form.

I'd a good look on video comparing with my normal shoes before I took the plunge. 4 weeks later (Elixir before that) and regular 20k runs in them with no issues, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Cheers amphibiankingwest,

I've followed the route Kayano-Elixir, having transitioned completely to Elixir since January. I've done most of my 14 marathons in the Elixir, and absolutely love the shoe.

My worry about something like the Green Silence is my weight. I weigh in at 70kg, which I know isn't heavy, but I'm no featherweight either. But, I always feel like the lighter the shoe, then the lighter should be the person wearing them. Would a 70kg person take a bit of a battering doing too much mileage in a shoe as light as the GS? I suppose I'll learn myself when I get into a good block of training during the summer, but would you think mixing up the three shoes like this would be a good option:

Tempo Runs: Elixir
    Intervals: Green Silence
    LSRs over 18 miles: Kayano
    Recovery: Elixir

Racing, I've got Hyperspeeds for 5k-10k, and Elixir for anything longer. I'll have to decide where and if the Green Silence will have a part to play in that rotation.

Cheers amphibiankingwest,

I've followed the route Kayano-Elixir, having transitioned completely to Elixir since January. I've done most of my 14 marathons in the Elixir, and absolutely love the shoe.

My worry about something like the Green Silence is my weight. I weigh in at 70kg, which I know isn't heavy, but I'm no featherweight either. But, I always feel like the lighter the shoe, then the lighter should be the person wearing them. Would a 70kg person take a bit of a battering doing too much mileage in a shoe as light as the GS? I suppose I'll learn myself when I get into a good block of training during the summer, but would you think mixing up the three shoes like this would be a good option:

Tempo Runs: Elixir
    Intervals: Green Silence
    LSRs over 18 miles: Kayano
    Recovery: Elixir

Racing, I've got Hyperspeeds for 5k-10k, and Elixir for anything longer. I'll have to decide where and if the Green Silence will have a part to play in that rotation.

Similar path to me. But I'm 84kg

3 years ago - x2 pairs Inspire for everything fast, slow, up/down hill, long short
    2 years ago - x2 Inspire slow, long (10k+); Ronin 5k / intervals
    1 year ago - Inspire (mood suits); Elixir (Yeah Baby!!)
    This year - Inspire (meh) Elixir / Cadence - slow, long, tempo, interval; Fastwitch temp, interval racing. Pure Grit - offroad stuff.

Tons of other shoes for random purposes :)

Green Silence I love as a casual shoe, I don't run in them as I like them too much for all day everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

gearoidol and others - any chance you could post a link to the sof sole waterproof product you bought?

I had a look on the website and can't find it....

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

longford76 wrote: »
    gearoidol and others - any chance you could post a link to the sof sole waterproof product you bought?

I had a look on the website and can't find it....

Cheers

I think this is it here:
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/nikwax-nubuck-and-suede-waterproof-780059

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

I got the pure cadence in January. Have 400km done in them now, longest runs have been a couple of 21k. Injury free, and largely pain free. Had to improve my form a lot initially to get the best out of them, but am very happy with them, will get another pair in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I got the Pure Cadence as a replacement for Kinvaras and I must say I like them about as much as the Kinvaras. Which is not much at all. They are comfortable enough but they seem to direct my forefoot to land on the inside, even after coming down on the outside. I always get blisters on the side of my big toe and the ball of my foot if I go past about 7 or 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have to say I'm super impressed with the durability of the Inov-8 Road X series, I'm closing in on 400 miles on both my pairs and they both feel brand new.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm super impressed with the durability of the Inov-8 Road X series, I'm closing in on 400 miles on both my pairs and they both feel brand new.

I've a pair of 155's and love them. Haven't worn them in ages actually. Must take them out of the box again.

Recently got new pair of Fastwitch 6 (lovely) Adidas Adios (awesome) and Mizuno Levitas (Mizuno get their second and last chance)

Have pure connect, liked them for a while but I don't really run in them much anymore. They're OK. Not too fussed on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I've a pair of 155's and love them. Haven't worn them in ages actually. Must take them out of the box again.

Recently got new pair of Fastwitch 6 (lovely) Adidas Adios (awesome) and Mizuno Levitas (Mizuno get their second and last chance)

Have pure connect, liked them for a while but I don't really run in them much anymore. They're OK. Not too fussed on them.

Funny you say that about the mizuno, before I went to inov-8, I had a pair of wave riders but they just didn't work for me so I binned them, tried the road-x and haven't looked back.

What didn't you like about mizuno?
    Mine just gave me a niggle on the top of my foot that would appear as soon as I put them on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have started running in Kinvara's as well as my brooks ghost's, and really liking the kinvaras, so thinking trying the inov-8 might be a good next step

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Funny you say that about the mizuno, before I went to inov-8, I had a pair of wave riders but they just didn't work for me so I binned them, tried the road-x and haven't looked back.

What didn't you like about mizuno?
    Mine just gave me a niggle on the top of my foot that would appear as soon as I put them on.

Just don't like them, have had one pair (got injured) and have tried a couple of other pairs and just don't like the feel of them, or the movement of them. Most people I know who've worn them have ended up injured.

I'm actually tempted to send these mizuno's back. :o

Gave the Brooks Green Silence its first run-out on Friday evening. Was well impressed with the shoe. I definitely felt like it would be pushing me further to the mid-foot, and it really is asking to be ran fast.

Took the decision to race a 10k in them yesterday. Got on good, runners felt grand. But, got a lot of chaffing on the back of my heel. Could've done with socks that were a bit higher, and there'd have been no issue I'm sure.

I'll need to wear it another couple of times, in longer and slower conditions to really get a feel for it as it's kind of hard to tell after a very tough race, but I'm definitely sure that the runner will find its place for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Gave the Brooks Green Silence its first run-out on Friday evening. Was well impressed with the shoe. I definitely felt like it would be pushing me further to the mid-foot, and it really is asking to be ran fast.

Took the decision to race a 10k in them yesterday. Got on good, runners felt grand. But, got a lot of chaffing on the back of my heel. Could've done with socks that were a bit higher, and there'd have been no issue I'm sure.

I'll need to wear it another couple of times, in longer and slower conditions to really get a feel for it as it's kind of hard to tell after a very tough race, but I'm definitely sure that the runner will find its place for me.

Would they be durable enough for a daily training shoe where you do the hard miles on all terrain or would you keep them for racing and the occasional training run?

I'm in the market for something lighter for the road races at the moment.

Does anyone know where else I can get a pair of Brooks Green Silence? I got a pair from sportshoes.com but they no longer have my size. I would love another pair before they disappear completely.

• Advertisement

Seanmac,
    I'm not sure I'll be able to use the Green Silence for my everyday shoe to be honest. I don't really want to really. I've been using the Mizuno Elixir as the all rounder this year, having previously used it only sparingly with the Kayano as my all rounder.

I think you'd need to be a very efficient and nimble runner to use the Green Silence as an all-rounder. I'll likely use it for tempo or interval work, so probably only once a week until I get a proper feel for whether I want to use it more than that. Saying that, my initial impressions of it are that it would definitely be durable enough to take plenty of miles. It's a very well put together shoe, and despite being as light as my Asics Hyperspeeds, it feels more cushioned and more durable. Time will tell, I suppose.

I got mine on sportsshoes.com, but I think I saw them cheap on wiggle.co.uk too. Try amazon.co.uk, you'll probably find them cheap enough there too, just might take a bit of time with finding someone who does reasonable delivery costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It just seems wrong!
    164939_10150327323179969_2022770385_n.jpg

Does anyone know where else I can get a pair of Brooks Green Silence? I got a pair from sportshoes.com but they no longer have my size. I would love another pair before they disappear completely.

What size? They are like hen's teeth now.

It just seems wrong!
    164939_10150327323179969_2022770385_n.jpg

Flies completely contradictory to the whole iNOV8 ethos as far as I can see but then they are a weight lifting shoe aimed at the whole Crossfit crowd.

What size? They are like hen's teeth now.

I got a size 8.5 the last time and they fit perfectly.

I got a size 8.5 the last time and they fit perfectly.

size 8.5 on Amazon for £29.99. don't know what postage is / would be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brooks-Green-Silence-Racing-Running/dp/B004J4WW22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368028991&sr=8-1&keywords=green+silence

glasso wrote: »

Cheers glasso thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Stopped of in amphibian king on friday and picked up a pair of brooks ravenna 4.
    Was pleased with the ravenna 3 , tried(but not comfortable in) the mizuno wave inspire 8, and so back to the ravennas.
    Took them out for a jaunt yesterday and well pleased with them. I'm thinking brooks will be my main shoe going forward...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Stumbled into a Skechers shop yesterday while killing time waiting for the missus.....would be interested to hear some feedback on the Skechers range too?

The 2 main features are:
    1) They are extremely light and
    2) They are extremely colourful

A geniune piece of running equipment or another cool looking shoe that you can dazzle your colleagues with on casual Fridays??

Thought I'd bounce this as with their Go Run 2 model they've also expanded their range slightly, they've now got I think 3 versions of their running shoe and also now a trail shoe.

The general consensus on the internet is very positive, the guy Skechers brought in to kick off their foray into serious running shoes was the designer of the Nike Free Run.

Like Cartman I had a gander of them in a Skechers store over the weekend and I actually have a pair of their Go Walk mens range. Look pretty much like running shoes and they're extremely light and comfy, even without socks, something which I normally hate doing as their built in sock liner is pretty seamless.

So is anyone running (or admit to running) in their running shoes ?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Thought I'd bounce this as with their Go Run 2 model they've also expanded their range slightly, they've now got I think 3 versions of their running shoe and also now a trail shoe.

The general consensus on the internet is very positive, the guy Skechers brought in to kick off their foray into serious running shoes was the designer of the Nike Free Run.

Like Cartman I had a gander of them in a Skechers store over the weekend and I actually have a pair of their Go Walk mens range. Look pretty much like running shoes and they're extremely light and comfy, even without socks, something which I normally hate doing as their built in sock liner is pretty seamless.

So is anyone running (or admit to running) in their running shoes ?

http://www.runblogger.com/2013/02/skechers-gorun-2-review-how-running.html

this guy is great on lighter and minimalist shoes. was also involved in the gorun update.

Advertisement