Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

asics gt 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Update: Two runs in the sequence boosts. Great cushioning. The boost system does seem to do what adidas claims it does. Nice and soft and good energy return. The sequence being a support shoe is not really designed for out and out speed and I used them in a tempo for their maiden voyage! I just couldn't wait any longer to give them a spin! They still felt good but I'd not be using them for that type of run again. Tonight I took them out for a slow run and they were great. They will be my workhorse from now on. Again lovely cushioning and plenty of protection from the rough road surfaces around where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Any Brooks fans?
    I started in the Brooks Glycerin 10 and loved them, got a pair of 11 then as a result after testing them out and getting gait monitored again. Found them slightly bigger so would get blisters on the side. Found a very reasonably priced pair on Amazon so in Sept switched from the 11 back to these 10 for the marathon and training weeks in the lead up to it and noticed from these that I'd have sore soles but felt perfect out running. I noticed on the weekend that these are the only ones left with bounce so need to start my research for next pair to start alternating. The 12's seem to be the same fit and size as the 11's, any recommendations for a neutral runner for either Brooks or beyond? Am advised 'perfect arches' if that helps.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Brooks Ghost are a good neutral shoe I think. I had a pair of the Ghost 6, the new version is a bit lighter I think, could be worth a look.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Brooks Ghost are a good neutral shoe I think. I had a pair of the Ghost 6, the new version is a bit lighter I think, could be worth a look.

You concur with the Brooks site, they recommend the Ghost 7. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

aquinn wrote: »
    You concur with the Brooks site, they recommend the Ghost 7. Thanks

gone through a good few pairs of ghost 7's for my recovery runs,very comfortable shoe and really forgiving when your tired and not landing properly.

gearoidol wrote: »
    gone through a good few pairs of ghost 7's for my recovery runs,very comfortable shoe and really forgiving when your tired and not landing properly.

Oh cool, thanks for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I went from Brooks Ghost 6 to Saucony Ride 7. They are nice as well but a smaller heel to Toe drop(8mm) when compared to the Brooks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

could say i'm a brooks fan.

pair of pure drift for 5/10km races
    pure flow for similar
    ravenna mixed up with Ghost 6 for easy runs/long runs

the ghost 6 replaced a ghost 5 which reached EOL.. Pureflow will be the next to go and will be replaced with the same again.

the ghost probably my favourite of the lot, it's jsut a workhorse of a shoe. i have kinvara's as well and i like some things about them more than the pureflow. the pure drift aren't far off the kinvara but not run enough in them to really have a feel for them yet

mossym wrote: »
    could say i'm a brooks fan.

pair of pure drift for 5/10km races
    pure flow for similar
    ravenna mixed up with Ghost 6 for easy runs/long runs

the ghost 6 replaced a ghost 5 which reached EOL.. Pureflow will be the next to go and will be replaced with the same again.

the ghost probably my favourite of the lot, it's jsut a workhorse of a shoe. i have kinvara's as well and i like some things about them more than the pureflow. the pure drift aren't far off the kinvara but not run enough in them to really have a feel for them yet

How many pairs is that then? :D

Yes, I'd definitely call you a Brooks fan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aquinn wrote: »
    How many pairs is that then? :D

Yes, I'd definitely call you a Brooks fan.

4. was 5 at one stage.

didn't mention the other couple of pairs i have. (non brooks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Anyone know the brooks equivalent to the asics gt 1000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nolars wrote: »
    Anyone know the brooks equivalent to the asics gt 1000?

Vapor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Anyone know what I should be looking at as a replacement for my final ever pair of Asics 2160's?

In the last year I've tried Brooks GTS 14's and Nike Structure 17's. The Brooks seemed ok initially but gradually turned out to be like a pretty poor 2160 and as for the Nike's well those things are like two planks of mahogany strapped to my feet with some tissue between my feet and the hardwood underneath...kill it with fire. I ended up with the worst year of injuries in my life, simply changing shoes seems to have triggered lots of arch pain, shin splints, etc. Only fully recovered now and ready to ramp up my running again but totally confused as to what shoes I should be going for.

I threw on the 2160's last night and went for a light jog and it's kind of scary that a seriously battered old pair of 2160's still feels more cushioned, more plush, more stable and just better all round designed for my feet than the GTS 14 or Structure 17. Maybe I just have really weird feet but I'm struggling to find a 2160 replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

puddles22 wrote: »
    asics gt 2000

I had the GT1000 and needed to replace a few weeks ago. Went with the GT 3000s and I love them.

So never got to try the GT 2000s in the end. What do you think of them?

I've only ever ran long distance with Asics. Well I had a pair of Mizunos too but was told they were 'too hard' after I had my gait analysed and switched to Asics. I have high arches and tend to roll outwards!

Anyone else recommend a good solid shoe with all over cushioning like the GT range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057406095

Asics gel-kayano 21 for about 100 just do the instructions from this thread(you don't have to create a new account).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Sorry to ask again but when it comes to running shoes, I have stayed with the same ones and scared to venture into new buys incase I mess up BUT curiosity is getting the better of me. Will I be able to run even better with a different pair of shoes?

Currently ASICS Gt 3000. I need a FULL support shoe with gel (like duomax). I have high arches, feet roll in etc so a full support shoe is very important.

I'm female - not sure if that effects the choice though?

Pink11 wrote:
    Currently ASICS Gt 3000. I need a FULL support shoe with gel (like duomax). I have high arches, feet roll in etc so a full support shoe is very important.

Go try out a few pairs. I've done this for my last few pairs and even if I still buy the same pair, but new version it's good to try out a few. The run hub in Ashtown is my first recommendation if local for you. It isn't really for me but worth the journey for service and patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Could resist the Adidas 25% off.
    B34809_01_standard.jpg?sw=500&sfrm=jpg
    Crafted for elite racing club runners with the Imelda Marcos gene by master Japanese cobblers Omori and Mimura, these men's running shoes weigh in at a mere 170 g. With energy-returning boost™, a grippy Continental™ Rubber outsole, and Coolever mesh with eco-friendly Tirrenina suede overlays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Pink11 wrote: »
    I had the GT1000 and needed to replace a few weeks ago. Went with the GT 3000s and I love them.

So never got to try the GT 2000s in the end. What do you think of them?

I've only ever ran long distance with Asics. Well I had a pair of Mizunos too but was told they were 'too hard' after I had my gait analysed and switched to Asics. I have high arches and tend to roll outwards!

Anyone else recommend a good solid shoe with all over cushioning like the GT range?
    Pink11 wrote: »
    Sorry to ask again but when it comes to running shoes, I have stayed with the same ones and scared to venture into new buys incase I mess up BUT curiosity is getting the better of me. Will I be able to run even better with a different pair of shoes?

I'm female - not sure if that effects the choice though?
    I am coming to the realisation that Asics GT are the (only!) shoe for me for general training. I have flat feet and overpronate (less than when younger) so also need instep support. I've tried two other brands over the last six months but both times in less than a week had to admit defeat and return to Asics (GT 2000). To be honest, they fit like a glove. I'm have to accept that I'm not going to experience the joys of a variety of running shoes :(

I use the Saucony A6 for racing and fast stuff, love them but couldn't use them for everyday training...I would if I could!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Could resist the Adidas 25% off.
    B34809_01_standard.jpg?sw=500&sfrm=jpg

Beep, are they the new Takumi Ren? I've been thinking of the Sen 2 or 3 for next marathon. Any early comments appreciated. I saw on one site that they're narrow, as the last Adidas I got were too.

Itziger wrote: »
    Beep, are they the new Takumi Ren? I've been thinking of the Sen 2 or 3 for next marathon. Any early comments appreciated. I saw on one site that they're narrow, as the last Adidas I got were too.

Should have them in a few days and will let you know after a few spins.
    Yes they're the Ren, don't think there's too much difference, the Sen they say is a little more responsive.
    I'm normally a 10, but I've gone up a half a size anyway based on my Adios Boost 2.0 which I find a little cramped in the toe area.
    They didn't have a 10.5 in the Sen, so I settled on the Ren.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Should have them in a few days and will let you know after a few spins.
    Yes they're the Ren, don't think there's too much difference, the Sen they say is a little more responsive.
    I'm normally a 10, but I've gone up a half a size anyway based on my Adios Boost 2.0 which I find a little cramped in the toe area.
    They didn't have a 10.5 in the Sen, so I settled on the Ren.

So these arrived yesterday, no runs yet, but wore them around the house a little yesterday evening and a few strides out the front.

They are a nice fit and very comfortable straight out of the box, but I expect that from a new shoe now.
    I'm glad I went up half a size, these fit perfect for me at Uk size 10.5, with just a nice amount of room above the toes.
    These are classed as a lightweight trainer, but definitely have a 'racer' feel to them. While not quite a flat, I'm estimating about 7mm drop, they feel firm and responsive.
    Actual weight for the 10.5 is 200gms on the nose and feel very light on.

Will get them out on a few tempo runs to get a proper assessment, but I think these have the potential to be a solid 10M + racer alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Asics gt 2000 3's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Asics Kayano 21. On a related topic does anyone find 1000 mile socks really compress your foot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Currently doing most of my miles in sketchers go ride 3, will be buying them again, really light and cushioned. Cheap too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Using saucony Triumph Iso for mileage.Hoka Clifden for some recovery runs and Adidas takumi sen for sessions.
    Might get another pair of NB 1400's soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Using saucony Triumph Iso for mileage.Hoka Clifden for some recovery runs and Adidas takumi sen for sessions.
    Might get another pair of NB 1400's soon.

How do you find the Sen shoe? Do they feel speedy or do you think they're up to a marathon? I'm 67kg and relatively neutral stride I think. Are they kinda narrow? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I currently run in Adidas Adios 2's and Adidas Boston Boost 5's both of which i really like, Comfortable, light and good fit.
    But i am considering trying the Asics DS Trainer 20's, Does anybody have experience with these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Are the Adidas Ultra Boost Shoes any good? I'm tempted.

Advertisement